Options

During winterizing no water coming out of hot water tank

Just finished winterizing my 2018 320S.  When, in that process, I opened the Alde relief valve to drain the hot water tank, no water came out of the drain tube.  Not sure why that would be.  I will say I've never had success in getting consistent hot water out of the system, so maybe it just means I had not gotten water into the tank?  All I've ever gotten out of the system when I turn on the hot water at kitchen sink, are brief, minimal amounts of hot water.  Or does the lack of water coming out of the drain tube mean something more nefarious?  
2018 T@B 320S

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,485
    Had you previously opened the regular cold water drain? I believe that will also drain the Alde hot water tank.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jalars8jalars8 Member Posts: 35
    Yes, I did previously drain the cold water.  A simple answer I was hoping for.  Thanks.
    2018 T@B 320S
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    On the non Nautilus TaB’s, the hot snd cold water low point drains will drain the Alde hot water tank.  But it is still a good indie to lift the yellow pressure relief valve and drain any roaming water in the tank (if any) and the overflow lines and yellow valve.  If there is still water in the yellow flipper valve, it can freeze and be possibly damaged, since it is a low point also.  Always a good idea, and is part of the Alde winter prep instructions, to lift this valve as a double check.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @ScottG, isn't there a check valve between the Alde drain valve & the cold water lines that would prevent backflow of Alde water supply line into the cold water drain line?
    Here's our 2018..

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    @BrianZ, while I originally thought that was a check valve, I now understand it is just a reducer fitting that allows the 1/2" PEX to connect with the slightly smaller diameter PEX stubbed out of the Alde.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited October 2022
    Ahh, thank you, @ScottG!
    Makes sense now.
    I also noticed the hot water line that crosses nearby appears to have the same connector arrangement, so therefore could not be a one-way valve, or else the hot water output from the mixing valve would be blocked.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Years ago I did have a situation where I thought the HW tank had not drained when I opened the yellow relief valve. I thought at the time that some sort of vacuum was preventing flow, but in hindsight it's possible I had opened the CW drain first in that instance.
    One way to be certain you have drained the Alde HW water tank is to first close the CW supply to the Alde, open a HW tap to break any vacuum, then open the yellow relief valve. About 2.5 gallons should drain from the relief valve, confirming that you have emptied the Alde HW tank.
    Unfortunately there is no way to visually confirm the contents of the HW tank since it is deeply buried inside the guts of the Alde.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PassportPassport Member Posts: 112
    I drained my Alde after the unit had sat unused for 1 1/2 months and very little  water was released.  I figure that it may have evaporated or I partially drained it with other valves.