Options

Camping with no hot water needed

I'm paranoid and want to make sure I won't damage our camper when I go camping in a couple months (cold weather)

The water tanks will be empty, the water lines already have pink stuff in them (see my previous post,) and I'll be on shore power (30amp.)  If I'm reading the manual for the Alde system right, once I get set up, make sure it's on electric, set to 2kW, and set the hot water bar to "none" and I should be ready to camp, yes?  Set the temp to something comfortable, maybe crack the roof fan a smidge to get airflow, and relax?
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2022
    The water tanks will be empty, the water lines already have pink stuff in them (see my previous post,) and I'll be on shore power (30amp.)  If I'm reading the manual for the Alde system right, once I get set up, make sure it's on electric, set to 2kW, and set the hot water bar to "none" and I should be ready to camp, yes?  
    Yes. 
    maybe crack the roof fan a smidge to get airflow, and relax?
    You need to crack open something when hanging out inside the camper for extended periods, lest you slowly smother yourself with CO2. If you don't have enough of an outdoor breeze to drive air exchange, you should probably run the fan too.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,720
    edited October 2022
    The Alde FAQ states this four different times:

Can I use my heating system even though the freshwater in my water heater has been drained off?

Yes, you can use your heating system as normal even if the water heater is empty.

https://www.alde.us/faq/

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 209
    I do not use the hot water system. It is always set in bypass. We mostly use the water (either city or tank) to flush the toilet). Yet we use the ALDE for heating when needed. 

As you stated, make sure you turn off the hot water setting to "none" on the ALDE panel and you will be good to go.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    I like to use a small USB fan on the back ledge to not only help "push" the warm Alde heat radiating up from the back wall out, but it also provides air movement as it gets a bit stuffy. Additionally, I'll vent the front window and/or the fan hood to help with moisture. Have fun!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,547
    When we heat our CSS cabin, to increase airflow (eliminate condensation and promote convection) we crack the roof vent and the front window.  If you crack a window to close to the Alde control panel, it will overheat the cabin as it senses the cold air.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 224
    So it sounds like my best bet will be to leave the stargazer open a smidge (1/4" ish) and the fan open a smidge as well to keep the air moving through without having cold air blast straight at the Alde panel by the door then.

Or, would setting the window locks to the "second" position, not the fully closed, be enough to let some air in around the window without cooling things down too much?  The ceiling vent would still be cracked open a smidge.

BTW, we've got a T@B 400
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    We use the 2nd lock that creates a small gap, and open the roof vent so you can see light over the lip, about 1-2”.  You can also open the galley window to the 2nd lock, pull up the shade about 4” and close the screen to meet the shade.  This way, you do not have a direct draft on the bed area, which is what we do.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,547
    Second lock with shade up works well.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,313
    Venting the front window and cracking the roof vent like @Sharon_is_SAM works for us, but what really helps is to keep the air moving. Our kitchen fan has worked well for us. We point into the cabin at night and out the front when cooking.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 224
    Not sure where the Alde panel is in your 320, but if I open the front window and direct a fan into the camper at night, it's going to be blowing right at the Alde panel in our 400.

But I DO like the idea of a small fan like that anyways for the kitchen to blow out when we're cooking, if nothing else to try to move out some of the steam / etc from cooking.  If you can, what's the brand and model of your fan?  I'm presuming it's battery powered?
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Not sure where the Alde panel is in your 320, but if I open the front window and direct a fan into the camper at night, it's going to be blowing right at the Alde panel in our 400.
    Can't speak for older models, but in 2021 and newer versions of the 320, the Alde system regulates cabin temperature based on input from a remote sensor probe that's mounted below one of the reading lights at the back of the camper. It looks like this (only the dome at the top is visible): 

ALDE TEMP SENSOR  eBay
    Northern VA
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,313
    If you can, what's the brand and model of your fan?  I'm presuming it's battery powered?
    Found this one on Amazon. It's our second. One of the fans on the first died after a summer of heavy use. The new one is theoretically a different brand, so we're hoping for a longer life. Neither are battery powered. I tapped into the 12V power from the radio/tv circuit.
    On our 320S, the Alde panel is around the corner on the bath wall, so it doesn't blow directly on it.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Actually, I started to second guess myself and went to check. That particular sensor is for the Elwell Air8. There's a seemingly identical part from Truma that appears to be compatible with the Alde system, hence my confusion.
    Northern VA