Options

Accumulator Tank Adjustment Question

I just installed an accumulator tank (SeaFlo 0.75L) in my 2014 T@B CS-S. I’ve had my T@B for a couple of years but only just started making any mods. This was my first plumbing venture 😅.  Install went well but took awhile due to the tight space. In the CS-S the water pump is in the kitchen hatch on top of the freshwater tank. 

I was hoping that it would keep the pump from turning on at all for a nighttime bathroom trip or two but I only seem to get about a cup of water before the pump turns on (although it is quieter). Is this normal or do I need to adjust the tank pressure? Looks like the cut in pressure for my ShurFlo pump is 40 psi. I charged the accumulator tank to 38 psi per the installation instructions. Is anyone getting more “quiet time” from theirs? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Maybe you should just use water from a jug to flush during the night.  Also, if the system is pressurized, you may be able to flush at least once without the pump.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    StepheninDenStepheninDen Member Posts: 29
    Actually flushing with a water jug should work now! My 2014 T@B CS-S isn’t pressurized (the accumulator tank now does that) so the problem with that system in the past was that as soon as you pull the flush handle the pump would turn on and in the clamshell the pump switch is in the rear hatch so you had to remember to turn that off before going to bed. The new accumulator tank should give me enough time to flush but not enough to fill the bowl. Thanks for reminding me that the jug can now help Sharon is SAM!

That said I was hoping that given the tank holds .75L, that I could get more than a cup before activating the pump. Anyone getting different results or is this normal?
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    Alde recommends keeping an air cushion in the water heater. When I combine that with my shurflo accumulator I can get over 20 fluid ounces of water out of the system while the pump is turned off all night. Good for a couple of quick flushes.
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Thanks @jimcenname. How do you create an air cushion in your hot water tank? I’ve got a 2014 T@B, so not sure it’s something I have control of. Do you remember what pressure you have your accumulator tank set to? 
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    edited September 2022
    The air cushion is created whenever you drain and refill the hot water tank via the yellow flapper pressure relief valve.  It's recommended to do this every ten days of use or so.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    No need to completely drain the hot water tank, just lift the flipper valve for a few seconds, air cushion is restored.  You only need to do this after using the hot water system for three or four days of use.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    @StepheninDen below is a clip of the Alde instruction. I have 30PSI in my Shurflo Accumulator. 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2022
    Jim, yes after,10 days of use, draining and refilling is always a good idea.  Between times, just flipping the safety drain valve for a few seconds, helps to maintain the air cushion, every three or four days. I think the Alde manual has a typo on one of the 10 day references.  
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thank you!! Very helpful to know both for the original accumulator tank question and protecting the alde hot water system!