Options

Wireless brake controller

nettlesnettles Member Posts: 30
I have a 2013 Highlander limited with  a 4 pin connector.  I have an appointment to get a 7 pin plug and a brake controller with UHaul.  I asked for a wired controller but I think they quoted for a 90250 prodigy rf which may be wireless. Preference for wired controller due to concern that cargo in rear of tow vehicle might interfere with wireless signal.  Any thoughts?
2018 T@B 320s, 2013 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited July 2022
    No, the Prodigy wireless controller is mounted (hard wired or plugged into to the trailer), and uses RF (radio frequency) signals to connect to the controller in the TV, not IR,WiFi or Bluetooth.  So it does not need a line of sight connection, and cargo in the truck will not interfere with the connection.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @nettles what @Denny16 said X2! We have 45,000 miles traveled with multiple tow vehicles, jam packed and lightly loaded. No issues, no interference, no blocked signals, no failures and flawless performance with the Prodigy RF. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @nettles - the 7 pin from the TV and the TaB will plug into the Prodigy.  Very reversible if you need/want to change it, but you will likely find it to work perfectly.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    Another thumbs up for the Prodigy. Only a year and a few thousand miles with it, but it's worked flawlessly during that time.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    Wow, all this is good to know.  I will probably stick with this configuration even though it wasn't what I asked for.  Then I'll be ready when the right TAB comes along.  Still hoping a 400 solo pops up in Columbus, Ohio area but I am open to other options.
  • Options
    Getting the Prodigy RF mounted will likely cost less than a traditional hard wired unit, and a lot easier to use.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Denny16 said:
    Getting the Prodigy RF mounted will likely cost less than a traditional hard wired unit, and a lot easier to use.
     Cheers 
    That is somewhat misleading IMHO.
    A Tekonsha IQ costs 1 one quarter of RF. That will most certainly pay for 7 pin installation if it's even required. Many current vehicles come pre-wired.
    WRT ease of use, how could anything possibly be easier to use than the hard mounted IQ? Mine sits in my truck 24/7, already dialed in, ready to go. It hasn't been touched in over 5 years. I don't have to carry any extra remotes or other bits around. There are no apps on my phone. I do not hit my knees on it. It gets the job done.
    I do not use multiple TV's so there is zero advantage to having a more complicated and costly RF unit in my pre-wired vehicle. The two tiny screw holes mounting it under the dash are totally invisible.
    That said, if I could justify and RF unit, the Prodigy would be my preference.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    All true, but not sure a 2013 Highlander, without a factory 7-pint setup is prewired for Tekonsha IQ type controller.  I know my old dodge truck was not, and it had a factory tow package on it with the 7-pin.  I was quoted $200-300 labor to add a hardwired brake controller by a trailer repair shop.  

You may be correct, but my experience with UHaul installs, they normally take the least $ route.  If you haul more than one trailer with a specific TV, then the hardwired controller route is best.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Factory towing package on 2013 Highlander comes.with a 4 pin.  Toyota dealer said I needed to pay them $135 inspection fee to determine if they could put in a 7 pin, credited toward installation if they could do it.  Said maybe they would waive fee if they could not    I didn't care much for that policy.   But Toyota would not install a break controller so I called UHaul.  The RV shops won't do the 7 pin install either.   I think I'm just going to have Uhaul do the 7 pin install and get the Prodigy RF when I find a TAB.  TABs are few and far between in my area  right now.  I'm unwilling to drive hundreds of miles just to look at one so I'm waiting for one closer to home.  
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Going with the Prodigy RF, you only need a battery +12VDC, added on the 
    existing 4-pin on a 4/7-pin adapter.  The 12VDC connection is used to power the Prodigy RF unit, which uses the 7-pin to plug into your vehicle.  UHaul should be able to fix you up, remind them the install is form the Prodigy controller to be used on a single axle trailer.  
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Thanks, Denny16.  UHaul keeps saying they will have an expert call me to discuss, but nobody ever calls.  It is helpful to know what to say when I go to the installation appointment.