Options

QUESTION RE: Solar Panel for my 2018 TAB 320S

Hi savvy RVers,

The dealer installed a solar sidewall port and I'm thinking of finally getting a panel.
I camp for maybe 3-5 days, twice a year HOWEVER... I'm thinking it may be useful when the grid goes down for two weeks, etc...
Is the panel below overkill??
Thanks for your opinions!

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    This would work.  On a TaB 320, a single 100-watt panel would work for battery up to 100 amps.  You need at least 200-watts for a TaB400.
    Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    The panel size you want really depends on where you live. Farther north, you may be better off with 200 watts for every 100 ah of battery, because the amount of solar energy you can capture is significantly reduced versus, say, someone in Arizona. More watts will also charge faster.

If you’re genuinely thinking about this for “grid goes down for two weeks” events as mentioned, you need to also think about when that’s likely to happen in your location. Hurricane season in the South? Yes, this could help some once the wind dies down. Mid Winter ice storm in Seattle? Get a generator, because 200 watts of solar at that time of year in that location can produce as little as 6 watts…not enough to be useful.

And lastly, you’re not limited to Zamp panels. Other brands will work if you want to either save money or get more panels for the same amount. You need to know whether your port is connected to a controller already (probably isn’t) so you can pick a suitcase with or without a controller as needed. You may also need reverse polarity adapter, but that’s cheap and easy to get/use.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    I know everyone loves their Zamps...but for 1000 dollars you could buy three 100 watt Renogy/Dokio/Ecoworthy/Acopower setups.
    Or, any one of those setups and a new lithium battery.
    You don't say what trailer, fridge, or battery you currently have, which is crucial info for planning these things out.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    AudioGirlAudioGirl Member Posts: 19
    Denny & Victoria:
    Thanks so much for the education!
    The panel comes with it's own Charge Controller; Plug & Play I'm told.
    But how does that work exactly?
    Does it kick on as soon as I plug it in?
    I've attached pics.

And Victoria, I did have a Generac generator (w 500 gal propane tank) installed last year for the house. I'm thinking of the TAB as a backup to the backup. :-)

Thanks again!

• Options
    Hi PT Thomas,
    You make good points.
    The reviews of the ZAMP build quality is very, VERY positive but a negative is the weight.
    I think it's 46 pounds.

I put the TRAILER info in the SUBJECT heading above; NuCamp 2018 TAB, 320S.
    The battery is a Lifeline Battery GPL-24T

Thanks for the info!

• Options
    @AudioGirl Many owners love their Zamps, as I said.  All solar suitcases with solid panels are heavy, because basically they are two solar panels connected with a hinge. A 200 watt Renogy panel is 36 pounds all by itself.
    The other panels mentioned (Dokio and Acopower) have lighter weight setups using "flexible" panels that weigh less than 15 pounds (depending on size) and have several owners here who like them. Your "port" on the side of the trailer is a simple "SAE port", and any of these panels can be used with the proper cable that plugs into your "port". As Victoria said, it is easy to do, and many owners have made it work for them.

Your battery is the "stock" 80 amp hour battery, with "about" 40 amp hours "available".  Now that it is 4 years old....it might be time to upgrade to a larger battery along with your solar install. 
    What fridge do you have in the trailer? That will make a big difference in your battery choice.
    None of this is hard.  Sounds like it, the way we can go on and on about it......but, not really.
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    Thanks for the thorough reply, P Thomas.

Re: fridge, it's a Norcold Compact, 1.8 cu. ft. capacity.

BTW, while searching for the fridge model #, prices for a 2022 TAB came up; holy cannolli!
    So glad I bought when i did!
    Anyhoo, I'll do search on the other products you mentioned.

Re: your "none of this is hard" comment, evidently not for you! Lol.

I'm still a neophyte having taken the baby RV out a few times.
    Twice from CA to NW AR to look at property-- with several stays along the way, of course.
    And twice to an actual just for fun campground.
    I'm not a "handy" person and it's my 1st "tricked out" RV so the learning curve is steep.
    I so appreciate the input from savvy ppl like you all.

