Options

Brake controller

Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
How important are the brake controllers? I have heard that towing such a light load the electric brakes are not necessarily needed. I will be pulling a T@B S Max with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Please let me know what you think.   

Comments

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Depending on where you are towing, you can get away without it.  If you plan to go where it is mountainous, that'd be different.  However, I'd be really upset if something happened, so personally, I'd err on the side of caution.  You can get the Tekonsha Prodigy wireless brake controller if you don't want to alter your Jeep.  I have one and really like it.  I've used it on three different tow vehicles now, all of which would have been tricky to install a brake controller.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Thanks Lisa,
     That's what I was thinking about. And that can be added at any time. The expenses of getting stated are getting a little overwhelming and everyone keeps telling me I need more and more.
     Most of my camping will we close to home and not mountainous at least for a while. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Most states require brakes if the trailer/camper weighs over1500
    lbs, and some require them over 1000 lbs. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    A lot to think about, Thanks everyone
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Cat_913 said:
    A lot to think about, Thanks everyone
    Cat, while the wireless one is wonderful, only you know your budget. Get one of the wired lesser expensive ones for now and set your sights on the wireless one in the future when your budget recovers, if you want.

Call a hitch installing place for a price. (U-Haul has mixed reviews, and it might be best to try elsewhere).  RV places tend to have a higher labor rate. I've found a utility trailer dealer who does fantastic work with a labor rate of $75/hr. Yup, that's a low rate around here. I do get what I pay for from him, and he does excellent work. Get quotes from a couple of places, check with with friends about where they go. Maybe even your T@B dealer is qualified to install a brake controller. I know I saw a lot of horse trailer businesses as I traveled across Texas--check with them if one is convenient. 

And once a year, you need to have your wheel bearings greased and repacked. It costs $100 from the utility trailer guy, about $150 from Camping World. Get to know the trailer businesses, because they don't mind getting greasy!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I just looked it up and in Texas you have to have a braking system if you are towing more than 1500 lbs if you plan to drive over 30 MPH. Looks like I'll be getting a controller after all. Thanks for all the good advice.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I had UHaul do it (my T@B dealer steered me there) and they did fine but as Verna mentioned, they don't get good reviews in some areas.
  • Options
    rkhammondrkhammond Member Posts: 54
    Does your Jeep have the factory tow package? I installed a Tekonsha P3 on our 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. It was very easy, as it plugged right into a wiring harness ready for such in the footwell/underdash area on the driver's side.  I researched the location of the wiring in a Jeep forum and also desinated my vehicle specifics when ordering the controller so I got the proper plug-in adapter. No complicated splicing necessary!  Your Grand Cherokee may very well have the wiring in place also? And thank goodness for forums! So many great folks sharing all kinds of good information!
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
    2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    As always, the minute a hit 'post' I clearly see all of my spelling mistakes! 
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    rkhammond said:
    Does your Jeep have the factory tow package? I installed a Tekonsha P3 on our 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. It was very easy, as it plugged right into a wiring harness ready for such in the footwell/underdash area on the driver's side.  I researched the location of the wiring in a Jeep forum and also desinated my vehicle specifics when ordering the controller so I got the proper plug-in adapter. No complicated splicing necessary!  Your Grand Cherokee may very well have the wiring in place also? And thank goodness for forums! So many great folks sharing all kinds of good information!
    I will be curious how your Trailhawk holds up to towing. Doesn't it have a low tow capacity?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    New Cherokee with max tow package. 3.2 Pentastar engine. 4500 lb towing capacity. 450 tongue weight.  
  • Options
    It has a 4500lb tow capacity. Has done quite well so far. Although we just picked up our T@b in July, we have used it to tow our boat, utility trailer with atv's, larger/heavier car hauler type flatbed trailer for various jobs quite a bit since we purchased it in Sept. of last year.  In fact it's first test was bringing the boat back from South Dakota to Wyoming, over the Big Horn Mtns...before we had the brake controller installed.  It did fine...but I would not recommend pulling that much weight often, esp. in mountainous terrain without having it. (Come to think of it...the boat trailer doesn't have brakes anyway...but we don't customarily take it over the mountain!)
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
  • Options
    jdargis - Hmmmm - My Jeep dealer gave me those kind of specs but online it seemed everyone was saying that those were way high - I haven't checked for quite some time - as I recall though it was more like 3k/250.
  • Options
    I just read on the Jeep website that the Tailhawk has a towing capacity of 2000 lbs Max unless it has a towing package then it's 4500lbs. 
  • Options
    Yes, there are a variety of trailhawk versions. Some are 4 cyl, some are 6 cyl.  Ours is the 6 cyl with the tow package. It is rated for 4500lbs / 450 tounge capacity. 
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
  • Options
    Can you show me where? When I go to the Jeep towing guide, there are no Trailhawks that are more than 2,000 lbs. I believe you, but need to find out how it is spec'd . http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabilities/towing/#Renegade2Tab*

