Options

anyone use shoe covers at the RV dump site?

I was thinking about having a dedicated pair of shoes/boots for when I am at the RV dump site, but then wondered if disposable shoe covers would work.  Looking on Amazon, they claim to be "waterproof."  Anyone use these for this purpose?  
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 130
    I have a pair of washable sketchers that I wear at the dump station and then swap out for different shoes at departure.  The sketchers get tossed into a plastic bag and then into the washer.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @marleecamps sounds like a working plan to me!
    -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Guess I am going to break new ground.  I have ordered some shoe covers.  Maybe they'll arrive before my next trip and I can report back.   ;)

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2022
    My key here is to use the disposable rubber gloves.  I’ve made quite a few trips to dump stations over the years, had some interesting experiences and seen instances where others made some mistakes in the process too.  An alternative if you feel the need to use different foot wear would be to use muck shoes as they can be easily cleaned and rinsed off.  Another key to dumping that people forget is to screw the threaded end fitting into the port at the dump station enough so that the hose stays attached when the affluent is released from the black tank in the trailer (lots of pressure!) into the station dump tank.  Once the black tank is emptied and followed up by the gray tank and water flush of the sewer hose a courtesy spray of the area is helpful.  And a chuckle is in order here, but do inspect your sewer hose, check the fittings, ensure they are tightly connected as stuff happens.  😳😂
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited August 2022
    It is certainly interesting to watch people at the "dump stations". You see everything from using nothing but maybe a pair of gloves (me) to a full hazmat suit. I am typically dumped and gone while others are still suiting up. 

Bottom line, do what makes you comfortable. Even if you have a catastrophe (watched that a few weeks ago when the black tank was opened without a hose connected), it washes off with a bit of soap and water.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    pakpak Member Posts: 114
    I have not used them but it is not a bad idea.
  • Options
    tombeauxtombeaux Member Posts: 60
    I use the disposable (one-time use) clear plastic gloves, drop the gloves in the waste bin (most dumps have them) then use hand sanitizer when I get in the tow vehicle. That’s it. Dumping was something we were concerned me about when we started this nearly five years ago. As it turned out, it’s one of the biggest non-events of our camping experience, and we’re frequent flyers. We rarely spill a drop and there is water around to wash it away if we do. Still, as Dutch061 said above, you need to do what makes you comfortable.
    2018 T@B 320S. 2017 Toyota Highlander AWD
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    There's probably more splashage at the urinal in a public restroom than at a dump station. =)
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    AnOldUR said:
    There's probably more splashage at the urinal in a public restroom than at a dump station. =)

No comment on the condition of public restrooms.
    BTW, I did get some shoe covers and they work great.  Probably won't need them once I get more comfortable with the process.

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Rubber Muck Boots is a good idea, in case you do have an accidental spill, or forget to take the end plug out of the server dump hose…
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    Agree with @AnOldUR. Public men’s room is your bigger worry. I carry Clorox spray and spray the bottom of my shoes after dump station, or public restroom before getting into TV or camper. Whatever makes you comfortable. 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    webers3 said:
    Agree with @AnOldUR. Public men’s room is your bigger worry. I carry Clorox spray and spray the bottom of my shoes after dump station, or public restroom before getting into TV or camper. Whatever makes you comfortable. 

Well, since I am female, I don't generally have to worry about the condition of men's rooms.   ;)