Curt bluetooth brake controller

Hello, has anyone used the Curt Bluetooth brake controller? What's your opinion of the product? Thanks!

https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller
2022 TAB 400 BD / 2019 Honda Passport / 2023 Land Rover Defender / Cumberland, RI

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,448
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    FWIW, I considered the Curt system but after doing some research, decided to go with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF instead. While some folks have had no problems with the Curt, there were too many reported issues for my taste. There is also the potential of having trouble accessing the Curt in an emergency situation since it uses a smart phone as its interface and control.
    My experience with the Prodigy has been positive; it works well and is easy to use. On the con side, unlike the Curt, the Prodigy requires permanent mounting of the power module on the trailer and some basic wiring to be done. It's also a bit more expensive than the Curt.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 260
    I would pass on the Echo and go with a trailer-mounted RF controller.

Two requirements for my next tow vehicle: an integrated brake controller and a full-sized spare tire.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    We started off with a wired Tekonsha Prodigy P2. It worked flawlessly, but we changed tow vehicles and I decided to go wireless instead of doing the drilling into the dash to hold the inside unit. I considered the Curt, but went with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF for the same exact reasons as @CharlieRN. I also read about the strap that holds the heavy Curt in place on the 7-pin not working great or not feeling reliable.
    The phone issue is the big one here. We use my phone for navigation and for music and for texting. I'm not always the driver. I can't seeing it being the full-time emergency brake controller, too. That, and the Curt hanging onto the 7-pin connector with a plastic strap sealed the deal. Oh, yeah. You go into a restaurant with your phone and you have to remember to do the phone setup every time.
    I had my local dealer install the Prodigy and it's been flawless. By the time I check to see if the hand controller that plugs into the 12-volt outlet is operating properly and ready to go, the system is already connected. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• tphaggertytphaggerty Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2023
    I used one for a while then switched to a wired controller. There is a pretty specific sequence to get the Curt to work correctly.

having said that, I still have mine. I’d be happy to send it to you for keeps if you want it. Just PM me and I’ll ship it out!  (Edit - claimed by a new member with a 320!!, happy camping Brett)
    2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL TV
    2018 T@B 400, 300Ah Renogy LiFePo batteries, 350W Renogy rooftop solar
    Poughquag, NY
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 899
    edited December 2022
    The best solution I have found for the smart phone needed for the Curt Echo is to use and old phone or a $30-40 "locked" phone and never sign it into a provider.  Load the required Curt app through wifi and you'll have a dedicated control/display with no disruption of your usual phone uses.  Works for drone controller and other such app controlled toys also...
    I set mine up with all the T@B related apps (Victron, LP tank, Curt, music for Jensen  BT...) 

https://www.amazon.com/Total-Verizon-View-32GB-Black/dp/B0BBXPDQ7N/ref=pd_ybh_a_sccl_95/138-9240970-7475503?pd_rd_w=S3CzG&content-id=amzn1.sym.67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_p=67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_r=C4PCFEMFHEWQQR2EMA5H&pd_rd_wg=iT2nU&pd_rd_r=3a5e9385-2cd2-45eb-84fa-7e3840c9987e&pd_rd_i=B0BBXPDQ7N&psc=1

• MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    As a EE grump who has designed systems to use the BT and BLE interface, it's great for non-critical applications and for its wide range of control uses. BUT it's temperamental to always work without glitching. RF isn't bad if designed specifically for the control interface.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 899
    edited December 2022
    FWIW - The Curt Echo will continue to operate normal even if the BT connection is lost.  The last stored MAX and Sensitivity settings are used.  The driver losses emergency brake button and other controls until the connection is reestablished.  
    I have only a few hundred miles experience with mine and no previous experience with electric trailer brakes but it seems to work fine.

• dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    Check with your vehicle dealer about the compatibility of a BT controller with the electronics in your vehicle.  Specifically any sensors in the rear or rear bumper.  I had to go with a controller wired into my vehicle because of this issue.

When I plug in my trailer, the vehicle systems respond to compensate for the trailer with suspension system and safety sensor changes.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • GreenLightGoGreenLightGo Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2022
    I used the Echo for about 8,000 miles on trip in the fall of 2021 after my Autowbrake quit working.  Once I got comfortable with it, it worked very well with my 2004 Avalanche.  Particularly during a crazy snowstorm in the mountains of Montana when I was able to adjust the settings to account for road conditions.  After that trip, I bought a new primary TV with a factory trailer brake controller, so I haven't needed to use the Curt again.  But I kept it to use with other TVs.  I'd agree with the recommendation to use a second phone as a dedicated controller, so you can have your phone available for other uses.