Options

Used vs. New

2»

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Crystal,

The new screens/shades will probably be next year's "toy" purchase for me at Tearstock. They are about 80 bucks each.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Oh, and FYI even if you do want new, but don't want the systems such as holding tanks, bathroom, Aldi, etc. The Basic and Quickstart models of the T@Bs are available. I can actually get new almost identical to what I have now except for the frame, and the built in larger fresh water tank. (If you are not a boondocker and live/camp in the Southeast, a heating system is not necessary, save a small electric cube heater).
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Thanks for stating this Mousektab.  i hadn't realized but the basic has a straight LP furnace as an option.  I think I could come close to replicating my current system with a new LG T@B (except for carpet ceiling).... good to know.
  • Options
    KristaKrista Member Posts: 22
    Thanks everyone for the great advice.  We were planning a trip to see the used T@B and unfortunately found out that someone else was interested and could get there before we did (an 11 hour drive for us). I am waiting to hear if it sold.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited July 2018
    TABaker said:
    Several model years of DM had the glass covered sink and stove.  I prefer my DM sink to the LG, but not all DM sinks are the same...to further complicate. lol    I also like my carpeted ceiling, as I can use velcro or pins to attach things.  I'm also a Cool Cat lover, and am glad you can get one with an LG.  

Another difference between DM and LG is window shades/blinds.  I love the look of the LG system.  Some folks think the shade should come up from the bottom for privacy and airflow, and have reversed the whole thing, which does make sense. Also some DM model years had the wood valance and some did not.  

Many of us DM owners now have LED tail lights, as well.

I do like the simplicity of winterizing my DM.  I run through pink stuff, and carry the water tank into the house and I'm done.  My hot water system is an old coffee urn, which helps with my small onboard water tank.  I fill the urn when I arrive at the campground, and it's heated all weekend, and I have much more water as I would with only the 5 gallon tank.  

I also like the detached step, and if you use the add-a-room you'll need a detached one anyway.  

LG's have a diamond plate rock guard which is very nice.  Some DM owners have added it.  LG also has a fancy screen door, where the DM screen door is terrible. lol  Some have added the new one to their DM with some modification.  It would nice to have the solar connector to the battery compartment that LG provides.  

DM offered solid body colors in aqua, yellow, and red.  

We have a very active Facebook page, started before LG was making the T@B.  Our members used to be made up of, obviously, DM owners.  Now that pendulum is swinging the other direction as more LG T@Bs are sold.  I think we've gained and shared a lot of info for the LG T@B, including the Alde which we knew zero about.   If you buy a DM, the Yahoo forum is a God send.  It includes tons and tons of valuable information and photos.

I hope this has all been helpful v. confusing. lol.  I wish I could have one of every make and model....  Good luck in your search and your decision.  We're all one big happy family, and can't wait to pull you in :)
    Crystal, you are right about the shades/blinds, screen door, and diamond plate.

To all: my little table was just meant to be a comparison, not a judgment. It is similar to what I used to help me understand the differences when I purchased. The comments about the tongue and tail lights were based on comments I have seen from DM owners in the different forums and groups.

The screen door, shades/blinds, and Alden were big selling points for me, personally. The other factor was not devoting a lot of time to projects. So far, even with the battery mod, projects have been brief and easy.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I'm sorry, Jen.  No insult intended.  Your table is very informative.  The goal of my post was to merely give the OP more information.  I recall what it was like like to base decisions on a T@B purchase never having actually been inside one.

Carol, I'm debating the new shades but will mostly likely keep what I have until there's a problem.  I really like them though.  My next upgrade may be the screen door, because I don't yet have that.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    TABaker said:
    I'm sorry, Jen.  No insult intended.  Your table is very informative.  The goal of my post was to merely give the OP more information.  I recall what it was like like to base decisions on a T@B purchase never having actually been inside one.
    None taken! :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Oh, and FYI even if you do want new, but don't want the systems such as holding tanks, bathroom, Aldi, etc. The Basic and Quickstart models of the T@Bs are available. I can actually get new almost identical to what I have now except for the frame, and the built in larger fresh water tank. (If you are not a boondocker and live/camp in the Southeast, a heating system is not necessary, save a small electric cube heater).
    So true re: small electric cube heater for those living / camping in SE and not boondocking.  If we order a custom model again, we'll certainly skip Alde. Love our A/C though  :)
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    Just an update! The used T@B we were interested in is still available and we driving almost 11 hours to see it and hopefully get it. If we end up buying it tonight we will be taking it to a state park nearby for the night. 

One question- we won't have leveling blocks yet, and most of the other gear we need. If we camp one night at a pretty level campsite, would we leave it hitched or go ahead and unhitch? Do we put the stabilizers down if we are leaving it hitched? I am so excited to see it and hope everything works out! If it does I will definitely post pictures! Thank again for all your help. I am confident I know what to look for when I finally see it in person. 

Krista
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    If you have a pull through site you may want to leave it hitched.  I would unplug the trailer from the TV so that the camper cannot drain the TV battery.  I would also lower the stabilizers.  The stabilizers do just that, in other words do not crank down too far and lift the camper.  Have fun!
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Leveling blocks would only be used to drive one wheel up on if you need to level side-to-side.  You can easily use a slab of wood, etc., for that purpose.  I use Lynx blocks or my BAL leveler. Do not use the stabilizers to level, as John stated.  If you can't get level front-to-back, and that bothers you, you may have to unhitch.  If you unhitch you must lower the stabilizers.  Otherwise, that's up to you.  I usually don't when I'm hitched, but there will be movement as you go in and out and move about.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    What TABaker said.  For a quick night, don't have to unhitch or drop the stabilizers.

Good luck!

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    I would drop the stabilizers (not for leveling but making the floor feel stable...the table will bounce a little when occupied - stabilizers not needed but make you feel you are on a stable floor).  As TABaker hinted, if you've got a few short pieces of wood (1" thick), toss them in the car.  IF you need to level a bit, they could offer a course leveling.  If it has a 3 way frig, it is my understanding that it may not work unless it is "level".   Check tires and 7 way connections before you get on the road with it.  Good luck.   (what year?)

• Options
    Thanks so much for your help! We are 9 hours or so into our drive and didn't think to bring wood but they may have some they can give us. It is a 2009 TQ with a norcold 12v fridge. If we can't use the fridge it will be okay as we didn't bring any refrigerated foods with us. The sunset time is quite a bit earlier here, so I am already having nightmares of trying to back it in for the first time in the dark. I've heard too many stories on this forum of all the trouble backing in the first time. ;)

krista
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    TABaker - If remaining hitched as I do a lot, the leveling blocks are used for both left/right and forward/back. For forward/back you put under either the T@B or the TV.
  • Options
    How would you put  them under the front of the T@B?  I guess I've never had to raise the front while hitched.  Usually can pull forward, I guess.

• Options
    Check to confirm that the frig is 2 way.  Deal with them differently depending. When backing up, just do everything very slowly and by our brain can adjust to it a little easier.  Don't worry about the wood.  They may have levelers and if they don't, you can still camp without (just remember it will feel different when it is level).  Also, remember if you stop for something, look for parking that is double and pull thru to use both spaces.  (You'll pick these things up quickly.)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    TABaker - Here's my boondocking, hitched-up procedure...

1) Find as level a spot as I can, check my level gauges - for this example it's one bubble high on the driver's side and one bubble low front to back.
    2) This means I need one block under the T@B's passenger side to get it level left to right.
    3) Since it's one bubble low front to back it means I have to raise the tongue but since I'm still hooked up I have to raise the back end of my TV.
    4) So, I get my blocks out and place one behind the T@Bs passenger side wheel (for L/R) and one behind each of the TVs rear tires (for F/B).
    5) You then just back up 4"onto the blocks and bingo, you're level all the way around.

If the front/back level was reversed, you just put those two blocks from the rear TV wheels behind the T@B tires so you'd have one under the driver's side and two under the passenger side. In effect lifting the whole T@B one block and the passenger side an additional block.

Make sense?

This is why I like the Lego block levelers over the other systems, more versatile.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Deleting my original post from last night about my concerns. The seller was very nice and I don't want to affect her chance of selling it. 

Thanks!
    krista
  • Options
    Do you have photos?

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Our tab has a couple cracks in the plastic trim on the sides.  It is mostly cosmetic and can be replaced if necessary.  I have not replaced ours.  On the rear near the lights that may may have more consequence.  I am not knowledgeable about that area.  Regarding the carpeted ceiling, we have white carpeting and like it a lot.  Ours has not bubbled.  If it is not discolored, then it is most likely due to the adhesive letting go and not water damage.  This is repairable but a fair amount of work.  How are the tires and wheels?  Is the floor solid?  
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Cracked trim is very common.  I'm not sure around the back, but it is on the sides.   I'm not exactly sure of the area you describe as "exterior part matches up with the trim color".  You say by the tail lights...  I don't recall cracks there much.  Small bubbles in the carpeted ceiling are not of much concern, especially if barely noticeable.  I would ask if that's changed recently.  I guess it depends on their size.

• Options
    IF possible, unscrew the light covers and see what it looks like under there.  Any water intrusion (rust, mold, etc).   In addition, this could lead to water going to the rear corner of the tab.  Check the inside under the rear seats.  Can't remember if the carpet comes up.  If so, lift and see if you see any water damage (this is the biggest issue with the light area.)  Also look in the bin at the back of the T@b for any water damage.  

I didn't mind the cracks in the trim.  I just sealed them with silicon.  You can order new trim replacements for the DM T@Bs at the little guy site (shipping isn't cheap as I recall).  I've got a couple of cracks in the trim and have never gotten around to replacing.  I just check it every once in a while.

On the ceiling as someone on the Yahoo group stated...If you are able to feel some "give" in the ceiling when you push it up, then you likely do have the delamination issue.

Not sure if there is a resolution to this one.  The original ones had slats added to hold up the carpet.  If the bubbling is there, not sure of any way to fix.  (there was a discussion of "reattaching" the carpet by screwing into the available roof slats, but didn't find anyone with a definitive answer for the issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    8/06 *** I deleted a few identifying pieces about the T@B. The owner was very helpful and kind, so I don't want to affect her chance to sell it. 

The ceiling doesn't feel soft and doesn't give. The carpet is just a little loose and bubbly in some places. The owner says it has been covered since she bought it new. It was under a large open sided covered garage. 

Thanks again for your help. I wish we would have taken photos but we had driven almost 12 hours and were not at our best. I know that would have helped. 

Krista
  • Options
    Someone inserted glue through the carpet on the ceiling with something.  I don't recall what tool without reading through the Yahoo group.  My back light covers were really nasty and dirty underneath, but had plenty of sealant so that water was not entering. 

• Options
    You could inject glue with a syringe in those bubbling areas.  It sounds like all but the back areas are negotiating points.  Mash2 has some good pointers on the rear cracks.  Good luck.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    I thought it was a syringe?
  • Options
    Here is a look at what is behind the tail light cover.

• Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    Krista, keep us posted...I just sent you a message.  Good luck on your search!
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
    2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! We decided to pass on this one but I'm sure there will be a t@b that is right for us eventually! 

Krista