Keder Rail - tip

Mags80Mags80 Member Posts: 10
I am a new user of the keder rail on my 2018 t@b 320s and was struggling to attach the keder insert pahaque side tent and a canopy to which I sewed 8mm keder insert. (Not at the same time of course.) i tried the tip of using a few drops of dish detergent and that helped but I knew the ‘slide” should be easier.  Then I had an ah-ha moment and checked the screws attaching rail to t@b. Most needed tightening and after doing that, I was successful in quickly attaching either to my t@b. Now I’m ready for my next adventure to Texas’ Fulton Beach.
2018 ‘Sylvie’ t@b320s
TV 2016 Toyota Highlander 6 cyl with towing pkg…whatever that means

Comments

• Matlock01Matlock01 Member Posts: 4
    I had a similar issue but found the holes on the Keder rail for the attaching screws were not counter sunk.  I slowly backed each one out, carefully counter sunk the holes, reinserted the screws and it now works like a champ.  Not sure if mine was a mess up from the factory or what.  Do they all come like that?
    Tab 320 CS-S pulled behind 2016 Honda Odyssey
    Northern GA

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited October 2022
    I recently had the exact same experience as you, @Matlock01, before I even found your report.  I had made a ropelight using 3/8" vinyl tubing, but it was very difficult to thread it through the Keder rail, because of the screw heads sticking up.
    Here's a photo of one of the holes to show how I carefully drilled out the hole for countersinking the screws, like you did..

I used a 15/64" drill bit to help avoid overdrilling, but a 1/4" bit should work too..

Here are example shots of before & after countersinking the screwhead.. 

It definitely helped create more space inside the Keder rail, and the 3/8" tube was easily threaded after all the screws were reseated.
    I also reseated all the screws on the driver side Keder rail.  Curiously, on the driver side I could not find any of the wider openings for inserting things into the rail.  Why was that not done at the factory?
    So, next fix is to get out the vicegrips and bend some aluminum to create some  openings, if ever needed.  Which reminds me..  aluminum is soft & easily scratched & gouged, so care is needed (like a rag inside the vicegrips).  Even my screwdriver bit was scratching the edges of the Keder rail.  I fixed those with a small file and some medium grit sandpaper to smooth it out so things will slide easily.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    My 2017 didn't have an "opening" for the driver side rail either.  I had to carefully make my own.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    The topic of loose keder rail screws has come up a few times in the past, but I confess I never inspected mine until yesterday when I noticed that several of mine had backed out. Hmmm, maybe that is why inserting the awning in the rail seems to get tougher ever year--I just thought it was increasing age and decreasing patience...  ;-)
    Mine are not countersunk either, but I suspect just snugging them back up will go a long way in making things slide easier.
    2015 T@B S
  • YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    edited October 2022
    I, too, have widened the rail on the driver's side (finally) after a couple of years of struggling to put up our awning on the occasionally south facing driver's side.

I understand this helps to use the rail- I own it, but haven't tried it yet. Well reviewed by others (sailors!). 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited October 2022
    I've been using "Super Lube Dry Film" for years.  I makes a big difference.  I can tell when it's time to reapply because pulling the cord through gets noticeably more difficult.
    https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-11016-Aerosols-Dri-Film/dp/B000RFRM4U?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

• tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    edited October 2022
    I used sheetmetal vicegrip to make Keder rail openings on the driver's side. It went quickly. Image result for Sheet Metal Vice Grips Size 187 x 185 Source wwwebaycomI matched the openings on the passenger side.

Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    Super Lube is a teflon spray, many brands are out there.  It drys white.  Teflon spray is very useful for squeaks and assorted vibration noises as well.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 361
    I've made tightening screws a bi-annual event on my maintenance chart.  I've found the screws holding the trim on my T@b and the Keder rail screws loosen up fairly quickly, probably due mostly to the flexing going on during towing.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • ncarbsncarbs Member Posts: 10
    I use the Sail Kote but be careful as it can ruin your graphics if it drips down on them.
  • tomtektomtek Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2023
    I countersunk my keeder rail screws today.   Oh my is it so much easier to put awning up now.   It just slides right through.  Not sure if I even need to worry about lubricant.

I used a square bit that had a small shank so it fit in the keeder rail easily then I used a 1/4 countersink bit and got all the screws flush.

So Nice.    Should have been a factory detail for sure.   
    2009 Dutchman TQ - Sold
    2021 CS-S - Enjoying the new layout
    2011 Outback 3.6r