Options

2022 T@B 400 Boondock axle relubing

So the manual recommends relubing the axle either every 10-12k miles OR annually, which ever comes first.  Last year we put maybe 1500-1700 miles on the camper before we had to put it to bed for the winter.

If we skip on a relube this year, and tackle it in the fall when we put the camper away for the winter again, is that a bad thing?  Or, seeing as it's the "EZ-lube" axle, just buckle down and do it come spring?  Because, yes, a grease gun and the Valvoline red grease isn't much more than $25...
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    There are a lot of opinions regarding when or if to use the EZ lube.  Although the manufacturer promotes it as the way to go, there are concerns about the process being incomplete.  Risks of blowing a seal leading to leaking lube onto the brake drums, inability to inspect the bearings, etc.  I had someone tell me that after using the EZ lube, they then did a traditional repack and they found metal shavings in the old lube.  

Having said that, we were in your position as new owners.  We waited until the following spring and used the EZ lube then and again in the fall.  We had a full bearing repack at the 2 year mark with limited mileage.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    I *AM* going to be calling a trailer service place not far from the house this week, to see if they'll throw me an estimate on either a relube or a repack, and if it's not too horrible, get on their schedule.

They indicate on their site, they do handle RVs as well as their bread-and-butter of semi trailers and work trailers...
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    That is what we do, we have our local trailer service center relic our axle wheel bearings and inspect the brakes when it comes time to do the maintenance.  Since our TaB is only lightly used, no long trips, we do this maintenance every two years, since we are towing less than 1,000 miles a year.  Most of our favorite camping locations is close by, with one or two annual longer trips. Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I’ve been doing annual lubes because it forces me to check my brakes out as well. I think the ez lube process is fine but I like to tear down the bearings and make sure everything is in good order. We don’t put that many miles on our trailer but it’s just more for peace of mind. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    I've seen lots of opinions here and this is what I'm planning to do for ours.
    Starting this coming spring, I will do the EZ lube method every 2 years, so 2023, 2025, 2027, ...
    Every other year, I will do a complete break inspection, and manual repack, so 2024, 2026, 2028, ...
    I believe the EZ lube method is fine as long as you rotate the tire as you push the grease in manually with low pressure.
    Regular brake inspection is a must to not only check the brakes but also inspect all the components, including seals.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 346
    The EZ system works. Hand packing the bearings works. It's a good idea to at least annually see what the brakes are doing. That requires disassembling the hub. The EZ system doesn't get you out of hub rebuilds.

The EZ system works fine with three considerations. First, the grease that comes with the grease gun is not wheel bearing grease. Make sure you get grease heat and pressure rated for wheel bearings. Second, rotate the wheel as you add grease. This will reduce the likelihood of pushing grease past the inner seal into the brakes. Third, only do the EZ system twice before cleaning all the used grease out of the hub. You could disassemble and wipe it all out or you can pump most of a tube through the hub until it comes out clean.

Personal preference, I hand pack the bearings with wheel bearing grease. I've packed auto bearings by hand for many years. I think its faster, There is less mess to clean up when you disassemble the hub, it uses significantly less grease and you get to use better grease.

Both systems work when done properly.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Our our trailer service center has a neat machine, that packs the grease into the bearings very evenly and with a few strokes od it’s pump handle.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    To add to this, before I go shopping I want to confirm the grease to get, based on one of the uCamp videos I believe it's this: https://www.valvoline.com/en/multi-purpose-grease/

Can someone confirm this?
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    That's the one I use
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Jay_and_KatnuCamp uses Valvoline GM Multipurpose to grease the bearings.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Without overcomplicating, you may use any Lithium based NLGI GC-LB Grade two equivalent. The recommended Valvoline grease is one that is useable with a grease gun (grade 2 relates to thickness) and meets the basic high temperature and load requirements.
    There are other better and more suitable options. Valvoline offers a synthetic alternative as do many other brands.
    The key to making a change is to make sure that you do not mix grease types that are made with incompatible carriers, the binders (soaps) that thicken the otherwise liquid oils to form grease. As long as you select a grease that uses lithium binders, you are good to go.
    If your 400 has not been previously serviced and if you plan to use the EZ-Lube, you should use the same grease as was used at the factory. Later, when you do the full brake and wheel service, you could use that as an opportunity to clean out the old grease and upgrade to one of the better-quality synthetic alternatives.