Options

2023 boondock tires

Please would someone have any info or photos on the tires that are installed  on the 23 400 boondock. I hear they are goodyears ,that would be nice if they are not made in china.
Thanks,
Ed

2021 400 boondock 2016 Taco 4x4 double cab.

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @justdoit70, I took these photos at the factory on October 14, 2022.  As best I can recall, the first two photos are of the were on a 320 S in the front reception area.  The third is on a T@G.  The fourth is the T@B 400.  The tires depicted are "Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT 235/75R15."  I like the look of them.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 128
    So, we can use truck tires on the T@B's, I always understood that tires for a trailer had to specifically for trailers, and not to use automobile tires. What's changed, are these tires designed to be used on trailers also?
    2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    You can use automotive tires on trailers as long as they are strong enough to support the weight and have strong enough sidewalls.  Almost all of the trailers I've had in the past had LT tires in the load range of C to D.  When I replace the tires on our 400 some day if I can't get the tires it came with I'll probably try to find some LT tires for it.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Good to know, thanks for the information.
  • Options
    Kevin_KKevin_K Member Posts: 28
    Yes, please be careful of size and ratings of tires. I would NOT trust these on a 400 BD as the max load rating for the tire is 2039 lbs. The max load for trailer is pushing 3900 lbs. Too close for my taste and for me, would be dangerous. I hope these are display tires and only for show. They may be waiting for the proper tires before going out the door.
    I was interested in the LT vs. ST tire and found this information: https://blog.coach-net.com/2021/03/03/st-vs-lt-tires-whats-the-difference/
    I thought the beginning was funny because I didn’t check to see if we have a post or two on this forum.
    2021 Tab400 boondock, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    Good article, I will stick with S.T. tires.
  • Options
    @justdoit70, @RayJim, and @bergger, just an FYI..........I did not take a closeup of the tire on the 400 model at the factory (parked in the nuCamp service facility.)  Therefore, I do not know if there is anything different about the tires on the 400.  Since I own a 320 S Boondock, I have never had the need to find out if there is any difference in the maximum load rating of the tires when comparing the two trailer models.  I have assumed they are the same size and load rating, but I suppose it would be nice to know for general info, which nuCamp could easily answer, if asked. 

[QUESTION:  The 2039 lb. rating is per tire, so wouldn't that be sufficient for the T@B 400 Boondock?]

(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Kevin_KKevin_K Member Posts: 28
    QUESTION:  The 2039 lb. rating is per tire, so wouldn't that be sufficient for the T@B 400 Boondock?]
    Technically, yes and no. The current tire on my rig is the Rainier Apex ST235/75x15. These are rated at 2340 per tire and are specifically designed for trailers. My knowledge of AT tires simply means All Terrain from back in my off-roading days. That doesn’t instill a lot of confidence in me after recently reviewing the differences in tire types. When it comes time to replace my tires, I’m going to want something that is equivalent.
    2021 Tab400 boondock, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 31
    On my 2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite, I'm currently rolling a set of Nokian Rotiiva AT LT235/75R15 tires.  These E rated LT tires have worked very well for me on long gravel roads, including beyond the Arctic Circle on the Dempster Highway.  The tires also work very well on pavement:
    https://www.tiremart.com/nokian-rotiiva-at-lt-235-75r15-116-113s-e-10-ply-a-t-all-terrain-tire/

I originally searched for ST tires in this size, but options at the time were extremely limited in Western Canada, so I broadened my search to include LT tires.
    I first attempted to purchase a set of Falken Wildpeak E rated LT tires, but they were not available at the time due to supply chain issues:  https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Falken&tireModel=WildPeak+A%2FT3W&partnum=375R5WPAT3W

I run Falken Wildpeaks on my tow vehicle and find them really very good.

There are many informative posts and videos discussing the pros and cons of ST versus LT tires for trailers.
    In general, I wonder if a well made LT tire would be preferable to a less well made ST tire, provided the ratings were similar?  My bias is generally to prefer a tire built in the USA, or perhaps Finland, over a tire built in China.
  • Options
    justdoit70justdoit70 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks so much for everyones input on this question I have a few years left and will wait and see in 4 years.Leaning towards ST’s Camp on!

Ed &Cathy
    2021 T@B 400 solo boondock
    2016 Taco double cab 4x4 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    Bayliss said:
    . . . The tires depicted are "Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT 235/75R15."  I like the look of them.

I'm nearing time to replace my rig's 235/75R15 tires and was very surprised to see 'the factory' is shipping rigs with the Wrangler Trailrunner tire.

The above Wrangler is an ' SL ' load range (standard passenger) tire sidewall.
    My original tires are ' XL ' load range (extra load) tire sidewall.  Everything I've read says trailer tires should have extra strength sidewalls which are the construction method of both ' ST ' and ' XL ' load range tires.  Providing the strength needed without having to use the much stiffer ride Load C or D  6+ ply tires.

Goal/hope is to locate a pair of XL rated Milestar (my original), Westlake, or similar tire in the $110 - $140/ea price range.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    Both the "load range" and "load index" can impact a tires weight carrying ability and toughness.  The new tires NuCamp is using have a load range of SL.  Load range is denoted by a letter or letters.  However they have a load index of 105, denoted by a number.  These tires have the same load index as a Goodyear Endurance trailer tire.   What many think is the best trailer tire.  Therefore the Wrangler can carry the same weight as the Endurance.  Albeit at a lower tire pressure than the Endurance.  This is due to not having the same sidewall reinforcement that the Endurance has.   In on road situations I feel that load index is more important than load range.  The Goodyear Wrangler load range SL can actually carry more weight than the Goodyear Duratrac load range C off road tire.  Just because a tire has a "lower" load range than another tire does not necessarily mean it carries less weight.  Look at the load index of the tire in addition to the load range.  This is why for people who never really venture off road an SL tire, with a higher load index, is often just fine for them.   Just be sure to watch the tire pressure and keep it towards the upper end.  Where I see an XL or load range D or E tire benefiting is for those who do travel off road more.  They will have stiffer and stronger sidewalls than an SL tire which will protect against rocks and other off road obstacles.  And they will help protect against parking lot curb strikes too I suppose.  For my trucks and trailers I always get a tire that has a higher load range and load index since I do often go into rougher areas.  But for the majority that travel on road to established campgrounds with the occasional forest service road for boondocking, an SL rated tire with a proper load index is going to be ok in my opinion.  I'm sure this is how the vast majority of NuCamp's customers use their trailers so it allows them to put a good tire on the trailers and save money in the process.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    It's been a while since the current tires being installed by nuCamp (on the Boondock models - - the Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT 235/75R15) have presumably been in use by recent new-owner purchasers of those trailers, at least since October 2022.

Does anyone have any input on how those tires seem to be performing?  Also, since it was questioned earlier, is nuCamp installing the TrailRunner on the newer T@B 400 Boondock models?

(I am planning on replacing my Apex Ranier tires in the near future, but only because of their age.  They have held up very well after 36,000 miles and look great with quite a bit of tread remaining.  I pretty much have resolved that I will go with the Goodyear Endurance ST 225/75R15 tires (with the Load Range "E" (10-ply) and Load Index "117" (2830 lbs, per tire.)  I have been happy with the Apex tires, but they can't be obtained as easily as a Goodyear tire.  However, I don't like the Goodyear TrailRunner, because it has the standard 4-plies with a 2039 lbs load maximum per tire.  I prefer the Endurance's 225 aspect ratio over the 205.  I realize that a 10-ply tire may be overkill for a 320 S Boondock, but, I do tend to spend a lot of time off-road, so I think it will be a good fit for my personal use.)  

• Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 106
    @Bayliss We took deliver in mid March straight from the factory. We have the Goodyear Trailrunners on our 400 Boondock. We are about 1000miles (4 days) into a month long trip, so no long term data to share. We'll let you know if we have any issues.
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • Options
    Thank you, @RTWCTS.

• Options
    DaveAnnaDaveAnna Member Posts: 41
    Go with LT tires rated for the load. They will handle high temps and higher speed.  ST tires may claim stiffer sidewalls, but I’ll bet your TV front tires see more sidewall stress than your trailer ever will (when you turn)
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Bayliss said:
    It's been a while since the current tires being installed by nuCamp (on the Boondock models - - the Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT 235/75R15) have presumably been in use by recent new-owner purchasers of those trailers, at least since October 2022.

Does anyone have any input on how those tires seem to be performing?  Also, since it was questioned earlier, is nuCamp installing the TrailRunner on the newer T@B 400 Boondock models?

(I am planning on replacing my Apex Ranier tires in the near future, but only because of their age.  They have held up very well after 36,000 miles and look great with quite a bit of tread remaining.  I pretty much have resolved that I will go with the Goodyear Endurance ST 225/75R15 tires (with the Load Range "E" (10-ply) and Load Index "117" (2830 lbs, per tire.)  I have been happy with the Apex tires, but they can't be obtained as easily as a Goodyear tire.  However, I don't like the Goodyear TrailRunner, because it has the standard 4-plies with a 2039 lbs load maximum per tire.  I prefer the Endurance's 225 aspect ratio over the 205.  I realize that a 10-ply tire may be overkill for a 320 S Boondock, but, I do tend to spend a lot of time off-road, so I think it will be a good fit for my personal use.)  
    @Bayliss
    I'm at the same point as you in regards to replacing my original Ranier Apex tires. I really like the Raniers...they've been great and have over 40K miles on them and look practically new still. But their availability is extremely limited which is a downside.
    So I'm trying to decide between going with what nuCamp is now using (Trailrunner AT) or an Endurance and am leaning towards the Trailrunner mostly because I like the look of it better, and partly because if nuCamp is installing them, I feel they must be okay for the application.
    I was curious if you've made a purchase and if so, what did you get (and are you happy with them)? 
    I was also wondering if a Load E tire might not be too much tire for a T@B - as in too stiff?
    Thanks,
    Chris
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Hi, @ChrisFix.  Sorry for the delayed reply.  I am way behind with my "forum" reading.

I decided to go with the Goodyear Endurance ST 225/75R15 tires.  I purchased them through Wal Mart because they had a better price ($124.00) than Goodyear would sell them to me, either online or at my local dealer.  The ordering process was very easy and I received tires that were manufactured in June 2023, so that was great!  I suppose the only downside is that the tread depth (8/32nds) is less than the Rainier tire, but if they wear better, that will not be an issue.  I have included a photo of the tread appearance for comparison.  Sorry for the sticker, but I failed to take a photo without it.

I had them mounted on the wheels on July 4th, so I have included a photo.  I will be leaving on a three month trip with them next week, so that will be the first test (about 8,000 miles.)  Although the Load "E" range does seem like overkill for a small trailer, I have the same load range (made by Michelin) on my Toyota Tundra and they have been great tires.  Initially, I have set the PSI at 50 (the max for the Endurance is 80 PSI, but I will never need it that high.)  Using Goodyear's chart, I could set the PSI much lower, but I will wait and see how the tires look with the truck and trailer loaded and ready to go before I make any adjustments.

I like the idea of having a tire with more plies, plus the Endurance includes Goodyear's proprietary "Durawall" technology and a nice inner liner, which appears pretty substantial (see second photo.)  The sidewall is rugged, so it is supposed to better resist cuts, tears and punctures, which should greatly help avoid getting a flat.....a big plus.  Ultimately, the fact that the Endurance tires have a good reputation and are made in the U.S.A. were the primary factors for going that route.  I think they look good on my trailer and the slightly smaller size doesn't appear to make much of a difference in appearance or trailer height.  Also, they will be easier to remove and reinstall in the future. 

I too liked the Rainier Apex and never had any issues with it, other than some loss of air pressure, but I resolved that with steel valve stems.  I still had quite a bit of tread on the tires after nearly 40,000 miles, but they were five years old (manufactured in 2018), so time to change them out.  I decided against the Trailrunner AT tires currently being used by nuCamp, because I prefer to stick with an "ST" tire rather than an "LT."  I figure that with the 50 PSI (or possibly lower), the ride will not be rough.  It was fine driving the 15 miles from the Goodyear shop to where I store my trailer, but the true test will be during my upcoming trip.

I hope this info helps.

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    @Bayliss That’s a great price on GY Endurance. Cheapest I could find was $165. My original Rainer Apex tires started cracking and they gave me $274 under a warranty claim. 

I ended up getting the Hankook Vantra trailer tires which were designed to be a direct competitor to the Endurance. They’re fairly new to the market. Specs are nearly identical to the Endurance. Just got back from a 1800 mile trip to Oregon and they seem fine. I was worried about the E load rating but the trailer didn’t seem to bounce at all.

What I really like is the sidewall doesn’t flex at all. At 50psi the Rainier Apex had some “squish” when parked which I think contributed to the premature cracking. These Hankooks have virtually not “squish” at the bottom of the tire which is probably due to the stiff sidewall.

I was tempted to go with the Trailrunners but I didn’t like that they had such a low load index rating. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @Bayliss
    Thanks for all that info...And good luck on your 3 month adventure! After posting that question, I did lots of research and have come to the same conclusion as you, which is to stick with an ST tire. I'm leaning towards the same Endurance as you're using, or maybe the similar Hankook Vantra. When I discovered the Goodyear Tire Pressure vs. weight chart, the light bulb went off for me. Basically, if you want 2,150lbs of support, you need 50PSI...regardless if the tire is maxed out at this point (like our Load C Raniers) or have lots of headroom, like the Load E Endurance.

We just finished a 6,000 mile 5 week trip and upon a more careful inspection of my Apex Ranier's when I got home, the inside tread on both tires is significantly worn, while the middle to outside still look great - making me think my Dexter axle has experienced the negative camber sag that others (this forum and other brand trailers) have experienced. So I need to get that sorted before putting new tires on.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @Bayliss,
    after reading your thought process I decided to get the Goodyear Endurance tires for my 2018 320S Outback (Boondock).  My only question at this point is, those tires have a recommended inflation of 80 PSI.  I mentioned to the tire folks that the placard on my trailer says 50 PSI.  They said the Endurance required 80 PSI and running at a lower PSI would potentially damage the tires.  I was concerned the trailer might be too "bouncy" on the road, but it seems ok.  Eager to hear your thoughts after your road trip.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    If a tire is rated at 2039 lbs, that is the load per tire.  The TaB400 Boondock has a 4,000 lbs rusted axle, but the trailer’s max load rating is less.  So a,pair of 2039 lbs load rated tires will support 4,398 lbs, more than enough for a TaB, which shouldn’t be loaded to max anyway.  We run our TaB400 a less than 3,400 lbs loaded, which has the new 4,000 lbs rated Boondock axle on it.
    cheers.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    They don’t have to be inflated to the max PSI but then you’ll have to haul less weight. The PSI is directly correlated to how many pounds the tire can carry. There are charts online but it’s best to see if the manufacturer has one available. 

I run ours at 80psi and thought things would get bouncy but I don’t notice any difference vs. 50psi.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road