Options

Can you tow a TAB 320 Behind a Minivan?

Ha! I now know the answer!

I'm a new member (first post) and just got home with our "new to us" 2021 Tab 320 CS-S Boondock a few weeks ago! I am posting this for anyone who is researching towing a TAB Trailer behind a mini van because I had a heck of a time finding good information. 

So my short answer is... possibly.

I have a 2016 Honda Odyssey (248-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6) with a dealer installed hitch and Transmission Cooler (very important) and "me" installed electric brake hookup.  Gross tow weight for my MV is 3600# with 2 people and 3400# with 4 people on board (from the owners manual).  The published dry weight for my 320 CS-S is 2150# with Max Gross Weight of 2900#. Now, I have not yet weighed the trailer but I am no stranger to towing utility trailers and 17'-20' boats behind my MV. I have towed this 320 for about 1000 miles in the "Mountains" of VA and the "Hills" of North GA, both empty and fully loaded (full water, extra tent, generator strapped to the front, gas can, cooler, etc.) and here is my take away.

It tows easily empty but you can feel it when it is loaded up.  I have no issue stopping the trailer down hill, fully loaded (electric brakes work great so I have no safety concerns stopping) but the issue is getting it up steep inclines when fully loaded. Straight and level no real issue.  You will be limited to 60 mph max! That's terminal velocity (coming down a steep mountain in neutral you will not accelerate past 60 mph) but 60 mph is the recommended max speed anyway! Anything over 60 mph and you are going to be pushing your MV too hard (IMO) and tearing up the engine and transmission. There's too much parasitic drag sticking up over the top of the MV to get the rig any faster (remember parasitic drag increases at the square of your velocity/It's not linear). My MV does have a tow setting (D4) for the transmission (basically turns the overdrive off) and it tows pretty well up and down normal gradients in this tow setting. At 55-60 mph in D4, I'm running 3000 rpm constant and getting 15.6 mpg with little deceleration up hill.  On level terrain I turn the D4 setting off and rpm drops back to 2000 and I get 16.2 mpg (with no trailer I average 25-28 mpg highway). As a towing comparison I get 18-19 mpg pulling my 3000# ski boat at 65-70 mph and I never have to use the tow setting (D4).  Again, I think it has to do with the parasitic drag of the trailer sitting up over the MV. 

Summary, I you are thinking about towing with a Honda Odyssey or comparable MV, don't go any larger than the Tab 320. If you are thinking a Tab 400, get a truck (unless you live in Kansas). If you are going to trailer a 320 in say Colorado or Utah, up in the Rockies then think about getting a truck. Or go with the smaller Tag or the Tag XL.

PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to help.

Matlock

Tab 320 CS-S pulled behind 2016 Honda Odyssey
Northern GA

Comments