Options

Anyone Used PlastiDip to Change Trim Color?

Not a fan of the bright red so thinking of using PlastiDip to change the trim color on my 320S.  I like it because it is reversible and not permanent.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    This thread mentions Krylon, etc, and towards the bottom of the page Plastidip is mentioned and shown on a trailer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Whilst painting (or plastic dip) treatments allow a color change, especially if going from a light to darker color, work, they can be scratched and marks will show up more than the OEM trim color.  The ABS trim is made from colored material, and is the same color all the way through, so scratches and minor dings do not show up, except at close inspection.  Since the trim is at the corners of the trailer, and can get bumped or scratched, this is an advantage.

Our TaB came with blue trim, not my first choice, as the TV is black, so black,or silver would have been a better choice.  But, after a while the Blue turned out to be a good choice, doesn’t show makes like black would, nor dirt as readily as silver would.  Give it some time, and see if the Red doesn’t grown on you…
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @Denny16 Pekoe’s had their trailer since 2019, if they haven’t fallen in love with the red by now, it’s not happening. 😁

@Pekoe1111 I’m thinking about using black PlastiDip on the white corner handles on mine. Alternatively, I’ve thought about finding a bedliner coating place to coat the handles. For now, they’re wrapped with black bicycle handlebar tape, and it looks so much better than the original white. So I know where you’re coming from on this!

In your case, it’s probably worth experimenting on a small section first, and then trying to scratch or scuff the PlastiDip to see how well it holds up. Doing all that trim will take time and a few coats, so you definitely want to know it will wear well enough for your purposes.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Thanks Victoria, didn’t know how long he had the TaB.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Pekoe1111Pekoe1111 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks all!  Good suggestion about trying one piece first.
  • Options
    Pekoe1111Pekoe1111 Member Posts: 37
    Also thinking about just removing big side panels.  It will leave holes I’m sure but wondering if the sun will have changed the color of the side compared to the area under the panel.