Options

Waving Goodbye

TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
It’s been a fun 3 years in our 400, but today we passed her along to new owners to experience brand new adventures.  It was bittersweet to see it pulling out of the driveway this afternoon to her new home.  I’ve discovered a wealth of help and advice on this forum, and really appreciated everyone’s input.

The search for a replacement has already begun.  We know we want a bigger camper, but just not sure yet what it will be.

See you outside somewhere . . . .

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    @TNOutbackBest wishes on your new Travel Trailer adventures.
    Please do let us know what TTrailer you decide on - - - many of us search/dream of something different.

I did laugh at your "know we want a bigger camper" as the 400 seems to be huge to me. . . .

Just today while researching a short duration trip I came across a nice CG that clearly states "trailers under 20-feet" . . . and it is now on my possible stopover list. :)

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    Best of luck to you on your next adventure and happy trails.  I do hope you steered the new owners to this forum, as it is invaluable to newbies.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Thanks for all your contributions to the forum!  Good luck in your search.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @TNOutback sorry to see you go...
    Plz check in now and again and let us know how you are doing. Relax and enjoy whatever is next for you as it is all part of the adventure!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,003
    I can only imagine the strange feeling of seeing your T@b being towed away by someone else.  Thanks for all your contributions and good luck in your search for another trailer.  Yes please let us know what you end up getting. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Check out the Lance campers.  I found the quality to be excellent. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    klenger said:
    Check out the Lance campers.  I found the quality to be excellent. 
    The absorption refrigerator is a no-go for me, and I don’t want a slide out. Looked at the 2075, but the kitchen is smaller than the 400, and has very little storage in the bedroom. 
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @TNOutback good luck on your search. As far as Lance, Patrick with the Travels With Delaney YouTube channel has had:
    Broken slide, bent axle, screws pulling out of the particle board/picture wood, and a bad stove that could not be replaced in a reasonable time.
     :o 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Sounds like you might try an Oliver since they are right in TN. I almost went for a factory tour before I found my used 400. Pricey but excellent quality build from what I have read.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    I have a set of features that may be very hard to find. @qhumberd I did consider the Oliver, which are very nice, but just not quite big enough, and I want to get away from a wet bath, plus have the ability to host at least one of our adult children on occasion.

I don’t want a slide out, don’t want a wood frame structure, no rubber roof, no absorption refrigerator.  Prefer composite panels (Azdel) instead of luan or vac bonded over luan or some wood core.  Prefer 4 season.  Right now, Bigfoot RV and Airstream are on the list, and still looking.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Check out Safari Condo based in Canada. Might be a contender for the best-built camper out there. And the aesthetic is very much in line with the T@B.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
    @manyman297 I looked at Safari Condo earlier this summer and they are/were taking orders for fall 2025 delivery!
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I too am looking for something larger, my list is very similar to @TNOutback. When you select under 26 Ft overall length, no slides, and a non-absorption refrigerator you knock most everything off the list including Arctic Fox, Lance, Outdoors RV. Yes, there are a few others that fit the criteria, but the build quality is so poor in comparison to what NuCamp puts together that they are not worth mentioning. 

I have narrowed my search down to a couple of different models, but my usage is drastically different than @TNOutback. Once I have made a decision, I will share with this group of people what direction I went.

I too will be sad to leave the NuCamp family, but we need more space, and a true 4 season is highly desirable but not a must. I can use a 3.5 season just fine.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,278
    The way our dealings with nuCamp and our dealer are playing out, switching to a different brand is a real possibility. Most of our considerations are the same as yours @TNOutback. The Airstream Basecamp is on the top of our list, but the price may have us looking somewhere else. We're very interested in hearing what you decide on and why you make your decision. Hope you stay in touch here.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    For my part, I’ve been spoiled by NuCamp’s construction approach, materials and systems.  I’ve been spoiled by that Alde system, but it appears it only exists elsewhere in the highest trim of the biggest Airstream - no thank you.  Their Avia held some promise, but was too big for our needs.  Ugh.
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    I know this has been discussed in other threads, but it appears there is an unserved market in terms of folks wanting basically a larger T@b.  Hello, NuCamp?
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    I know this has been discussed in other threads, but it appears there is an unserved market in terms of folks wanting basically a larger T@b.  Hello, NuCamp?
    I think the ultimate bottleneck here would be Knaus Tabbert, where the T@b schematics originate. 
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited November 2022
    Yes, a TaB design needs to originate or be approved in Germany, and the EU market is swinging towards smaller, lighter caravans that can be towed by EVs.  But, nüCamp can build a non TaB trailer bigger than the TaB400, but smaller than the Avia, a small Avia design, like Safari Condo‘s F series, single axle trailers in the 20/21 foot range.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    kevenv said:
    @manyman297 I looked at Safari Condo earlier this summer and they are/were taking orders for fall 2025 delivery!
    Wow! I think if we were to upgrade it would be a safari condo F2114...time to place my order if that's going to happen =)
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
    @manyman297 That's the one we were looking at.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    I recall looking into Escape trailers as well. With the strong US dollar, might be worth a look as they have a dry bath option now. 

https://escapetrailer.com/the-23-escape/

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
     I've looked at all those trailers and been in most of them, the Escape, Oliver, Safari Condo, Lance, Little Guy Max and while they have some nice features, some nicer than others, the problem with them is they just do not have the aesthetics and feel I get when I go back in our T@b 400.  There is just something different about the feel you get inside the T@b.  If NuCamp did make say a 450 or 500, say another 3 feet longer and with a small dry bath I'd be in for sure! The only major thing we want down the road is a small dry bath.  Otherwise the rest of the space is pretty good.  And maybe a small closet with hanging space combined with the larger fridge.  And maybe a full set of Truma appliances, AC, heater and hot water!    
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    marchulemarchule Member Posts: 38
    Let's face it:  We're all square pegs trying to fit in round holes.  My original fascination with the 320S was the quality and compact size.  In time, it was just a wee too tight.  Moved on to a 400.  Now I have oodles of room in comparison.  But I still look back fondly at some 320 features: Hosting 6 people for dinner around the tiny table.  The fun thing about this forum is we all get to dream of the ideal and we find ingenious tips and tricks to make what we have be so functional.  In my opinion, the depth of knowledge that can be found in this forum will never be equaled.
    2018 320S / KIA Sorento 3.5 V6  - 2022 400 Boondock / KIA Telluride 3.8 V6  -  Utah
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited October 2022
    Without having seen one in person - the only thing I've seen on the US market that seems to be comparable to the 320 S or 400 are the Intech Sol line of trailers. (Aside from the Little Guy trailers - which look similar externally, but are very lackluster internally, in my opinion). The Sol Horizon model looks like a pretty solid 400 competitor, and if you want to go a bit larger, the Intech Terra looks pretty dang nice.

I had no idea Intech existed until I saw one of their fiber-splicing trailers on the road the other day. Apparently aside from manufacturing industrial trailers for folks that do telecom work in the field and need a clean space to do their splice jobs, they also have a pretty nice lineup of recreational campers that are pretty aligned to the Nucamp Euro-aesthetic. 
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    I started my journey here looking at small teardrop trailers and found my way to NuCamp by way of their Tag line.  Prior to a NuCamp dealer visit to check out the Tags I did some on-line research on the smaller inTechs to cover my bases.  I found the smaller inTech layout awkward and cold compared to the Tag.  In the end, we purchased the 320 and are very happy. We're not ready to size up but if we ever want to a look at the inTech Horizon may be in order.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    We were in an Intech Sol not long ago and it was nice but not enough of a change from a 400, and the 400 was nicer and has a more cozy comfortable feeling.  We also went in the Terra and yeah it was super nice.  A trailer we could definitely enjoy being in, just too big for us.  I have no interest in towing a trailer that size.  We don't plan on moving on from the 400 anytime soon but someday when we start to travel for 1-3 months at a time we would like a 400 like trailer with just a bit more space. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    The little guy is has an aesthetic disconnect from the outside vs. inside. On the outside I don't mind how it looks...similar to the 400. But then you go inside and it has traditional shaker-style cabinetry and that ugly (to me) laminated countertops that don't take any cues from its outside shape and appearance. The T@B just feels better thought out from a design standpoint. Although with the bunk option in the new models I'm not so sure though because it's slowly becoming more squared off and "American" in its styling. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The galley counter on the 2023 TaB400 retains its curves and rounded end, and the washroom/dinette divider is still slanted.  But I agree, I like the curved dinette table in the original 400s.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ApositronicApositronic Member Posts: 27
    The Intech O-V-R line is pretty neat, but they're kinda behemoths compared to the Tabs and expensive. The AC nailed to the roof puts them at 10.5 ft tall! The Expedition has a nice two twin set up and would be a good kid hauler especially with the drop down bunk option over the dinette, and the Navigate seems like it's most functional for full time living although I wish the dinette were more couch like for lounging and it seems like they lack counter space for their size.
    2021 320S BD | Jeep Gladiator | North Idaho 
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    Funny story- when we first went to look at campers my husband walked into the dealership ahead of me while I unbuckled the grandson. He went into the showroom and went left—into the Intec that he was interested in. I walked in with grandson in tow but turned right—into the cutest little camper I had ever seen—a Tab 400. I fell in love and he fell in love and we bought one not too long after. The Intec had its good points but there is this disco vibe that I just don’t enjoy while the 400 is just so cozy! 
     We have also thought about a just a tiny bit bigger camper, especially as our grandson grows. But the build quality, customer service, and fellow tabbers are just the best and would be hard to replace. 
    We have enjoyed following this thread and keep our eyes open but for us -today- there is nothing that compares with the 400. 
    M
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.