Options

RV wiring software - Does that exist?

I have been looking for a decent electrical wiring software....preferably with libraries that include RV equipment such as Batteries, bus bars, Victron shunt, MPPT solar chargers, ...

I was unsuccessful in finding any reference to this here but I'd be surprised if it hasn't been discussed before. 
Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks in advance.
2022 T@B 320S Boondock
2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Instagram: new.t@bventure

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    What is it are you looking to do?  "How to wire a trailer?"  Or, "what are the components of electrical systems?"
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    What is it are you looking to do?  "How to wire a trailer?"  Or, "what are the components of electrical systems?"
    I'm look at doing something something similar to what's being depicted here but with my components and with a layout that matches where they will be located in my T@B: https://www.explorist.life/solarwiringdiagrams/

2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited November 2022
    Those wiring diagrams are a nice starting point.  Next to need to layout the various components by the groups they will be installed with, and determine cable lengths between various components that will be needed.  Another good option is to use Anchor Marine wire that is stranded and tinted (no corrosion), and is available in single, duplex and three strands to each cable, which make creating wire harness runs easier.  Do not use solid wire for DC connections.  A good crimper is also going to be needed.  

If you have a few connections at one end and the source is at another end (battery to DC loads) use a DC buss bar at the load end to connect the various load sources, ad run a larger buss cable from the battery buss to here, much like a sub panel wired to the main panel in house wiring.  A good book on boat wiring is a nice guide to industry standards in pulling electrical buss runs and the use of sub buss bars.  Whilst some of the info is strictly boat specific, general practices do apply to RV wiring.
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks @Denny16, all good tips and yes there are lots of those diagrams available online but I would like to create my own version of it and start the planning process over the winter. Hence why I'm looking at existing SW options.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited November 2022
    Whilst software based systems are nice, I always preferred good ole grid drafting paper and a pencil and ruler to create a basic layout.  You could also use several general wiring layout programs, if you want to sue your computer.  Most industry specific programs are expensive enterprise level programs, whose license fees are more than $1K a year.

Here is a TaB wiring diagram example created by or posted one of our members:

Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    @Maple_Geek ;  I've also searched for free or reasonable one-time-price Electrical Wiring CAD.  Have never found anything.  While there are several options of CAD tools for electronic (PCB) and mechanical parts/assemblies.

Also seems even the big expensive CAD systems are focused on large scale wiring of buildings, airplanes, ships, etc nothing as small scale as a trailer or some electronics cabinet.

At my last two manufacturing engineer jobs the Electrical 'Wiring" design was documented using a common drawing tool with symbol libraries built up over years of usage.

Since our products were smaller than a trailer the Mechanical CAD system was used to show  'cable run' locations in a product (basically pipes of different size/color) to confirm all the worms would fit in the box
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I draw mine by hand using colored pencils and/or highlighters to separate individual circuits.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited November 2022
    I have found this one and may give it a try: https://faroutride.com/product/wiring-diagram/. I may also just use Sketchup which I've used for woodworking. I'll also look at this one: https://app.diagrams.net/ that I found on a Ford Transit conversion forum.

If you guys come across something, do let me know. Thanks!
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    I've had good luck using the draw.io app.  Here's a diagram I made of our boat positive system, pulling images from the web for components.

Here's a tutorial video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0D96ZikMkc

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    @Horigan thank you and nice diagram!
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    You might also take a look at DigiKey's Scheme-it:

Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    keithk26keithk26 Member Posts: 10
    Tinkercad is a web-based design tool.

2020 T@B 320 S, 2023 GMC Acadia /w tow pkg., Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    I took a stab at a wiring diagram highlighting the wire modifications required for people like me who are interested in moving the batteries from the front tub to the rear by the AIR8 unit on a 2022 T@B320S. This is obviously not to scale and again it only shows the new or repurposed wires.

Some notes:
    1) I plan to use 10AWG wires for this since this is what Nucamp appears to be using and I do not have or plan to install an inverter.

2) If you plan install a DC-DC charger to maximize vehicle charging, you may need a thicker wire from the front tub to the batteries but I don't plan for this at this time.

3) I plan to repurpose the existing 10AWG(?) wire from the previous battery location to the converter to bring power to the front tub for the safety breakeway device.

4) I plan to repurpose the existing 10AWG(?) wire from the previous battery location to the existing Victron solar charge controller to use for the existing tub mounted SAE solar port.

5) I plan to move the cutoff switch that was in the tub to a location inside that would be easy to access. I believe the new 2023 models have done this already.

6) One day I also plan to install a solar port closer to the new batteries spot to reduce the length of wires and maximize efficiency from my 200W external solar panel.

I don't claim that this is perfect as I went by memory and research done in this forum so perhaps I will have some surprises in the spring when I get the actual work done. I'm willing to change it and re-post it if you spot some mistakes. Your feedback so also very welcome.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 378
    Hi @Maple_Geek,

I'm in the process doing the same modification except  I'm adding an inverter also next to the Air 8  2021 320 Lithium and Inverter Install (vanillacommunity.com)   I'm waiting for my cables and high amp fuse to come in to start.    I also do not plan to install a DC to DC charger right now.  I'm not sure I need it.  I also would have to cut a hole in the TAB floor somewhere to get the wires inside since I'm moving the batteries inside.  I've been looking to see if I can fish a pull wire where the existing wires go below the bathroom and out to the trailer.  I could repurpose the 12V line to the switch, but the AWG is too small.  Attach is my drawing.

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    @Yoshi_TAB, thanks for sharing. Can you confirm that the wire from the original battery location in the tub to the power converter is 6AWG? It seems to be what your diagram is indicating but I don't remember seeing this. I thought it was 10AWG.

What about the original wire from the original battery location in the tub to the existing Victron solar controller? I assumed it was 10AWG. Can you confirm?

Thanks!
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 378
    Hi @Maple_Geek,

All wire (solar and 12V power)  in my 2021 is 10 AWG.  Some of the ground white/green wires are 12 AWG.  You may have seen an earlier version of my plan to use 6 AWG wire from the front tub to the new battery location.  I've shelved that idea when the helpful folks in this forum gave me the idea to splice the WFCO position 6 (not AWG) wire to get the power.  I also plan to repurpose some of the wires for the solar  plug in the front tub.  The number 8 AWG wire on my drawing is a mistake.  I plan to use all 10 AWG wire for the new splices.  The runs are short and 10 AWG is rated for 30amp service. 

I've have also shelved the need for DC-DC controller.  I emailed Battleborn  and actually got a call back (very surprised.. vs an email response).  TheTech. Rep assured me that no damage to the tow vehicle wiring or alternator will occur through the 7 pin trying to charge a lithium battery.  He said if you do not have a desire to charge your lithium batteries as you drive, there is no reason to install a DC-DC charge controller.  He told me that the burning up alteranator/wire is an urban myth.  He cited the victron video that shows an alternator burning up which was not set up for a real life situation.  He also agreed with my question that the 7 pin power is protected by a fuse.  

Good luck with your project.

R/stuart
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland