Options

Keeping headlights from blinding oncoming traffic

I tow a 2015 T@B 320 with a 2013 Nissan Xterra.  I find that my low beam headlights are always annoying oncoming traffic. I was considering installing rear air bags, but they are quite expensive (700 to $1700, installed).  Instead I think I will go to a weight distributing hitch, which is less than $300.  Any experience with leveling out headlight beams?  Any other words of advice?  Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    I noticed 3+ inch sag in my 4Runner once I added side tubs/more gear to my tongue. Sherline scale showed tongue at 280#. Sag was worse with heavier gear in the back of the 4Runner as well. I had "Timbren Rear Suspension System" installed at Les Schwab, about $550. They are much taller than the stock bump stops thus don't allow as much sag. At first the ride felt a bit rougher and I'm sure if people were sitting my the back seat would notice, but overall I liked the stability it gave. I also moved heavier gear from back of 4Runner to front seat or over the axle in the Tab. Rear drop as measured at wheel well now 1" and just 1/4" front wheel well rise. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited August 2022
    @RollinWithShirley I’m fairly sure a WDH is not recommended with the 320 per nuCamp. How much tongue weight and how much gear are you carrying on your rear axle? Can you pare that down any?

Edit to add: Also, stiffer rear springs may be less expensive than rear airbag systems. Some vendors make ones that still provide a decent street ride when not towing. I’m looking at adding Subaru specific Rallitek springs to my Outback if I decide to stick with trailer camping much longer, though mostly I avoid the headlight issue by keeping my load lighter. But similar springs that aren’t too heavy duty and stiff for daily driving might be available for the Xterra.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    I'm adding Air Lift 1000 air bags to my RAV4 on Friday. I'm within the towing specs but it does sag a little so I'm hoping to correct that. I was quoted $200 for the installation.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B098C7JVXW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    WDH, Air Bags? Seems like a very drastic solution, why don't you have a car tech adjust your headlights, a simpler less costly solution 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,008
    We're lucky in that our Nissan Titan has a switch to electronically adjust the headlights into 3 different positions depending on the load carried.  Without that you'd have to adjust the level while towing then readjust them when not.  Kind of annoying in my opinion.  I'd take the recommendation mentioned above and install either timbrem bumpstops or take a look at sumo springs.  They have different models depending on how much load you normally will carry and have gotten good reviews. Simple installation in your driveway as well. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    @RollinWithShirley have you tried changing how you load the Xterra? I put my rear seats down and load the heaviest stuff in front of the axle on my TV. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    RollinWithShirleyRollinWithShirley Member Posts: 35
    It seems that a more even distribution of the weight over the three axles is a good idea even aside the headlight issue.  I read about some problems with fitting clamps into the tongue, but these fit my frame.  Why wouldn't WDH be recommended for 320?    And, I almost forgot,  thanks for all of the response.
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    You need to keep 10-15% of the total loaded camper weight on the tongue to avoid potential sway issues.
    As for weight distribution hitch, Nucamp doesn't recommend them on the frame they use (C channel frames) for their trailers. That being said, a number of people have installed them successfully.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    @RollinWithShirley As I understand it, the reason it isn’t recommended for the 320 is because a WDH distributes the load across all three axles…potentially adding significant extra weight to a trailer axle that may not be rated to handle it. It can also stiffen the connection between vehicle and trailer beyond what the trailer’s frame is capable of handling. More here: https://askthervengineer.com/the-hidden-danger-of-a-weight-distribution-hitch/

A WDH isn’t a bad thing, but they design them for much heavier trailers and heavier duty tow vehicles than the very lightweight 320. Simply put, if you *need* a WDH with a 320, you’re almost certainly carrying too much for your vehicle/trailer combo. Properly loaded, at most you should need a bit of rear end support (because lightweight tow vehicles are generally built for passengers and freeway comfort rather than a 300 lb tongue weight + fully loaded cargo area). And maybe a friction sway bar, though typically correct load fixes 95% of sway issues.

A friend and I have the same tow vehicle (very soft rear springs) and 320s (different years). On a recent trip together, her tongue weight was 100 pounds more than mine, and her cargo area behind the axle was much more heavily loaded. Her car visibly squatted, whereas mine barely budged. Loading, both overall cargo weight and position of that cargo, makes ALL the difference.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    RollinWithShirleyRollinWithShirley Member Posts: 35
    I moved the spare tire on my Outback 320 to the tongue because it was pulling off the rack in the back of the T@B.  It would lighten my tongue weight a good bit to leave the spare tire behind. Would that be crazy?
  • Options
    @RollinWithShirley Depends. Are you comfortable leaving the trailer by the side of the road or having it towed in the event of a flat that can’t be repaired, while you hunt down the correct new tire? Personally, I’m not, so carrying a spare is cheap insurance. But we have so folks who’ve figured out that their full size spare from their vehicle is close enough in size to be used on the Tab with an adapter. Others carry the spare in or on top of the vehicle. And I’m sure some skip it.

Additionally, though, your first step in evaluating both that question and your original problem is the same: What is your loaded tongue weight and loaded trailer weight? This is critical information that you should know before every trip. Getting rid of the tire may make it difficult to keep the tongue weight in the ideal range for safe towing; it should be between 10-15% of the overall loaded trailer weight.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    Like @Maple_Geek mentioned, I added the Air Lift 1000 to my Wrangler. Cost was about $100 for the kit and $120 for installation. Worked perfectly to level the TV and easy to adjust for a less stiff ride when not towing.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler