Options

Heating system

How do I turn on the heating system in a 2021 320 S Boondock?  Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,686
    Welcome to the Forums! 
    Look at the Alde touch screen panel.  The power button is the one on the left side. Press that, and a "standby" screen will appear, most likely.  Press the "Menu" button to get to the controls for heat, etc.

You have an Alde 3020, and you can find the link to the Manual here.

Start on Page 16.  Ask questions, since the Alde can be a bit..intimidating...at first.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    How much time does it take until you feel the heat?  Is there a blower to push the heat out of the vents?  Thank you for your time and patience.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,686
    Please ask questions!  Don't hesitate!
    The Alde can work on propane, which heats the trailer faster.  It can also work on electric power, like when you are plugged in to shore power.
    There is no "blower:"  The heat is "radiant" heat, and once the glycol in the system is warmed up and circulates around the trailer, you will feel the heat coming from the vents near the floor, and from that long vent in the back of the trailer compartment.  So, don't block the vents near the floor, or the long vent along the back of the compartment.  You might lift up one of the benches on the driver's side and see if you can feel any heat.
    So...it can take a bit of time, depending on how cold it is, and what method (electric or propane) you are trying to use.
    There are limits on the electric elements in the Alde, especially if you are on a home power connection.  If you try using the "2KW" setting, it can pop a breaker where you are plugged in.  If you are on a home power setup, try using just the 1kW setting.
    So....what settings are you trying on your Alde?  Electric or Propane?  If you are on shore power, what are you plugged into?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    schwartzkischwartzki Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2023
    First thing on arriving to camp setup in cold weather is to turn on the propane + plug in and turn on the Alde with propane enabled. While that is heating up I plug in a small space heater to take the edge off the cabin until the Alde takes over. Then I go back outside and do all the unpacking/leveling.
    Once you get used to the slow initial ramp you will 100% love the radiant heat over the standard rv furnace. It is always so nice and toasty and nearly silent. Making me want to pull mine out of storage for some snow camping.
    Also once the alde is warm I enable electric on the alde control panel since mine is set to electric as priority but leave propane on if it needs both. This reduces propane use when having full hookup's

2022 T@B 400 Boondock (7200+ miles)
    2022 - 11 trips - 34 nights
    2023 - 4 trips - 21 nights and counting
    --------------------------------------------------
    2018 BMW X5 xDrive35d (17 mpg towing avg)
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (10.9 mpg towing avg)
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 267
    I haven't done any extreme cold weather camping, but love Fall camping in the northern part of lower Michigan.  That being said, many nights have hovered around the freezing mark.  My normal routine is that around an hour before I plan on going inside, I turn on the Alde and set the thermostat to around 70°F.  By the time I'm ready to go to bed, it's nice and warm.  No blower means a little more time to heat up, but you will love the even, comfortable heat and low noise (on propane, you might hear the burner ignite..but the circulation pump is very quiet).

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You can always add a small 12VDC, or better yet a USB powered fan to help circulate the heat.  
    Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    @Basil48192, I put a USB powered fan in my 2015 to help get the heat circulating a bit quicker and it really seems to have helped.  The one I used was also a 3 speed model and was about the size of a typical computer cooling fan, on low speed we can't even hear it running.  My install got a bit complicated but it worked out great.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 267