Options

320 Fraying Side Window String

SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
Our 320 CSS passenger side string for the screen is fraying and will soon need to be replaced.  The screen is already difficult to raise and lower.  Is the repair something a marginally handy person can tackle on their own?

(Title edited for search purposes.  Moderator)
2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    Not sure, but pre-2021 screens may be different from current models, so be aware.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    The construction of the screen looks like a horizontal version of the door screen.  I'll have to look at the door repair threads (no pun) for insights.
  • Options
    I finally mustered up the courage to tackle the window screen.  I pretty much disassembled the whole screen/shade assembly.  I was able to get it restrung with some monofilament fishing and nearly reeled in this beast. But when tightening the string with the corner hex nuts the string broke!  The take-aways from the effort are I can do this and thicker higher-test pound rating fishing line will be required.  The monofilament solution seemed to work more smoothly than the original fiber.  My concern with monofilament is over time it may deteriorate in heat and sun and I'll be doing it yet again.
    Also found some stow-aways behind the window corner trim pieces.

• Options
    Window screen is repaired.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Nice work, @Slackers. As best you can tell, did it turn out to be similar to the process for restringing the door screen? I think you may be the first to document restringing a window, but--as with the door--I suspect you will not be the last to face this issue. Any tips, tricks, or tutorials you can offer will be much appreciated!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I did not look at the door stringing process.  Instead, I paid attention to how the broken string was strung before I pulled the 2 halves out of the screen.  And took a couple photos along the way. With the window screen it was as easy as pinching pleats tightly to thread the new string through eyelets and intended holes.  I used an inexpensive 50# test monofilament fishing line for strength and thickness.  The thicker line was easier to work with (and for these experienced eyes to see).