Options

Solar Retrofit

Hi All, and happy holidays!
We will be the proud owner of a 2018 320S Boondock next week, and it did not have the solar installed. Some time in the next year, I'd like to retrofit, nuCamp says not recommended, use the foldup panels when you park, but ...
  • I'm certain someone on this forum has done it, love to hear the success/war stories!
  • Not concerned with a manufacturer warranty; that said, I want to take care not to mess with existing charging and inverter/converter circuitry; maybe I should design it completely separately from the existing 12V system, electrically isolated?
  • I have seen folks that have replaced the single 12v lead-acid with 2 6v batteries, is that advisable for more amperage?
  • I've done solar installations in my home, for limited 12v purposes and using a very small (800w) square wave inverter and lead-acid/AGM batteries in parallel, nothing huge, about 400W total solar output
  • Thinking about replacing the existing 12V Lead-Acid battery with LFP, which is something like 3x "energy density" over L-A, has anyone tried that? There is a glut of EV batteries around on the used market, as another option, obviously it would be a *very* bad idea to locate batteries with a capability of catching fire next to the propane tank, so I'm currently thinking a location elsewhere would be preferable. Under the sink?
  • Any tips on fastening a flexible solar panel to a Boondock without doing body damage, or having it blow off on the road? Routing the wires?
Thanks in advance!
Al

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    This thread documents one of the better DIY solar installs I’ve seen, and should help:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8869/my-solar-install-clean-and-simple

Whether or not you need more battery capacity is pretty dependent on where and how you camp. I used to think I *needed* more battery capacity (preferably lithium), until I ran a test last year and discovered I only use 6 to 9 amp hours a day, boondocking with a propane fridge…which is pretty easily recovered in just an hour or two of decent light with my 200 watt portable panel. Turns out my current single 105 ah AGM is plenty for the kind of camping I do.

LFP batteries are NOT as prone to fire as the lithium ion batteries typically found in electric vehicles…I would not use LI batteries in a small trailer, because no matter where you put them, they’d be close to both the propane and your bed.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Welcome to the Forums...and yes, people have installed solar on the roof.  Used lithium batteries.  Used dual/triple/quadruple lithium batteries.  Used dual 6v batteries (some 400 models came with dual 6V batteries).  Used dual 12 volt batteries.  Added a larger AGM battery (100 amp hours) to improve over the "stock" 80 ah battery.  Owners have learned how to add extra batteries that are not "installed" in the trailer, and have added several of the big "batteries in a box" (Goal Zero, Bluetti, Ecopower, etc).  Any and all of those combos of batteries are being used in trailers out there right now. 
    There were rumors in the last year or so of using recycled EV batteries for RV's, but except for YouTubers, I'm not sure that is a practical solution (yet!). 
    Honestly....batteries are getting easier and easier to deal with, since there are so many options.

Installing solar panels on the trailer has been done. A lot.  Nucamp installs panels on newer trailers.  What I see people actually doing, even with installed solar: they carry portable panels. Installed panels are not optimum because: owners want to camp near trees and shade.  You need that portable panel to get out in the sun for you.  Portable panels are very popular in the group, and very easy to deal with.

The important question is: what fridge do you have in your 2018?  Do you have any special needs for the extra power that a larger battery bank would be convenient for?  The propane fridge ("3 way") fridge setups have an advantage in much lower 12V power needs compared to the "2 way" fridges.  More battery amp hours are always a nice thing to have, but a propane fridge can simplify your solar setup.  Your experience with hour home setup will come in quite handy with setting up your trailer.

Here is a search for "Installing flexible solar".  There are several ways to mount the panels, and methods to run with wiring to the battery.  Note the threads that mention "removing panels mounted on the roof". 

Here are a bunch of threads on "dual 6V install."  If you find the search window you can also look around for "lithium install" and there will be many more threads.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    A_boondock_ownerA_boondock_owner Member Posts: 11
    VictoriaP said:
    This thread documents one of the better DIY solar installs I’ve seen, and should help:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8869/my-solar-install-clean-and-simple

Whether or not you need more battery capacity is pretty dependent on where and how you camp. I used to think I *needed* more battery capacity (preferably lithium), until I ran a test last year and discovered I only use 6 to 9 amp hours a day, boondocking with a propane fridge…which is pretty easily recovered in just an hour or two of decent light with my 200 watt portable panel. Turns out my current single 105 ah AGM is plenty for the kind of camping I do.

LFP batteries are NOT as prone to fire as the lithium ion batteries typically found in electric vehicles…I would not use LI batteries in a small trailer, because no matter where you put them, they’d be close to both the propane and your bed.
    Great feedback! We're in the great PNW also, and also had a 2015 Outback 3.6R pulling our 2015 T@b 320S. Never saw an issue with the tongue weight, except for one time when I was using it as a "moving van" (probably overloaded it) and hit some wind issues on I-5 when I thought it was going to weave its way off the hitch! Scary moment! Luckily I was near a rest area, and the rest of the trip was done with some of the weight transferred to the TV, and at speeds of 55 MPH or less. The more I read and think about where you actually park (and store -- seen a number of Facebook Posts lately describing how easily this model can "walk away", one last week was a Seattleite who had their 2022 T@B unhitched and leave from their *driveway*), the more portable sounds like the way to go, maybe a 12V Yeti or propane for the fridge. A 5-year old AGM battery will probably need replacing soon, so we'll focus on that end of the equation. LFP has much better storage and flame-resistance, but I'm concerned about the charging circuitry not being optimal for Lithium.* So I'll read on, and thanks for the VERY helpful feedback, all!

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    @A_boondock_owner I installed this one as it is removable to put in the sun also and mounts on the back top. Art   https://youtu.be/3U2NinKz9CM
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @A_boondock_owner if you are indeed purchasing a 2018 model year t@b, you will have a 3 way (12v, 120v, propane) fridge unless the previous owners replaced it. That was standard in the 2018 320 models so no propane upgrade will be necessary.

I have a 2017 model t@b with it's 3 way fridge and while on propane the fridge sips power. I did upgrade my battery to a group 31 110 ah when the battery finally needed normal replacement. We have boondocked up to a week with that battery and a very small 80 watt portable suitcase placed in a relatively sunny position while in the PNW in summer. It is doable depending on your weather luck. 

Take possession of your new (to you) trailer and assess it's equipment and your camping style. A new larger capacity battery bank and simple portable solar panel may be all you need.

Good luck with this, although I'm pretty sure you don't need luck and have already acquired the life skills. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the recommendations as well as the good wishes! Our 2015 320S did have a 3-way fridge; 2-way has become more or less the norm since then. Between these two T@Bs we owned a 23' fifth wheel with a 2-way (had a freezer) and also sailed the Atlantic/Caribbean on my brother's 40' Cat, which had a wind generator plus two 200W panels powering a 48 V array of 6V SLAs. So right now, trying to decide, guessing I have a 12V 80Ah LA nearing End of Life (and assuming it hasn't been upgraded to a higher-capacity AGM), whether to replace with LFP or AGM, both pretty expensive options. LFPs are lighter and seem to have deeper drain cycles, so if I don't have to touch the charging circuitry, and can live with a "suitcase" solar panel and running the fridge off the propane as much as possible, I think I'll have a rig that can live off shore/TV power a day or two. Brother's sailboat is limited by size of fresh tanks and sleeps 8, so he often has to crank the genny, although his charters are usually a week long and sometimes involve a dock somewhere with shore power.
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    I'm surprised NuCamp didn't recommend retrofitting solar panels. We brought our 2018 T@B 400 to them a couple of years ago, and they did a great job of installing a 190 watt flexible solar panel on the roof. 
  • Options
    Deb55 said:
    I'm surprised NuCamp didn't recommend retrofitting solar panels. We brought our 2018 T@B 400 to them a couple of years ago, and they did a great job of installing a 190 watt flexible solar panel on the roof. 
    Well, perhaps the 320S Boondock has some through-roof challenges and/or wiring block termination issues the 400 doesn't? I can try calling the mfr after Xmas, but really not an option to have the dealer do it, and we're a "country mile" from OH anyway, plus, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool DIY guy and "solar experimenter that still hasn't lit house on fire." So, looking for (in descending order) a job that won't: catch fire, leak, add tongue weight, reduce resale value, or cause excessive electrical drain on (a potential EV) Tow Vehicle. Yes, I'm thinking a F150 Lightning or a Rivian, both of which have their own 120V inverter so no need for one in the T@b.

• Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    @A_boondock_owner, I bought the solar kit (133 watt) without charge controller directly from NuCamp before the clamp down. I wanted a flex panel with full bypass diodes so was willing to pay a premium. It came with good instructions and was not difficult to install for an experienced diy'er, and it was the factory kit for 2019. The wiring goes through the roof under the panel directly in front of the Jenson head unit. VHB tape and primer were provided for a secure and waterproof mounting of the panel. I installed a Victron charge controller in the battery box.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    kottum I've been thinking of trying something similar but in a different location. I have a 2020 Honda Ridgeline (we love it) with factory folding hard tonneau cover. I also have two 120W Bluetti portable folding solar panels. I installed a Victron Solar Controller in my tub and put a covered solar plug on side of the tub. I normally use one for the battery and the other one connected to a Bluetti solar power bank to power an external 12v frig in addition to running my 3 way fridge on propane when boon docking and sometimes use one to top off the battery since I have an older non lithium converter. I would love to figure out a way to attach my folding panels to the tonneau cover and securely when driving and be able to remove them when get to camp site. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods