Options

shore power extension cord?

I am totally new to all of this. I purchased a 2021, slightly used tab400 Boondock in April of this year. I have had it outside and covered this summer as I prepare to take it to some warmer areas this winter. In its current location I cannot reach an Elec outlet with the included cord. Can I use an extension cord, the 30amp adapter and the supplied cord to connect to shore power? Is there a specific extension cord that works? I sure don't want to do anything to wreck the system! 
Thank you in advance for any info/advice

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 449
    Basically yes. Use a heavy gauge extension cord (10 AWG) rated for outdoor use. Obviously you're still limited to 16 amps from a typical household outlet so you can't use all electric appliances at the same time. 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,282
    Sure, you can use an extension cord between the adapter and a 120V outlet. Preferably it will be a 20 amp outlet and your cord will be 12 gauge. Just be sure to not overload the cord or breaker rating by using too many high draw devices at the same time.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    laurhlaurh Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the help! 
    I don’t even want to use the appliances now, I need the elec tongue jack to be functional in the short term. Don’t know if the solar is still charged since the trailer has been covered since late May. I’ll be taking it to a local RV dealer next week to get a different hitch set up. 
    The electrical is always a mystery for me. 
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    This is the extension cord I purchased for my 2021 T@b 400.  I use it primarily in my driveway to power up the frig the day before departure.

Road Power 95707508 10/3 30' STW 30-Amp RV Extension Cord, Heavy Duty, Waterproof Cord, Suitable for Mobile Homes and Recreational Areas, UL & cUL Listed, TT-30 plug, Built to Last , Black https://a.co/d/huKny5C

I do use my EMS just as a precaution and a heavy duty ext cord to connect my EMS with adapter to my external garage outlet.

--Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    Thank you. 
    I do have the 30amp cord that came with the tab & adapter for home use. It just doesn't reach the outlet. Hoping to have this solved in the future but for now I need a quick fix. 
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 449
    edited August 2022
    You can *temporarily* use any random extension cord you may have laying around. Just understand that it might not be designed for outdoors use so don't leave it out in the rain. It will do for charging the battery and using the lights just don't run the AC etc. because the cord might get hot from higher loads. Heck my vacuum power cord gets warm after a while ... :)
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    laurh said:

I don’t even want to use the appliances now, I need the elec tongue jack to be functional in the short term. 
    If your electric tongue jack is tied into the battery or tapped into 12v that's sitting behind the WFCO power management panel, you don't necessarily need to use the included 30 amp cord to operate most of its electronics. You can use any conventional 110v/20 amp extension cord (the sort you would use on something like christmas lights or yard equipment) plus a 'dogbone' type adapter like this one. With this set up you can run everything inside the camper EXCEPT the higher amperage items like the air conditioner and the microwave (if installed), and the battery will charge while the shore power is connected. Do NOT turn on the AC or microwave when plugged in using this method, or you'll have at best some fuses to replace.

If you use this method, don't use some rinky-dink extension cable you'd use for a lamp or something indoors. Use a hefty 12 or 10 gauge extension cord intended for heavy lawn / construction equipment. Most hardware stores will have them, and they're easy enough to find on Amazon.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    Thank you. 
    I have many heavy duty outdoor cords so this helps a great deal! Not needing to use any appliances right now. 
    Appreciate the advice! 
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    The shorter the extension cord the better.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    The easiest way to handle this is with an RV power cable extension cord.  If this gives you the length you need, of course.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2022
    That was my solution, the Camco 30-amp ext cord.  This works,great, no worries about overheating the est. cord or creating a low voltage situation.  Some campsites have a long run to the power pedestal, and this cord solves that issue also.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    But the 30 amp extension is pointless if you’re plugging into a 20 (or 15) amp outlet. Still a good thing to have with you if there’s a 30 amp that’s out of reach.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    The Alde web site says not to run the heat on the 2KW setting when on 15 amp circuit.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    As does simple math.
    2000W / 120V = 16.7 amps
     ;) 
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    AnOldUR said:
    But the 30 amp extension is pointless if you’re plugging into a 20 (or 15) amp outlet. Still a good thing to have with you if there’s a 30 amp that’s out of reach.
    No, you just use your 30-amp to 15/20-amp adapter on the house end to plug it in to a regular house hold outlet.  As mentioned, you are limited in what appliances you can use on a 15-amp or 20-amp circuit, like the Alde in 2KW mode.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Denny16 said: No, you just use your 30-amp to 15/20-amp adapter on the house end to plug it in to a regular house hold outlet. 
    My post wasn’t clear. What I meant was that since he already has a cord for 15/20 amp that will meet his current need, buying a 30 amp is pointless. The 15/20 amp breaker he will be connecting to will trip before overloading the cord. I agree, having a 30 amp extension would be a wise choice for the future. 
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    OK, got it, thanks.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    I sometimes use a longer 12GA cord with adapter on the trailer end, and then plug into post 20amp, discovered a few times. If not the 15A. Just careful what load you fire up. I found at one golf course in CleElum WA we needed a 30 to 50A adapter at the post. My electricians frequintly said " Ya gota manage your circuits."
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We have a regular household current outlet on the outside of our garage to plug in our 2018 T@B 400. I have a 30amp cord, plus a 30amp extension cord if I need it. I plug the surge protector into my outlet, an adapter, then the 30amp cord into that. If I needed a longer run, I'd use the 30 amp extension cord, not a regular extension cord that you'd use to power yard tools at home. We've never had trouble with this. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @Deb55 - just to avoid confusion of any new owners, the adapter plugs into the wall outlet, then the surge protector, then the cord.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BabsBabs Member Posts: 26
    ConTech manufactures some of the 30A cords previously used with T@Bs; and, they do have a website replete with adapters and extension cords.  Prompt, complete manufacturer-to-customer service and shipping.  
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @Sharon_is_SAM of course you're right--my (backwards) bad!