Options

Exhaust soot from boiler

We are looking at a used 2022 boondock and I was wondering if soot buildup around the exhaust vent is typical (see photo) or an indication of too lean a mixture in the burner. My concern is that the heat exchanger could require cleaning and additional expense. Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,546
    The Alde 3020 has a high altitude mode that must be selected.  What elevation was this TaB located or used?  

16. High altitude mode
    The function only needs to be used if the- hydronic heating system will be powered by LP Gas at altitudes above approx. 3,000 ft (1,000 m).
    If the LP Gas burner runs unevenly at these altitudes, turn off the furnace (see section
    1, Starting the hydronic heating system” on page 16) and then start the hydronic heating system in high altitude mode.
    When heating with LP Gas at high altitudes, use propane to help obtain stable combustion
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    In my opinion this is not normal. I have not experienced any soot build up around the exhaust vent in the 4 years of ownership, nor have seen this on any other T@B. I don’t know what would cause that. 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,045
    We’ve not had any soot build up in the almost 2.5 years of use with our Alde. We almost always use propane with ours too.  I don’t think that is normal to see that type of soot build up on any model year and especially in a 2022.  But that’s just my speculation since we’ve never had any build up at all. But we do always use the high elevation setting. I too am thinking that if there is that much build up on the exterior something on the interior may need to be cleaned up. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 758
    I had/have the same issue with my 2019 400.  Never really got a decent answer from nuCamp as to why it happens.  It was not as intense as you show in your photo but I only ran the heater for an hour or so when first I got the trailer just to test it.  I am at about 1700' msl so it wasn't a high altitude thing.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    None here either, and I’ve used the Alde on propane, though not extensively.

I’d tend to think from the responses so far and from a couple years of watching this forum that it’s not a common problem, though obviously not an unknown one. And because it’s not common AND you’re looking at a unit so new that it can’t have had a ton of use, I’d be leery of buying that particular rig unless it was serviced prior to purchase by a well qualified Alde tech. Something’s not right.

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,229
    Just checked ours and it’s clean and we pretty much only use propane. Might want to see how extensively the trailer has been used. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,611
    I've had some mild soot on my 3020 Alde.
    However, expect the soot was because the Alde was not in High(er) Altitude combustion fan mode.

Because if the Alde "seems to be running OK - - no weird freight train noises" I don't  change modes . . . . the manual says to change modes when at/above 3,000 feet elevation which I don't follow - - - - after all I grew-up in a town that was at 7,500 feet so my mine set is High Altitude is > 10,000 feet - - - perhaps I should review the combustion physics instead of my youth experience ;)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  52   Nights:  329  Towing Miles 41,900+
  • Options
    SculptorSculptor Member Posts: 4
    Thank you all for your comments. This is a unit I am looking to purchase (actually a 2021 model Boondock) and we are in Colorado. My understanding is it was used almost exclusively at altitude. After seeing the trailer I don't think it was well cared for and I suspect the high altitude setting was not used. I have no way to access any damage that may have been done, so I will need to be careful (buyer beware).
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 142
    We are traveling to Colorado tomorrow.   Is the high altitude setting required if we are using electricity in lieu of LP for the Alde?
    Scott / 2019 T@B 400 "C@LYPSO" / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,611
    scott14 said:
    We are traveling to Colorado tomorrow.   Is the high altitude setting required if we are using electricity in lieu of LP for the Alde?
    No.  The 'high altitude' setting is only for propane operation.  When you select 'high altitude' it causes the propane burner combustion fan to run at a higher speed . . . increasing the oxygen flow to the flame.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  52   Nights:  329  Towing Miles 41,900+
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 142
    Makes sense,  thanks @muttonchops.
    Scott / 2019 T@B 400 "C@LYPSO" / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois