320 CS S galley door won't latch

Hello!  I am a newbie to the forum.  My girlfriend has a 2019 TaB 320 CS S and since she got it in 2020, the galley latches don't work properly.  She has always tied bungee cords around the galley t-handles and the levelers below to keep the galley door shut when pulling the trailer.  The problem -- best I can tell -- is that either the strike bars mounted on the frame of the galley are not high enough or the paddles (the part that turns when you turn the key in the T-bar) are not long enough.  I'm not sure if this was a dealer install or original factory but it sure seems obviously defective. Anybody else see this same or similar problem?  Any ideas of modifications appreciated... I could try replacing the whole thing but since I'm not clear where the defect is, I might buy and install a new latch set (teardroptrailerparts suggests a DL11) only to find that the new one has the same problem.  P.S. My girlfriend doesn't want me to try moving the strike bar because she is very sensitive to appearance and is worried the old holes will look terrible.  Longer paddles might do the trick but I can't find a source.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @djm1021 - our paddle is mounted closer to the hatch with the stem projecting beyond the paddle.  There is a set screw that should allow you to adjust the paddle.  FYI - the set screws can come loose, so check them from time to time.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • djm1021djm1021 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Sharon_is_SAM.  I've tried moving the paddle to different positions without luck.  Your positioning certainly makes sense to hold the galley door tighter to the frame IF it is latching properly.

I saw a picture of a galley frame in an unrelated post and it looks like the strike plate/bar rises much higher over the frame than mine (probably 1" or 1-1/2" vs 1/2"), so I'm guessing I've got two incorrect strike plates/bars.  And they just do not rise high enough over the frame to catch the paddle.

Sharon_is_SAM, would you be able to post a photo of the strike plate/bar from your galley door frame?  Or measure the vertical distance from the frame to the top of the bar?  Or even visually compare it against the picture of mine that I posted in the main post and describe if it looks different?  Here's the photo

Cheers,
    Dan

Oops, missed the at sign... @Sharon_is_SAM please see comment above.
    @djm1021 - here is an old photo.  The only thing I noticed is that our strike plate seems to be mounted mostly centered between the 2 tail lights.  

@djm1021 - if you think you need to raise the striker bar, use washers.  This was done with the old Silver Shadows that had hatch closure issues.
    @Sharon_is_SAM thanks!  Looks very similar to my striker bar so that's probably not the problem.  Good idea on the washers.  I'm thinking I might have to figure out a way to take a picture inside the galley when the galley door is closed.  (Apple watch camera remote?)
    I thought of that, too.  Easier to put the paddle back to a more normal position and try the washers😊
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited August 2022
    Try putting the latch in the lock position while the door is open then try closing the door.  This way you will be able to determine if the paddle is hitting the latch bar.  If it is hitting, preventing the door from closing, then getting the right adjustment for the paddle is all that remains.  If the door is stopped, It may be possible to "peek" through the gap to determine how much the paddle is engaging to determine how many washers you may need to raise the bar (if at all).

• MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 342
    If one side is latching and the the other side not, measure where the paddle is on the working side. Set the other one the same place. Measure the distance from the shaft of the working handle to the edge of the hatch on both sides. If the non-working side is more, add washers under the bar to make it taller. 

If you are having problems getting one side to catch, I'm betting the bar is too low. I added washers to the right side of mine to make it secure. And they do vibrate loose, so check them every few months. Yes, both the paddle and the bars. Good luck.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    Our paddles kept working loose; the set screw kept backing out a bit as the trailer vibrated down the road.  A dab of blue Loctite on both set screws has permanently fixed this issue.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
    Thanks @Mickerly.  I have an idea... with my Apple Phone and Watch, I can take a picture remotely, so can have the iPhone and flashlight inside the galley when it is closed, then snap a picture with my watch from the other side.  I'll give that a try next time I get it out of storage.  Also thanks @Slackers I am fairly sure that's not the problem, but the process above should help me to diagnose.
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    The Loctite suggestion is for once you find the right position of the paddle.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH