Options

How are mosquitoes getting in with fuzz?

subkronsubkron Member Posts: 152
So we had a super bad evening dealing with mosquitoes getting in to our t@b. Screens have the fuzz, we were limiting entry and exit but did need light so we only had one kitchen light on. It was obvious they were getting in, we killed a  bunch but more kept showing up. Could have closed up and run AC but we are kind of wanting to get fresh air while camping. 

Anyone find other areas of infiltration?

BTW, the fuzz only takes up about 75% of the channel width. If the screen gets a bit bunched up and does not line up with the fuzz it is easy entry.

Would like to get this resolved, camping until Sunday and wife is a bug magnet.
2022 T@B 400 Boondock
2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
South Jersey

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    There is a small gap around the screen door frame on the TaB400, big enough for small flying insects to get in.  You can fill the gap with small foam robe, used for caulking around windows in home construction.  Just use a putty knife to work it into the gap a the top and sides.  The top gap seems to be the biggest issue.  We had the same problem with small flying insects last year when camping at Clear Lake.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    As you have noted, the bug fuzz helps a lot but is not a perfect system with the accordion screens.
    Here are a couple other places to check:
    • The screen door. Mine had no fuzz in the upper track (and no real good way to add any).
    • The screen frames. My curved front window had big gaps between the plastic frame and the walls. these aren't always obvious unless you stick your head into the opening and look directly at them. Compressable foam weatherstrip installed under the frame solved this problem.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Little things help.  Reverse the air flow of the ventilation fan to bring air into the camper from the screened top vent, and out the windows/door.  Use minimum light that is away from open windows/door.  No exterior light.  Cooking odors and heat from cooking attracts them.  Campfire light and heat attracts them.  Mosquito zappers attract them.  Black tank vent odors attract them, dump and rinse daily if you have hookups, be sure your dump connection at the campground is tight.

An open campsite away from woods/brush/bushes is much, much better.

Douglas from Minnesota (Land of 10,000 Lakes and Zillions of Mosquitos)

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    @kottum
    Thanks for your response.  Tbh I did all that and more this evening and still they were finding a way in. So we closed all windows, have fan blowing in, running AC and it has finally stopped.
    Really. To spend all this and have a lot of mosquitoes find a way in makes no sense. Seems like the screen has issues  somewhere that I will need to deal with since it stopped when i latched closed the windows. The wow factor of the shade, screen look has worn off for me.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    You're exactly right, to spend all this cash and have a camper full of mosquitos.  That is a completely unsatisfactory condition, and we as owners deserve a factory solution.  Everyone who has bugs coming through their screened windows needs to make a complaint to Nucamp, and demand a fix.

(Sometimes I wonder if the people who design and market these things have ever camped in them.)

Douglas
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    While we wait for longer term fixes to address this, I sometimes spray insect repellant around cracks or gaps in windows, etc. Or the occasional cigar. :)
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 983
    @kottum I agree completely with you.  Lucky for us here in CO we don't have major bug issues but on our last trip for the first time we experienced the camper full of small bugs.  Luckily for us they were not biting bugs but is was very annoying.  The screens used on the T@bs, especially the door, are terrible for keeping bugs out and really needs to be improved upon.  I'd rather have the old style RV screen door that actually keeps bugs out than this fancy pull out door that does not help.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @Denny16
    Thanks, I too had found a (not small, rather large) gap (1/8"-3/16" around the screen door frame a few weeks back.  Sent a message to nuCamp to see if there was supposed to be a gasket and recommended there should be if not.  The response I got was "That gap is normal, there is no gasket meant to be there".  Weatherstripping took care of that.

Found another large gap on the front window, inside top where the frame is supposed to be against the inner wall.  There are actually shims in 2 locations (I guess to keep the plastic frame square) but it creates another large gap there.  Since I am still camping stuffed some paper towels in there. That probably explains when I closed the window and latched it the infestation gradually reduced.  Again, if they (nuCamp) are shimming the frame and creating gaps it should have been obvious and in my opinion should have sealed it on the spot. Kind of lack of attention to detail.

(Edited for profanity per Administrator.)

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The gap around the screen door frame seems to vary, mine is 1/8” or so on the top, and less on one side, whilst the other side is tight.  Others have reported a gap as large as 1/4 or so.  Small to me is 1/8” or less, large approaches 1/4 on something like a screen door frame fit.  It is all relative, on my wood journey, gaps are in the thousands of an inch.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,354

Someone else on the forum recommended this.  Seems to work well.  Active ingredient is Permethrin.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,354
    Oops! Spray it on the window and door screens.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.