Thanks again!

• Options
    The question on the fridge is: is it a "2 way" or " 3 way".  A 3 way can run on propane, which simplifies the power concerns.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    On the 2018 TaBs, nüCamp switched the fridge to a Norcold 1.7cu ft. NR751BB, which is aAC/DC fridge with an approximate 1.5 amp draw, compressor type.

"Power consumption (W/24h) = 360 W, 30WPH.  Not sure if they used this on the 320s in 2018, but it was part of the original 2018 TaB400 builds

I would consider switching the battery to a 100amp lithium, and get a Renogy TypeError flexible solar panel suitcase setup, 100-150 watts should work fine.

Cheers 

• Options
    PThomas:
    it’s a 3-way fridge.

Denny:
    That’s not the model # of the fridge on my Tab…
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I’ll add it to the research!
    Much appreciated!
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    Denny16 said:
    On the 2018 TaBs, nüCamp switched the fridge to a Norcold 1.7cu ft. NR751BB, which is aAC/DC fridge with an approximate 1.5 amp draw, compressor type.

"Power consumption (W/24h) = 360 W, 30WPH

I would consider switching the battery to a 100amp lithium, and get a Renogy TypeError flexible solar panel suitcase setup, 100-150 watts should work fine.

Cheers 

I am also a newbie with regards to solar, and have a few questions about where to start. We have a 2018 Tab 320 with the two way fridge, but we do not have an sae port.

1) What 100 amp lithium battery would you recommend?
    2) What does the 100 amp lithium buy us over our standard 80 amp wet cell battery in terms of capacity? 
    3) Which battery affects tongue weight the most?
    4) Without the sae port how would the Renogy connect to the battery?
    5) Living in NW Ohio, winter can be a challenge, with temps sometimes below freezing for weeks. We've even had weeks of below zero temps in the not too distant past. How should the battery be managed under such conditions? 
    6) Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    AudioGirl, thanks for the update.  So with a 3-way, you will not have a constant 12 VDC drain from the fridge.  The 3-way in propane mode has a very low 12 VDC current drain.  You main power use is going to be lights, fan, and any 12VDC accessories, like the TV or Stereo use.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Denny,
    goid to know! 
    Thank you 😊 
  • Options
    JP2558 said:
    I am also a newbie with regards to solar, and have a few questions about where to start. We have a 2018 Tab 320 with the two way fridge, but we do not have an sae port.

1) What 100 amp lithium battery would you recommend?
    2) What does the 100 amp lithium buy us over our standard 80 amp wet cell battery in terms of capacity? 
    3) Which battery affects tongue weight the most?
    4) Without the sae port how would the Renogy connect to the battery?
    5) Living in NW Ohio, winter can be a challenge, with temps sometimes below freezing for weeks. We've even had weeks of below zero temps in the not too distant past. How should the battery be managed under such conditions? 
    6) Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!
    Answers:  
    1.  I looked at Renogy and Battleborn, best warranty and reliable. 
    2.  A 100AH Lithium gets you 80 to 90 amp.hrs. of energy, where the lead acid only allows 40-45 amp.hrs. Of energy, so double the amount of 12VDC energy.
    3.  The lead acid, followed by the AGM.  A lithium is about half that weight. 
    4. Are you referring to a portable solar panel?  If so, I’d install a SAE port, easy to do. Otherwise, most portable solar panel kits have a cord with alligator clips to attach to the battery.
    5.  Good lite batteries have an option for battery heater built in.  Also since the battery is in the Tub, two bolts and remove the battery and take it inside for the winter where it can be kept aboveb 0F
    6.  Not that I can think of.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    @JP2558 There are many choices for lithiums.  I'm a Will Prowse fan, and his recommendations are here.  He has a lot of videos, and the ones that explain exactly what you are buying when you go to lithium are quite useful.  The SOK batteries here are used by many members.  I bought one of the Ampere Times. There are many lithium threads, and owners have purchased many different brands at every price point. 
    Your standard 80 amp hour lead acid battery gives you 40 "usable" amp hours.  The way to get the most "cycles" from a lead acid battery is to try to keep the battery state of charge above 50 percent (about 12.1V). Which means 40 amp hours.  Your fridge in your CS, if left to cycle on and off all day, might use about 30 of those amp hours.  A lithium battery can use 90 percent (about) of their amp hours without any problem. So, a 100 amp hour lithium will basically double your amp hours available, (90 amp hours) and be able to handle the fridge loads and allow a cushion for the rest of the trailer for a couple of days.  Add a decent solar input, and you can boondock for a good amount of time. Short answer, the lithium doubles your usable amp hours from the stock 80 ah battery.
    Dual 6V batteries can provide the same "boost" as the lithiums.  A pair of 6v batteries would be much heavier than the stock lead acid battery....90 pounds each?  A pair of those would be the biggest change.
    There are many different adapters that can be connected directly to the battery that would enable a simple solar hookup.  In the 320, you would just have to open the battery box.  There are several examples of this by various owners.  The easiest way: battery clamps from the solar controller to the battery.
    A fully charged lead acid battery, with the trailer battery switch off, will hold a charge for months.  A fully charged lead acid battery won't freeze until the temps reach -80F.  Many owners just drag those heavy batteries out, in any case.
    Lithium batteries can not be charged when "below freezing".  "Charged below freezing".  They work just fine in freezing temps, but cannot be charged.  I have looked and looked, and I have not found out if this means the battery cells below freezing, the air temp below freezing, or...what?  Will Prowse can describe this better than I can, when he talks about "low temperature charging protection" on lithium batteries. (I'd have to know more about lithium batteries in extreme cold temps, so, again, listen to Mr. Prowse.
    Here is the Will "easy" solar videos. 
    This is the Prowse SOk battery review, to give you an idea how he goes about explaining things.  He has reviewed practically every lithium battery, so if you have one in mind, search for his review.  After you have seen him take a power saw to a battery to see what is inside, the mystery will be greatly lessened.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    pthomas745 Thank you so much for the input. You've given me more food for thought!

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    As far as working without an SAE port, some owners simply connect an SAE cable to the battery, and leave it accessible outside the battery box.  No need to open the box and fiddle with clamps.  This "iGreely" cable is a little short, this is what I'm talking about.  No drilling, etc.  There are different flavors of connectors: Anderson, MC4, etc.

I wound up watching a few more Will Prowse videos last night. This video is a comparison of several different batteries.  He has done this for a few years, so he can really tell a badly made lithium from a good one.  The last two batteries here appear to be the same battery. (The Ruixu and the SOK).  It appears that SOK has improved their battery management system.  He points out the difference in the last couple of years in their BMS, etc.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    Whilst the battery part of these Lithium packs are very similar, and most have similar capabilities, the difference comes down to how they are enclosed (the quality of case) and the reliability of the internal BDS, and how the battery cells are managed during charge and discharge.  Also the choice comes down to availability of post purchase support and warranty, all of which add to a unit’s cost.  This is why I have limited my choice to the top three US manufacturers of Lithium RV battery systems designed for use in RV and Marine applications.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 181
    I used 2 Bluetti 120w portable solar panels. They're lightweight. I use one in conjunction with a Bluetti 500w solar generator (battery) to run my ICECO 20 portable frig if off grid. Use the other to charge my 100a/h lithium battery if off grid. Like the portable ones for their flexibility and if I want to park the T@B in the shade and run panels out to sunny area. If parked in sunny area, I drape the panels across the top of my T@B. Also use the solar generator between my truck 12v receptacle and my portable frig when traveling. If stop, it powers the portable frig when I turn the ignition off. Everything working fine so far. No complaints.
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods