Options

Replacing Danby but not finding a replacement

JamesKJamesK Member Posts: 15
The Danby in our 2018 320S died so I started the process of replacing it.

I'm able to find a number of AC units that will fit into the cabinet but the issue I've run into is the wood molding that goes on the front of the unit.  I've now bought two different units only to find the wood molding frame doesn't fit.  My most recent purchase was the exact same Danby model number which turns out to have changed design since the original Danby.

What solution did those that replaced their Danby find?  At this point I'll take any unit that fits in the wood molding.  Or have people had to get a new molding from Nucamp or make something?

I added a couple of pictures just to show how the wood frame fits over the original AC faceplate (I took the AC apart in an attempt to repair it) vs how the new Danby blocks the frame from going back far enough.

I did spend quite a bit of time looking thru historical posts but didn't find an answer.  Apologies if I missed it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited September 2022
    You are going to have to adjust the frame to fit the new AC.  I would replace the bottom  stile rail (or the top one) on the new Danby AC to fill in the gap, and finish it to match.  Any good cabinet shop could also do this for you.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16, I didn't quite understand your comment "I would replace the bottom style (or the top one) on the new Danby AC to fill in the gap"

The frame is too small for the new Danby so I wasn't following what you meant by "gap" or "style."

Can you elaborate?  Thanks!
  • Options
    Sorry @JamesK. The rails are the horizontal parts of the frame, the stiles are the vertical bits.  In your photo of the new Danby AC, it looks like the face frame opening is too tall, and there is a gab at the top, the sides look like it fits side to side.  To fill in the gap at the top, you could replace the top horizontal part of the frame, the top rail (I got the parts mixed up in my original post) with a wider one to fill the gap.  Or, you could,raise the AC up to fit at the top rail, and replace the bottom rail with a wider one, which would look better, as the bottom rail is often wider than the top rail in a frame like this.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    @Denny16, just to be clear: the first picture that contains just the AC front with no knobs is the original Danby.  The second picture of a complete AC is the new Danby.  I didn't make that clear.

If I were to place the new Danby into the cabinet the wood frame would not be able to slide over the AC and would be physically prevented from fitting up against the cabinet and being screwed into place.

My take-away is that you are proposing that I need a new custom wood molding piece to go along with the new AC unit.  I was hoping that their might be a AC unit out there that can use the same wood molding frame :bawling:

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @JamesK, sorry, my bad.  Yes, I see that the new Danby faceplate seems tighter in the frame.  Making the original frame larger is easy, I do not think you need a new frame.  Figure out what the inside dimension of the frame needs to be to fit around the new AC, and have a cabinet shop enlarge the inside opening.  This can be done with a router from the inside of the frame, and should be an easy fix for a moderately experienced woodworker or most cabinet shops.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    When you install, get a roll of "window AC seal". Basically 1 inch foam insulation sticky on one side. Close the gap between the new Danby and the face of the cabinet. This will stop the drafts.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"