Options

Fan upgrade

Hi,

looking to install a Maxxair fan in the cabin of my Tab 400.  Are the 4 speed manual opening models more reliable than the 10 speed?
is there a big cfm difference?
I have seen posts referencing failures and board replacements.  Which are those models?
Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    We have a 400 and I put in the 4 speed model to replace the bath fan that failed but beware since the non deluxe models have a mounting system that requires a thicker roof. This is detailed in my post about changing out the fan. Having said that I love the fan and the 4 speed manual seems very reliable and quiet and it moves a lot of air on the higher speeds. It was a pain to trim it out in the bath area but for the main fan it would be a problem so make sure you get a deluxe model that can fit a 1 1/8 inch roof opening. I have not had problems with our control board but we have only had it a few months

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/15653/2019-t-b-400-bath-fan-replaced-with-maxxfan-4301k-that-is-too-tall-for-the-roof#latest

Here are the install instructions for all the fans that will work with the 400 roof. They are more expensive but seem a lot easier to install since you can do most access from inside and only have to do the removal and sealing from the roof

https://www.airxcel.com/docs/default-source/maxxair/fans/maxxfan-deluxe/11e90001k_maxxfan-deluxe-install-11-2017.pdf?sfvrsn=fc361e6b_4

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    I replaced my cabin fan with the Maxxair Deluxe 10 speed model.  It is quiet and can go from very light air movement to high speed.  The best part is that it operates when it is raining.  I highly recommend it.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    I have the more basic four speed Maxxair fan and am happy with it.  It has lower current draw than the stock fan.  I don't believe the 10 speed flows any more air, just more settings to max.  We usually run ours on the lower settings anyway.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 929
    The 10 speed model has a proportional thermostat that changes fan speed to maintain a set temperature.  Very convenient and quiet. 

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    We upgraded to the 10 speed with the remote control and would not want anything else. It’s awesome and very quiet. We usually have it exhaust on speed 1 or 2 most nights when sleeping. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2022
    I replaced our Fantastic Fan with the 10 speed manual-control MaxxAir.

I think it's great, install was easy (after removing all the old caulk!), very quiet, nice slow speeds, thermostat control, and rain resistant. But I do have two complaints...

The control buttons are the flat, 'bubble' type of button, which means you need to turn on a light to find the correct button to push. Not very helpful when you're sleepy, or you have a sleeping partner, and you want to turn it down, turn it off, reverse direction, etc, in the middle of the night.

Secondly it is not silent on all speeds. Some of the speeds have an electronic whine, coming from the speed control I imagine. There are enough speeds in between the whiny ones so I can get around it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    SimplysteveSimplysteve Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the replies, the rain cover is the most important feature for me.  Leaning to the 4 speed as I am at times the less is more type.
    Plan to move the fantastic fan to the bath and get a rain cover for it.
  • Options
    If I was making a change I’d take a car with a 10 speed transmission over a car with a 4 speed transmission. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    bergger said:
    If I was making a change I’d take a car with a 10 speed transmission over a car with a 4 speed transmission. 
    Maybe, so does the fan step up 10 times or are they counting 5 forward and 5 reverse ?

• Options
    I have no experience with the more basic model but I am very happy with the Maxxair Deluxe.  My thinking was that if I was to go to the trouble of re-opening a large hole in my roof, it would only make sense to install the best.  After all, ventilation is a very important function in a trailer such as ours.  (Yes it is actually 20 speeds - 10 in each direction).

I have a new (never used) top of the line rain hood. You can have it for free - just the cost of shipping. I bought that before I decided to replace the fan.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    Yes as @Gherzig said the fan has 10 speeds for intake and 10 speeds for out take.  If you are running it on say 30%, speed 3, out take you can hit a button to switch it to intake. The fan will stop then reverse direction and go back to 30% speed.  It's really a great fan and if I too was going to go through the work of replacing a fan I'd install the Maxxair 7000k or 7500k.  The only difference is on has a white rain cover and one has a smoke colored rain cover.  I have the 7500k on our 400.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    What @Gherzig said...if you're going through the hassle of removing and installing a new fan, just shell out the money for a better fan since you probably will never upgrade it afterwards. I'm not a fan of those tall rain covers that go over existing fans. Aesthetically they ruin the profile of the trailer and add so much height that you do have to factor that in when going through low-clearance areas (trees, etc.).

I wish Nucamp would install Maxxair fans as OEM. The Fantastic fan is horrible...loud, fragile (our lock broke within a few months) and limited speeds. Once you install a Maxxair you'll wonder how you put up with the Fantastic fan.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited September 2022
    Whilst the MaxAir fan is very nice, you can also upgrade the Fanastic (model 1200) to have 10 speeds, reverse, and remote control functions, which eliminates the weak hood lock.  It also adds auto rain detection to shut the hood, if you want.  (Edie, the model 1250 Fanastic fan used in the newer TaB is not upgradeable.)

I agree, the added rain hood is not as nice as the built in hood design on the MaxAir, but height wise, it only adds a few additional inches over the MaxFan height, but does break the lines and air flow on the TaB’s roof.  

The Fanastic fan upgrade is less expensive and an easy upgrade, without requiring complete removal of the unit, and can be done from inside the trailer.  Cost wise, the upgrade is less, but once you add in the rain hood, going to the MaxAir fan would be about the same overall cost, just more labor.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Gherzig said:
    I have no experience with the more basic model but I am very happy with the Maxxair Deluxe.  My thinking was that if I was to go to the trouble of re-opening a large hole in my roof, it would only make sense to install the best.  After all, ventilation is a very important function in a trailer such as ours.  (Yes it is actually 20 speeds - 10 in each direction).

I have a new (never used) top of the line rain hood. You can have it for free - just the cost of shipping. I bought that before I decided to replace the fan.
    Thanks, sent you a pm
  • Options

Thanks for all the help.  One point not answer is the reliability.  I have seen posts about the circuit board failing.  Has that been resolved?  Was it ever an issue?
  • Options
    OkpeteOkpete Member Posts: 15
    Denny16 said:
    Whilst the MaxAir fan is very nice, you can also upgrade the Fanastic to have 10 speeds, reverse, and remote control functions, which eliminates the weak hood lock.  It also adds auto rain detection to shut the hood, if you want.  

I agree, the added rain hood is not as nice as the built in hood design on the MaxAir, but height wise, it only adds a few additional inches over the MaxFan height, but does break the lines and air flow on the TaB’s roof.  

The Fanastic fan upgrade is less expensive and an easy upgrade, without requiring complete removal of the unit, and can be done from inside the trailer.  Cost wise, the upgrade is less, but once you add in the rain hood, going to the MaxAir fan would be about the same overall cost, just more labor.
     Cheers 
    According to Dometic the 2022 fan does not have an upgrade option.

• Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited September 2022

Thanks for all the help.  One point not answer is the reliability.  I have seen posts about the circuit board failing.  Has that been resolved?  Was it ever an issue?

Definitely an issue and judging by forum posts / online store reviews, reliability varies wildly between different models. It seems like the best option to maintain circuit board reliability is to spray the board with an aerosol waterproof PCB coating, and put a 12v regulator in front of the power leads.
    I just bought a 7500K model off Amazon and opted for the 4-year Asurion warranty plan that Amazon offers. The warranty was only $45 and I have had good experiences with Asurion replacing oddball items with questionable durability in the past, so it seemed like a good gamble.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    Beginning in 2021, NuCamp stared using the Fantastic Fan 1250 instead of the. previous 1200.  The upgrade kit is NOT compatible with the newer 1250 so you need to check your model # before trying to upgrade.  I learned that the hard way.
    Dometic does claim that the 1250 can be used with the cover closed as a ceiling fan while the 1200 cannot.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    @Simplysteve
    Sent you a message and a photo.

2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2022
    Yes, I'd forgotten. That is one additional point in favor of the MaxxAir. It can be run with the hood closed.

Another feature I'd forgotten is that the MaxxAir installs in two parts. First you install the base frame in the roof-hole (which is the same size as the hole for the Fantastic Fan - drops right in), and then you install the actual fan-unit into that frame - with 4 screws only. This design makes it easy for servicing, or replacement, if needed.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Gherzig said:
    @Simplysteve
    Sent you a message and a photo.

HI,  Dont see it, I'll pm my email.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Thanks @Okpete, forgot the newer TaB Fanastic fan ( model 1250) was not upgradeable.  My experience is with the original 2018 TaB400.  Good point that the model 1250 fan does not have the this option.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    OkpeteOkpete Member Posts: 15
    Denny16 said:
    Whilst the MaxAir fan is very nice, you can also upgrade the Fanastic (model 1200) to have 10 speeds, reverse, and remote control functions, which eliminates the weak hood lock.  It also adds auto rain detection to shut the hood, if you want.  (Edie, the model 1250 Fanastic fan used in the newer TaB is not upgradeable.)

Cheers 
    I have 2022 2320s and factory rep. Indicated dometic does not have upgrade kit for 2022 fan. What years are you referring to ?
  • Options
    I was referring to the older (model 1200) Fanastic fan upgrade that was available for the fans used prior to 2022.  I do not know of an upgrade kit,for,the newer fan used in 2022 TaB builds.  To bad nüCamp just doesn’t use the higher end models that do not require upgrading, at least in the TaB400 and 320s which are supposed to be higher end units.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Okay, bit the bullet and got the 10 speed, just could not get the remote , I am lazy enough as it is. :-)

Put the fantastic fan in the bath.   The fans were super easy, the old Dicor not so much.
    Heat gun helped immensely , I then used brake/parts cleaner to remove the rest (no mineral spirits at Ace) then wiped with isopropyl .   Very nice and quiet.
  • Options
    Glad to hear it.  Removing the old Dicor was not fun.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY