Options

Sanitation of TAB 400 2022, how do you keep from getting the Clorox solution into the Alde boiler

When putting the Clorox solution into the fresh water tank to sanitize it and also run through the cold/hot lines, how do you keep it (Clorox) out of the boiler and the small water tank next to the boiler. I watched nuCamp video and others videos but I haven’t found so far an explication how to keep Clorox out of the boiler with the Nautilus P3.  Thanks

Comments

• Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 139
    I have a 2021 T@b 400 with the P3 Nautilus, and I place the settings to "sanitize" mode before using a short hose and water pump to suck the bleach solution into the water tank.  This mode bypasses the Alde system.  Then I switch over to "powerfill" to fill my fresh water tank, followed by using "dry camping " mode to run water thru each faucet and plumbing line.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 276
    To sanitize your hot and cold water lines but avoid the Alde boiler, I believe you could set the Nautilus P3 configuration to “Winterize” and siphon in a bleach/water solution.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2023
    No, use the “Sanitize” mode to bypass the Alde, which is the center red knob valve.  The Sanitize mode also adds the bleach solution to the water tank. The “Winterize” mode doesn’t move the bypass valve, but I believe the Winterize valve positions only allows the RV Glycol fluid to go into the water lines, and bypasses the water tanks, through a different valve configuration.  The Alde hot water and fresh water tanks are bypassed in the Winterize mode.  Follow the Nautilus instructions, and you can’t go wrong.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sounds like both the Sanitize and the Winterize modes bypass the Alde boiler, just in a different way. If you use the Winterize mode it seems you avoid or bypass both the fresh water tank and the Alde boiler. I would use the P3 mode that best suits your purpose and not follow the Nautilus instructions slavishly.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,525
    See the last post in this link.  Although specific to tge 320, it applies to the 400 as well.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8904/dewinterizing-and-sanitizing#latest
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TaboyTaboy Member Posts: 13
    Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate yours comments.  I printed the instructions suggest by Sharon and now I understand the right way to do it. 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2023
    Binghi said:
    Sounds like both the Sanitize and the Winterize modes bypass the Alde boiler, just in a different way. If you use the Winterize mode it seems you avoid or bypass both the fresh water tank and the Alde boiler. I would use the P3 mode that best suits your purpose and not follow the Nautilus instructions slavishly.
    Correct.  They do both skip the Alde in different ways.  Winterize skips it by having the pumped in fluid go directly into the cold water lines and it does not enter the Alde because the red lever is horizontal.  With the red lever horizontal fluid will bypass the Alde but still fill the hot water lines.  That is why in Winterize mode you can fill the hot and cold lines with antifreeze but it stays out of the Alde.  

Sanitize also skips the Alde even with the red lever vertical.  It does this because the fluid that is pumped in is dumped directly into the fresh water tank and only into the fresh water tank.  It does not enter hot or cold water lines at all.  Sanitize mode only sanitizes the fresh water tank.  In order to sanitize the hot and cold water lines you need to take an additional step.  

Set the trailer to Dry Camp mode and pump fluid into your lines.  In normal Dry Camp mode fluid will be pumped from the fresh water tank into your hot and cold lines.  This also means fluid will go into the Alde prior to entering the hot water lines.  It enters the Alde because in normal Dry Camp mode the red lever is vertical.  I do not see an issue with this as I think its okay to sanitize your hot water heater.  Let it sit for a while to sanitize then do a few full fresh water rinses to clear out the lines and the Alde hot water heater.  Sanitizing a hot water heater is normal practice.  There are varying opinions on this but with the small amount of bleach being used and the short duration of the solution sitting in the tank, 3-6 hours, I don't see it causing any pitting or issues with the stainless steel Alde tank.  Heck the NuCamp even tells you to do it in their manual.  Just make sure the hot water tank is turned off when doing this. 

However if you just don't want to sanitize the hot water heater then set the Nautilus to Dry Camp Mode like above, but turn the red lever horizontal.  When you pump water out of the tank it fill you cold lines and will bypass the Alde and go directly into the hot water lines as well.  It does this because the red lever is horizontal. 

I really like the Nautilus system but it can be confusing if you put too much thought into it.  Each Spring I usually re-educate myself prior to de-winterizing since it is easy to forget things after a long 6 month winter!

2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    So it seems when the P3 blue lever is vertical the fluid flow is directed straight into the fresh water tank. If in Sanitize mode the flow to the tank is powered by and runs through the trailer’s pump; if in Powerfill mode the flow is powered by city water pressure (and bypasses the trailer’s pump?). In either case it would seem that the Alde boiler is bypassed and it doesn’t matter whether the red lever is vertical or horizontal. Unless I’m missing something…

Who needs crossword puzzles or Sudoku when you have the Nautilus system for your mental gymnastics?
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,027
    Correct in those modes the red lever(Alde bypass) is irrelevant. Both Sanitize mode and Powerfill mode bypass the Alde because the fluid is directed into the fresh water tank.  It never gets near the Alde.  The red lever comes into play when fluid is directed into the hot and cold water lines.  

The white lever directs water that enters the trailer from the city water hose connection, the one with the white cover on it.  It either sends water to the 12v pump or to the blue lever/diverter. 

The blue lever controls if water goes directly to the cold fixtures or to or from the water tank.

The green lever also controls if water will come from the water tank.  It is only used in dry mode.  All other modes it is closed off, horizontal, since the blue valve controls that function in the other modes.

The red lever is only an Alde bypass.  It allows fluid to enter or not to enter the Alde.  That is that levers only function so that is why it is often referred to as the bypass lever.  Yes there are other ways to bypass the Alde, by only allowing water to go into the fresh tank.  But if you pump water into the cold/hot lines it will enter the Alde unless the red lever is horizontal.

The manual explains the function of each lever.  It can be a bit confusing until you really go through it and look at the photographs.  Easiest thing to do is to just follow the diagrams on the Nautilus.  They are correct and if you follow them you will do no harm to your trailer.  I think the confusion comes from people who want to sanitize their trailers but want to bypass the Alde.  They see the red lever vertical in that mode so think fluid will enter the Alde.  Just remember Sanitize only sanitizes the fresh water tank.  The fluid goes no other place until you take the next step by using dry camping mode.   That is where placing the red lever in the horizontal position after going into dry mode comes into play.  It will then bypass the Alde if you decide not to sanitize the Alde tank.  The NuCamp instructions do not account for this as they recommend you sanitize the Alde tank.  

Clear as mud...
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Before the Nautilus unit was installed, the bypass valve was a large red lever, labeled Alde ByPass, so the name stuck.  If you want to keep bleach or antifreeze from getting into the Alde hot water tank, set the red lever accordingly to bypass the Alde.  Then you are covered regardless of which approach you user or get the bleach solution or antifreeze into your plumbing system.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
     Far from muddy - that actually is the best explanation of the Nautilus that I have yet to see. Thank you for that, #bergger!