Remove batteries for MN winter? Disconnect solar first?

I have read very interesting comments in these forum. Thank you to all who post and answer questions!

I have a 2021 Tab 320S boondock with factory solar and the standard battery that came with it. I need to store it outside, covered, in a Minnesota winter where we will could have 30 below temperatures and 2 feet of snow by November. I will not be around to remove the snow nor to check on the Tab.

Should I remove the battery for the winter? The solar panel will be covered and not able to provide a charge. There is no nearby shore power.

If I do remove the battery, what are the steps? I'm afraid of damaging the solar controller, or damaging myself if I disconnected it incorrectly.

- I've read I should turn off the charging function in the Victron app. 

- Then should I pull the fuses that are on the cables connected to the battery?

- Cut off the battery using the switch

- Disconnect the negative terminal
- Disconnect the positive terminal
- Store the battery in my warm basement on a piece of wood.

Thank you for the help.
2021 T@b 320 S

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Looks correct.  I would also take pictures of the battery wiring and/or label them.  Well, your pictures are already here, so maybe label them.  Also, make sure your battery is fully charged and put it on a trickle charger.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Technically: a fully charged battery, with the battery switch off, will hold a charge for months. (key word: fully charged).
    A fully charged battery will not freeze until the battery reaches -80F.  (again...fully charged).

Solar controllers are pretty simple devices, and it is hard to damage them these days unless you really set out to try.  Especially the Victrons.
    If you do disconnect and remove the battery, there will be no power going to the Controller, so there is no need to turn it off, either.
    No matter what, take a picture of that wiring and save it in your "Tab" file, and it may just come in handy one day.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 129
    My dealer told me that it was fine to leave my AGM batteries in the camper for the first four years and then I should remove them, taking photos first, and store them indoors on a trickle charger.  My camper is stored in an unheated building during the MN winters, and I have not had any issues for the first two years at keast.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Removing the AGM batteries from a TaB400 is not an easy task either…. Think I would replace the AGMs with Lithium after they are four years old…  B)
     cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • CaptenajCaptenaj Member Posts: 42
    One thing that I just thought of, doesn't the battery power the trailer breaks? If so then I would have to take the battery out after I get my Tab to the storage facility.
    2021 T@b 320 S
    Yes and no, the battery provides power to the brakes if the TV and trailer separate, and the 7-pin cable becomes disconnected.  Normally, the brakes get their power from the 7-pin during normal towing.  Yes, it would be best to remove the battery once you arrive at the storage facility.
     Cheers 
  • mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    Captenaj - I deal with the same MN temps and your outline above looks appropriate.  As other have mentioned, putting a trickle charger on your battery in its nice warm basement once a month helps keep your battery in good shape.  There are debates about whether to keep it on constantly or just periodically... personally, I go with periodic as that mimics the occasional monthly use.  'Normal use' characteristics can't be unhealthy for it.  

I have three other fine points that I do for the extreme cold and they branch off to plumbing but here they are for your awareness:
    1) use the -75F RV antifreeze just to be safe.  I had some minor problems with the less robust version my first year
    2) leave the alde low point drain valve open (yellow flap)
    3) after winterizing assuming you fill the system with RV antifreeze, turn off the pump and relieve the pressure from the plumbing - I quickly crack open/then tighten the low point drains into a bucket just for a split second to do this.  
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
    edited October 2022
    Opening and closing the low point drains after adding antifreeze, also get the pink stuff into the low point drain valves.
     Cheers 
  • DanaDana Member Posts: 45
    This is an excellent discussion as I am a newbie also and am about to winterize my 2021 tab 320.  Question:  I don't have the victron ap.  Is it really necessary? I was going to remove batteries (I have two) and alternate on trickle charger in garage (which is pretty warm) for 6 months until May.  I live in Gunnison Colorado which can also get pretty cold and windy in winter just like our MN friends.  My TAB 320 will be stored in my son's north 40 and subjected to the elements, but covered.  Thankyou Captenaj  for starting this thread.  
    Unless you want the workout of removing the batteries: it isn't really necessary.   As stated above: a fully charged battery, with the trailer battery switch off, will hold a charge for months.  A fully charged battery won't freeze until -80F. 
    The Victron app is a very useful tool for monitoring your battery.  Knowing your battery state of charge (properly measured) is the key to maximize battery life ( and worry free camping.)  Imagine driving a vehicle without a gas gauge. 
    2017 Outback
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @pthomas745 - I know AGMs hold their charge for a long time in storage, is that true for regular flooded batteries?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    AGM's have a lower self discharge rate.  Depending what  you read, about 3-5 percent per month for an AGM.  You see numbers for flooded batteries everywhere between 1-15 percent per month, depending on the age and health of the battery.  My 2016 "original" flooded Interstate battery self discharges at about half a volt per month.  I watch it fairly closely due to its age. 
    2017 Outback
    I just pulled my batteries.  Question....I disconnected the solar cables from the battery and wrapped in electrical tape, rather than pulling the fuses from the cable itself.  This was the advice from dealer.  Any thoughts?
    edited October 2022
    Dana, always a good idea to tape up exposed wires, but if you have the Victron Solar controller, you can turn off solar power from the Victron App and this will prevent any voltage going to the wires.  If you do not have the Victron MPPT, then I would also pull the fuse, so the cables are not hot when you reconnect them in the spring.
     Cheers 
    edited October 2022
    Thanks Denny16.  I did turn off the charging function in the Victron app before I did anything.  I was worried about leaving those cables exposed, but I guess its ok.  I just taped the little fuse caps, and cables are in the battery boxes inside the storage box on tongue so I think I'm good to go.  Reverse procedure next spring.