Options

Camper slides when unhitching - what am I doing wrong?

jgpell14jgpell14 Member Posts: 21
Hello,

I sometimes have a problem when I unhitch whereby the trailer slides. It goes like this...

- I get to my site and level from side to side using Anderson levelers.
- I chock the other wheel.
- I unlock the tongue hitch and raise the trailer off my vehicle ball. 
- When the hitch comes off the ball the tongue slides either left or right anywhere from 6-12"

It's scary and dangerous and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on what I should change?

Thanks!
John
2022 TAB 400 BD / 2019 Honda Passport / 2023 Land Rover Defender / Cumberland, RI

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Are you on gravel, sand, uneven ground?  Is there something under the jack post or are you using the wheel?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    "I chock the other wheel."
    You have to chock both sides of the other wheel and make sure the Anderson side is chocked tightly. Using a rubber mallet helps.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    Yes as @SLJ said, chock both sides.  If you only chock on side the trailer may pivot depending on the terrain.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    I had similar issues and made some small changes that helped.
    1. I now only pull the trailer forward onto the leveller (not backup onto it).  This helped because the trailer doesn’t slide back suddenly when releasing from the ball.
    2. I really pound the smaller piece of the leveller in before releasing the trailer.  I use a rock or other implement (rubber mallet is a great idea) to make sure it is in there.
    3. Chock both sides of the opposite (non-levelled) tire.  Again pound those chocks in with said implement.

These steps made a big difference for me and I no longer wonder if the trailer is going to roll away when it releases from the ball.  Good luck!
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 272
    After I have leveled and chocked the trailer and before I start cranking the trailer tongue off the hitch ball, I look down to make sure the ball is centered under the tongue. Sometimes it is too far back and sometimes it is too far forward. In either case the tongue will hang up and create a big jerk when it finally breaks loose from the hitch ball. If the tongue does start to hang up, I lower it back down, get in the tow vehicle and move the vehicle forward or backward to re-center the ball, then try again.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    edited February 2023
    Good advice above.  To add to it, I always try to back the trailer straight into it's site (rather than at an angle) even if it means some back and forth to alleviate the angle as much as I can.  Overshoot the position, then pull forward a foot or two to remove any side pressures on the ball connection.  If no side or fore-aft pressure, the coupler should smoothly lift off the ball as you crank it up.  

Personally I would ditch those Andersen style levelers in favor of old-fashioned two foot long 2x10 boards (with a 45 degree slope cut on the ends) under the low-side wheel, then chock both sides. Easier to use, less chance of binding the hitch connection, and if you forget and drive away without them you haven't lost much money.
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 272
    Straightening out the tow vehicle and trailer as much as possible is a great idea.

To finish up about centering the ball under the tongue: I often find that putting the tow vehicle in neutral and taking my foot off the brake pedal briefly does the job.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    The red Anderson levelers can be slippery.  I applied strips of fabric medical tape lengthwise on the faces of the levelers.  This adds some friction to reduce the wedges from slipping.  There's probably a better solution using rubberized strips, but I found a roll of the medical tape at a campsite and hacked this solution during a cross-country trip.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    jgpell14jgpell14 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks to everyone for your comments. This was a huge help!
    2022 TAB 400 BD / 2019 Honda Passport / 2023 Land Rover Defender / Cumberland, RI
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    @Slackers, my Anderson leveler kit came with a large rubber pad to put between the wedges to prevent slipping.  Contact Anderson, and see if you can get one or two.  The pads to prevent slipping, and I have never had our TaB slip,sideways when unhitching.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Thanks @Denny16.  We have an old cheapo rubber door mat that can be repurposed for this. Like you I haven't had the Tab slip sideways. 
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH