Options

Solar panel not working?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Denny16 said:
    Jon, what fridge did you use for the cabin tests?  We use a fridge thermometer in our TaB400 2-way fridge.  I have run the fridge for three nights and the better part of 4-days, in 80F weather, and the fridge stayed cold, amp draw was similar to my tests above, the battery went down 40/50 amps over night and recharged back up in partially cloudy conditions by mid day off the solar system, whilst the fridge continued to run.  The fridge was full of food, and temp. was maintained at 38-40F.  This was a real boondock camping experience.  We had ice cubes in the freezer tray, that stayed frozen.

I have read several complaints, that the two-way fridge couldn’t keep up with hot weather, which is also contrary to my experience.  On our last trip several weeks ago, we had outside temps in the 90s two days with temps 101-103 range.  The TaB was on shore power, CoolCat running set to 75F, with trailer temps in the 75-80F range.  The fridge kept its temp at 37-40F, again, fridge was full of food.  
    Everything stayed cold.  For beer or beverages, I use my cooler with ice — keeps beverages very cold!
    Cheers 

When running the AC/Swamp cooler, you are keeping your cabin temps low.  Can't really do that while boondocking, though :)

I tested many, many refrigerators - from full size 110V appliances to supposedly 'super efficient' 12V green models made in Germany (these suck, by the way).  I did not test this exact one and based on your testing it sounds super efficient.  I'll have to take a look at this one to replace the ridiculous 3-way in my 320.  I ended up going with a full size, 110V fridge for my off grid cabin.

On topic - the OP claims that the solar is not keeping up, but according to the screen shots the solar is working just fine.  It's generating the 12 plus amps that it should in full sunlight.

According to the OP when turning the fridge off, the batteries stay charged.  Fridge running - batteries depleted.

Now this doesn't mean that the fridge is the culprit, but it could be a large part of it.  I'm sure the OP is not running any type of AC so the cabin temps are probably on the high side.  It is possible that the batteries are not holding a charge or not charging completely (need replaced), or the solar panel is not optimally located and only getting sun for a small portion of the day.

I don't have any other information to base any meaningful diagnosis off of, other than the fact that the batteries stay charged when the fridge is turned off.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I agree Jon, the OP didn’t provide enough useable info to figure out the issue.
    Glad you go your cabin fridge sorted.  Yes the Norcold 2-way and the newer Isotherm Elegance 65 nüCamp is currently using are small, 2-CuFt two-way fridges that are very efficient running on 12VDC, due to their Danfoss compressor.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GhannanGhannan Member Posts: 4
    90 degrees, fridge draws 4 or 5 amps while compressor rims, compressor runs about 20 minutes per hour for roughly 1.5 amp hours per hour.  So, for 12 hours, uses about 20 amp hours.  A sunny day will recharge to 100% charge by noon or 1 pm