Options

Spare Tire Under Mounted on 2022 320S

My matching spare tire came from dealer mounted under the front of the trailer - I’ve attached a picture. It is mounted at an angle. I’m climbing under it tomorrow to investigate, but has anyone been able to make it fit flat to provide more clearance? Does anyone have any issues with the under mount? 

Appreciate the expertise this group has. 

How can we participate in new questions - how do we know if a new question has been asked - do we have to randomly look at each category?

Comments

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 372
    edited February 2023
    Hi,  

That is not correctly stowed.There is a recess area under the trailer that the spare tire will fit.  That is where mine is.   There is a cable that goes through the tire and is cranked up into the recessed area.  Access to the crank is inside the front tub.  There is a small hole cut, in the bottom of the tub, that you place the crank for the stablizer.  You need to check   if that spare tire is a full size (15") boondock  tire.  That is an add on option (at least in 2021) as opposed to a slightly smaller (14") spare.  I don't believe the boondock full size tire will fit into the recess area.  Those spare tires  are mounted in front of the front tub on the platform.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492

How can we participate in new questions - how do we know if a new question has been asked - do we have to randomly look at each category?
    When you are logged into the site on a computer or tablet, and looking at the Home page (there’s a link to Home on the upper left of the screen, just below the nuCamp logo), threads from all categories are shown. New threads and threads with comments that you haven’t previously viewed will be in a bolder font of a different color, and threads are listed in the order of most recent activity. On a mobile device, there’s no color or font change, but there’s a “New” label below the thread title.

If you aren’t logged in, there’s no way to tell what you’ve seen or haven’t.

I almost never go into the individual categories. Either I’m reading what’s on the front Home page, or I’m using the search function (upper right, or via Google). I bookmarked the Home page when I first started on the forum, and I never sign out, though the system boots me and everyone else once in a while. Which I generally notice when I realize nothing is marked as new! 😆
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Playa_Bonita_30APlaya_Bonita_30A Member Posts: 22
    @Yoshi_TAB - I have a full size Boondock. You’re right there isn’t enough space for the full-size tire to fit. I tightened it up. Doesn’t appear to be going anywhere. If I move it to the top it will increase the tongue weight. I may look into the smaller spare
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 372
    Hi, 

I see you have a 2022?  Did you buy new?  I would contact NuCamp (their website has emails for support) to see if it should have been delivered that way.  They are pretty responsive.  Seems like it should not have been.  Re Tongue weight; I'm not sure if the spare (if mounted on the platform) is included in the number provided from NuCamp.  I would think it would not be..but I'm not sure.  Before you leave on a trip and you are "loaded up" , its alway a good idea to do a at home tongue weight calculation every so often.  You can buy a cheap scale and do it yourself.  I use this method  How To Find Trailer Tongue Weight (DIY bathroom scale) #rvlife - Bing video...best wishes
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    I read an article a while back on this site that mentioned that the boondock rims/tires are too big to fit flat under the trailer. That mount was designed for the non-boondock rim/tire it seems.

I wouldn't worry about increasing the tongue weight by moving it on top in front of the tub. It wouldn't change the weight significantly in my opinion.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    Yoshi_TAB said:
    Hi,  

That is not correctly stowed.There is a recess area under the trailer that the spare tire will fit. That is where mine is. There is a cable that goes through the tire and is cranked up into the recessed area. Access to the crank is inside the front tub. There is a small hole cut, in the bottom of the tub, that you place the crank for the stablizer. You need to check if that spare tire is a full size (15") boondock tire. That is an add on option (at least in 2021) as opposed to a slightly smaller (14") spare. I don't believe the boondock full size tire will fit into the recess area. Those spare tires are mounted in front of the front tub on the platform.

Only the 14" Tire will fit under there. I believe there is a bracket you can get to mount the spare to the front tub 

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 208
    alternatively the manufacturers' tire support may not be manufactured correctly, a chronic problem for several years.  
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/15120/fixing-spare-tire-cable-hanger-tip

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck