Options

Wheel wrench thoughts

rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
edited October 2022 in Camping & Travel
As all of you probably know, TABs do not come with a wrench appropriate for removing the trailer wheel lug nuts should you get a flat.  In our old TV (Jeep Cherokee), the vehicle wrench fitted perfectly, but with our new TV it doesn't come close to fitting.  Amazon to the rescue: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092HM24NC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
I suggest checking that you have the tools to remove your wheels before you find out the hard way that you don't.

Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA

Comments

• Options
    TowheeTowhee Member Posts: 47
    I carry a torque wrench with appropriate socket so I can check torque.  Not sure if a tire tool could be used. to apply the 100 lbs specified.  
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2022
    I believe the TaB wheel torque is 9lbs (for the TaB400)  not 100 lbs..   B)  
    But use the torque value referenced In your manual.
     cheers I
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Good point @rh5555 - Fortunately for us the lugs on the Tab and TV are identical (after I replaced the cracked acorn nuts with solid versions).  We have a long-handled tilting socket wrench and socket for the lugs.  Our torque wrench usually stays at home (guess I'm a gambler) but it makes sense to bring it.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    edited October 2022
    I carry a T-bar with multiple sockets, two of which match my tow vehicle and the T@B. A T-bar also may provide a bit more leverage than a standard wrench for breaking lug nuts loose.
    I also leave the torque wrench at home. For changing a wheel on the side of the road I'm confident I can tighten the nuts securely, but I doubt I'm strong enough to actually damage anthing from over-torqueing.  ;-)  YMMV.
    Custom Accessories 84441 14 4-Way Lug Wrench - Walmartcom

2015 T@B S

• Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited October 2022
    A more convenient and versatile form of the T-bar that I keep handy in the back of my tow vehicle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DJ8A40/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(You can move the bars across both axes for better leverage)
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Γ=r×F=rFsin(θ)
    If you eat your Wheaties you might be able to budge the lug nuts with that....but probably not.
    A proper breaker bar or torque wrench with the proper socket should be in every campers gear.
    You need to be able to remove the lug nuts that some jackhammer mechanic torqued to 110 pounds. You need to reinstall them to the correct tightness and then re-check them after 50 and then another 50 miles.
    These Amazon tools do not fit the bill. Also, if you have decided to protect your wheels with locking lugs, have a plan for how to remove the wheel if the tool strips (it will) or if you (or your shop) lose it. 
    1/2 in. Drive Click Type Torque Wrench (harborfreight.com)
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 134
    edited October 2022
    @denny16 - Are you sure about the 90 ft-lbs?  I find in the 2022 T@b 320 manual where it shows 110 ft-lbs.  See attached PDF snap shot.  I have been using 110... so if this is not right, I will change my value.
    Thanks

1.pdf 293.4K
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 136
    For Canadians this is pretty nifty...an expandable lug wrench from Canadian Tire...fits our 2021 Tab nuts perfectly...now to just find a perfect jack!
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    PSA: A torque wrench should not be used to loosen lug nuts.
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited October 2022
    tabiphile said:
    Γ=r×F=rFsin(θ)
    If you eat your Wheaties you might be able to budge the lug nuts with that....but probably not.
    A proper breaker bar or torque wrench with the proper socket should be in every campers gear.
    You need to be able to remove the lug nuts that some jackhammer mechanic torqued to 110 pounds. You need to reinstall them to the correct tightness and then re-check them after 50 and then another 50 miles.
    These Amazon tools do not fit the bill. Also, if you have decided to protect your wheels with locking lugs, have a plan for how to remove the wheel if the tool strips (it will) or if you (or your shop) lose it. 
    1/2 in. Drive Click Type Torque Wrench (harborfreight.com)

Ranting about 'Amazon tools', then turning around and recommending something from Harbor Freight? I can't tell if this is a joke that's going over my head, or actually serious. 

There's nothing wrong with the kit I suggested, it works fine. I've used it. I also happen to have a torque wrench that costs an order of magnitude more than your recommended tool that I'm quite happy with for situations when I'm not stuck on the side of the road and need a quick fix.

Remember the context of the thread here - OP is discussing what to use when you get a flat. That rarely happens in the driveway, and most of us don't bother to haul a torque wrench around.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    At Verna's recommendation, I bought this expandable lug wrench/breaker bar and was able to loosen the lugnuts.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RF95TDC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    TowheeTowhee Member Posts: 47
    @Denny16 Per the user manual for our 2022 Tab 320 s BD, correct torque for lug nuts is 110 lbs.

2. Tighten in two stages: a. First, snugly tighten the lug nuts in the proper sequence following the lug nut tightening diagram. b. Second, again following the diagram sequence, tighten each lug nut to 110 ft. lbs. using a calibrated torque wrench. 3. After you purchase your trailer (and after remounting wheels at any time) you must tighten the lug nuts at 10 miles, 25 miles, 50 miles and before each trip you take

Due to severe consequences if a wheel comes loose or comes off, I think carrying and using a torque wrench is good insurance.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2022
    scott14 said:
    @denny16 - Are you sure about the 90 ft-lbs?  I find in the 2022 T@b 320 manual where it shows 110 ft-lbs.  See attached PDF snap shot.  I have been using 110... so if this is not right, I will change my value.
    Thanks

If the manual states 110 lbs, then that is what I would use.  But the TaB400 states 95 lbs (changed my previous post to correct value) and our dealer confirmed this.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 134
    @DENNY16 Understand and appreciate that there may be a difference between the 320 and 409 models.  I agree that the manuals should dictate.
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
    dsfdogs said:
    At Verna's recommendation, I bought this expandable lug wrench/breaker bar and was able to loosen the lugnuts.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RF95TDC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This looks really good, and I would probably have bought it instead had I seen it.
    My point is that it is important to carry something to make sure you can change a tire on the road and it's best that that something always be in your trailer, not shared with your workshop (or you won't have it when you need it).  Getting lug nuts properly torqued is secondary, they just have to be really tight, and stay tight so your wheel doesn't come loose.  You can guestimate an appropriate torque based on the length of your lever arm:  My wrench is about a foot long, so I stand on the end with half my weight - 100 ft.lb near enough. ymmv.
    Tip for getting a lug nut loose that some garage has torqued impossibly tight:  Before you jack your trailer up, use your jack to lift up on the end of your wrench - move your trailer a bit so the wrench arm is close to horizontal.  Once you have started it, you can proceed normally.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    @rh5555 yep, carry both the breaker bar and torque wrench at all times. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    I'm with @CanadianTabber and @dsfdogs.
    As I carry an extendable breaker bar with sockets that fit both the TaB and tow vehicle.

Had to use it on the TV this past spring, on a dusty, dry, hot gravel road . . . not my most enjoyable towing day :)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    I use a 21-inch steel cheater pipe in combination with my TV lug wrench. The pipe also fits my bottle jack handle and helps me jack up the trailer and TV.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Last year we had to change TV tires on 2 consecutive trips.  On the first we pulled into a truck parking lot to do the change.  Interestingly a trailer with a load of new Tab 320s was parked there.
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
     I carry a Tekton 1/2” drive 24” breaker bar with deep impact sockets for the trailer and tow vehicle. I used to rely on a 4-way lug wrench but found it wasn’t up to the task of breaking loose the lug nuts on my pickup on a very hot and dusty day. The 24” breaker bar solved the problem. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho