Options

2018 T@B 400 winterizing/plumbing

I recently became the owner of a 2018 T@B 400 and am winterizing for the first time, for a Maine winter. I can’t find instructions for the 2018 T@B 400 pre-nautilus plumbing configuration. I’ve drained and blown out everything and added antifreeze to drains/waste tanks. Since I’m in Maine, antifreeze may be needed in the supply side as well. Can anyone tell me what the purpose is for 2 in-line valves in the compartment under the floor of the wardrobe, accessed from inside the camper? One is in cold (blue) pipe and the other is next to it in a hot (red) pipe. How should they be positioned when pulling antifreeze up through the siphon tube/valve in same compartment?  Should they both be open during summer season? I know to set bypass valve in other compartment to bypass to avoid putting antifreeze in alde hot water tank since I may run alde heat in winter.

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,721
    edited October 2022
    Welcome to the Forums.  The 2018 400 is still pretty close to the 320 layout for winterizing, but there are differences.
    I believe the two inline valves you are discussing are the Alde supply lines. If you were filling the trailer with antifreeze, they should be closed, to prevent RV antifreeze from going into the Alde hot water tank.  Close those valves, and open the "bypass" valve, and that allows the antifreeze to travel around the system without going into the hot water tank.
    This is a thread that discusses some of the things about the 2018, but it does sound you have a decent handle on the process.
    Are we talking about these two valves?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Here is the link I forgot!

The thread also shows the "bypass" handle in the side port.  With those two valves in the picture above closed, and the bypass handle on "bypass" the antifreeze can flow through the trailer without going into the Alde hot water tank.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    GreyGhostGreyGhost Member Posts: 5
    Thank you Thomas. Yes, those are the valves in the photo. I’m not seeing a thread link.
  • Options
    Thanks again, pthomas. This was very helpful. Took about 5 minutes. Seems that outside shower was separated to the non-antifreeze side of the valves as no antifreeze pumped through to it. Took the outside shower head off and shook as much water out of hose as I could. Had already blown it out with air. Anti freeze came out of two of the three low point drains. Presumably the third drain with no antifreeze came from the alde hot water tank that had been bypassed.
  • Options
    Just watched Travels with Delaney video…after I winterized, ha ha. He had both line valves under closet floor open while pumping antifreeze through. It came all the way through to outside shower in video. Still confused about the purpose of those line valves in the compartment under the wardrobe floor. Do both need to be shut along with the bypass valve in bypass position to keep antifreeze out of alde hot water tank?
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 627
    edited October 2022
    Those valves don't control water flow to the Alde on your 400.  They only go to the outside shower, and maybe the bathroom.  I would leave them open and winterize them like you do the rest of the system.  I personally just blow out the system with no antifreeze.  If you use antifreeze, you could just blow out those lines and close them before adding antifreeze.  Don't forget to blow out the toilet either way.

The Bypass valve in the Alde compartment (driver's side, rear) is used to prevent antifreeze from getting into the Alde hot water tank.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    I second what @Horigan said above.  Those two valves are the hot and cold water to the outside shower.  Leave them open when running the antifreeze.  The purpose of those valves is simply to shut off the water to the outside shower in the event of a leak, etc.  Remember to turn big red Alde lever in the outside compartment to the Bypass position before pumping in the antifreeze.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    Thank you for the correction on my wrong assumption about those two valves.  Which makes me ask: the bypass valve does all the work for cutting off the Alde?
    I'm comparing the earlier Alde builds that saw the bypass valve, and the two hot and cold pipes running toward the Alde.
    Like in this photo from the 2017 winterizing manual files. The "cold water and hot water valves". 
    If so..what exactly is the purpose of the valves cutting off the water supply to the outside shower?

2017 Outback
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    @pthomas745 I believe the photo you attached is from a 320.  With the 2018 400 there is a big red Alde bypass switch in the outside compartment that cuts off the water supply to the Alde.  It is plumbed to act just as the valve in your picture.  Just much easier to find.

The cold/hot valves in the closet are the only shut off points for the outside shower water supply in the 2018 400. They come in handy if you end up with any leaks in the outside shower assembly (I know from personal experience).
  • Options
    Yes, the photo is from our winterizing files (and it looks just like my 2017 320). 
    Thanks for the re-education in this thread, I've mis identified those two valves to the shower a couple of times.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    Thank you pthomas, Horigan and XenanMe! I contacted NuCamp by email and phone and have yet to receive a reply. I definitely have the bypass valve set correctly. Glad I blew out the outside shower pipes before our first freeze. I’ll open the valves under the wardrobe and pump some antifreeze into them as well. Belt AND suspenders for anticipated freeze thaw cycles to 20 below zero.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    If you drain all your tanks, the plumbing low point drains, and open the yellow flapper valve in the Alde compartment, on the floor (which drains any remaining water from the Alde hot water tank), and blow out the water lines, then leave the taps open, you will not have any water left in the system to freeze.  You only need to add antifreeze to the gray tank, then open the gray tank drain valve enough to get some antifreeze into the slide valve, repeat with the black tank.  These two slide valves are the most vulnerable to freeze damage.  As for adding additional antifreeze to the plumbing system, it’s an option you can do if you want.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.