Shore Power Without Charging?

We will returning to our TAB 400 in January. It is currently parked at our kids house and it might be frozen when we get there. I have lithium batteries without temp protection. The main switch is off and the solar is disabled. 
Am I correct that if I leave the switch off, I can use the electrics without charging the batteries until it gets warmer?
2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
Jeff & Amy
Now in Manistee, MI

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    No, the switch also turns off power to the trailer.  The issue on lithium batteries is they cannot be charged below freezing.  If the solar is "off" (charging can be turned off in the Victron app on the settings page) and the trailer is not plugged in, you can turn on the switch and use battery power.
    And: the odds of your batteries being below freezing inside a warm trailer are...really low.  It is the batteries themselves that must be "below freezing" for low temp charging to be an issue. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    edited December 2022
    Yes, the battery switch being turned off will isolate your batteries from WFCO charging while on shore power but the WFCO will still supply power to your trailers 12V devices. The only thing that bypasses the battery switch is solar, so (as you said you have) be sure to turn off charging in the app (or pull the fuse at the solar controller if you don't trust the tech).

Edit to say that I have a 2020 320S. Your 400 may be different?

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 605
    AnOldUR said:
    Yes, the battery switch being turned off will isolate your batteries from WFCO charging while on shore power but the WFCO will still supply power to your trailers 12V devices. The only thing that bypasses the battery switch is solar, so (as you said you have) be sure to turn off charging in the app (or pull the fuse at the solar controller if you don't trust the tech).

Edit to say that I have a 2020 320S. Your 400 may be different?

This is the correct response.  The 400, at least my 2019, is the same.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    Off topic, but this got me thinking of my inverter install. Connecting it through the cutoff would have required larger wire from the switch to the batteries, so I got lazy any went directly to the battery. It is fused, but there's no cutoff except for the inverters power switch. Should this have a cutoff?
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Inverter’s are normally connected directly to the battery, or have their own battery cutoff switch.  The TaB battery cutoff switch is only 40 amps and the inverter would fry it.  On the TaB400, nüCamp wires the inverter directly to the battery, only thing you can have in series at the battery is the negative side voltage metering shunt, which is rated for the load an inverter would place on it.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.