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn you were on the right site but click on Cherokee not Grand Cherokee. 
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Cat_913 said:
    Jenn you were on the right site but click on Cherokee not Grand Cherokee. 
    Sorry, I was specifically asking about the REnegade Trailhawk. I can't find anything greater than 2,000 lbs.

• Options
    Sort of bugs you, when you have a newer 4 dr Wrangler, 3.6 Pentastar engine, 20 more hp, built on a frame, not unibody and you have 1000 lbs less towing capacity and 100 lbs less tongue weight than the new Cherokee.  But, I still love our Wrangler!
  • Options
    jdargis said:
    Sort of bugs you, when you have a newer 4 dr Wrangler, 3.6 Pentastar engine, 20 more hp, built on a frame, not unibody and you have 1000 lbs less towing capacity and 100 lbs less tongue weight than the new Cherokee.  But, I still love our Wrangler!
    I love mine, too, although I wouldn't mind a little better gas mileage.

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Jenn,

Was curious about your Renegade Trailhawk comment.  It doesn't have the 6 Cyl. option for 4,500 pounds.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    Me too - averaged 14.5 over the winter but only 13.5 so far this summer.
    On weights - My friends who tow a lot of things in their line of work scoff at the high towing capacities and tongue weights thrown around for cars and light trucks. Wouldn't be caught dead trying to pull anything close, consider it dangerous.
  • Options
    Jenn,

Was curious about your Renegade Trailhawk comment.  It doesn't have the 6 Cyl. option for 4,500 pounds.
    I mistakenly misread the original reference by @rkhammond was a Renegade Trailhawk. Therefore, I was surprised he was towing with one because I knew the Renegades have a low tow capacity.

• Options
    PXLated,
    Is that towing?  We average 18-22 mpg unhooked.  11-16 towing, depending on the terrain (mtns) and winds (crossing the plains).  
  • Options
    Yep, towing. When I'm not towing I usually get 18-24. A lot depends on wind with the Wranglers.
  • Options
    I got my trailer hitch and a wired brake controller. Now it's off to the dealership to get the Jeep programmed it will acknowledge the wiring. 
  • Options
    Sorry for the confusion...I should have clarified as 'Cherokee Trailhawk' in my last post.  Maybe one day I will figure out how to add my Tab and vehicle details to my signature like most.  
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
  • Options
    rkhammond said:
    Sorry for the confusion...I should have clarified as 'Cherokee Trailhawk' in my last post.  Maybe one day I will figure out how to add my Tab and vehicle details to my signature like most.  
    No, I skimmed too quickly.

• Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    I'm getting mixed messages about installing a brake controller. In another thread I stated that our '15 Subaru Forester had a hitch and brake controller installed by UHaul. However we discovered the Forester wasn't rated for towing our '15 T@B CS-S. We recently traded our Forester for a '16 Subaru Outback. Last week a different UHaul facility installed a hitch but not the controller. I had an appt for that today. The guys spent 50 minutes and reported to me that they didn't feel they could install it because of the difficulty getting to where they needed to go. I appreciated their honesty and they suggested speaking with Subaru to see if there is an adapter. Subaru said no, they didn't have anything because they didn't want to encourage people pulling more than they should and only recommended a 1 1/2" ball. They referred me to a local utility trailer business. I spoke with them and have an appointment for Monday. Should I, shouldn't I?  I  know the benefits of having it in the event of a sudden stop, etc. I live in Vermont and don't plan doing anything west of the Rockies in the near future. Am also concerned they might screw up my warranties. Any words of wisdom?
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    What year is the T@B?  If new, it needs a brake controller.   I have an old that uses surge brakes and they work without controller.  Depending on your state, they are a requirement and could cause you insurance trouble if it not installed.  I would recommend adding if you need it (newer T@B).

Etrailer shows quite a few and others on this forum have used Tekonsha Prodigy wireless on the Outback.  Do a search on outback and you'll see some discussions about the Surburu Outback.