Options

Time to say adios!

After 5 years of thoroughly enjoying my TAB 320, I finally traded her in and took the step to a larger, more traditional travel trailer.   I simply needed more space than any of the current lineup could provide.   My TAB was my stab at trying the RV lifestyle to see how I liked it before investing more.   Here’s a few things I thought I’d share that I learned along the way.

1. This forum and community is hands down the best.   So much sharing, debating, and learning that isn’t matched with other brands.   For that - thank you to all of you.   
  2. The campers are hard to beat for the quality and value you get.  I’m getting bigger for sure, but no where near the quality - unless you’re willing to spend substantially more.   And mine held its value well.   The tech that took the trade said he’s never seen a 5 year old camper in that good of a condition.  
  3. For boon docking, these little campers are well thought out and deliver.  With all the mods you can make, you really can zero in on a camper that is uniquely outfitted for you.   They should name these PC - personal campers!
  4. Change out your tires - Goodyear Endurance for me.   I literally drove my new trailer to a Discount Tire and had them change the tires on the way back home.  
  5. Don’t over buy organizational things out of the gate.  You can think all you want about your needs but you won’t really know until you gain some experience.  With my new rig, I’ve just loaded all the stuff I know I used and threw it into the cabinets and compartments.   And I’m going out a few times close and will then buy what I need based on how I actually use the space.  
  6. Don’t ignore the maintenance.  And that includes your TV.  I never experienced any problems with things in the camper not working as it was well maintained and I did pre trips for my bigger trips when I knew availability to services would be minimal when I got there.
  7. Embrace things when your trips don’t go as planned.   It’s going to happen.  Go with it, deal with it, and remember - you’re creating memories and experiences with fine people all over this country that most people will never do.  
  8. Good Sams is indispensable.  I had to use them a number of times with my TV (My jeep) and that was the best money I spent. 
  9. Don’t be afraid if you’ve never done something before.   Almost all of my trips and experiences were doing things Or seeing places I had never seen.   I learned a lot about me in the process.  And I developed new passions I didn’t know I had.  Much to the chagrin of my wife, I have new hobbies and even more places on my ever increasing bucket list.
  10. Lastly, do your homework.  Research things.   Learn from others.   But don’t wait if you’re thinking about pulling the trigger on any of these campers.   The perfect time to start and go camping is now.   

2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
David & Jill, Houston, TX

Comments