Options

Propane tank gauge

SidhalemmSidhalemm Member Posts: 13
Can anyone recommend a propane tank gauge?  I want to install one so I know how much fuel I have before I head out on a trip. Thanks

Bill
2015 T@B  Yellow Q-Plan

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Walmart or Camping World has one that screws into the tank and the hose screws into the gauge. It's not precise, but it does well enough for you to know when you're getting low.  If you need a picture , do a search on gauge, maybe propane gauge. I think PXLated posted a picture of his gauge. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I use the gauge that Verna is talking about, not great, but it does work. I have it on my 4.25lb. tank. There is also a strip type that sticks to the side of the tank and changes color depending on the surface temp of the tank. It will be different where the gas is and isn't. Haven't used one but they are out there.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    You can trade in your empty regular tank to u haul and they will replace it with a tank with a gauge for $20.
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    I bought from Amazon for $20 Camco 59023 Propane Gauge/Leak Detector
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    SidhalemmSidhalemm Member Posts: 13
    Thanks to everybody for their reply

bill
    2015 T@B  Yellow Q-Plan
  • Options
    Kevin@7Kevin@7 Member Posts: 66
    The weight sensors are the most accurate way to gauge.  I like this one that connects to your smartphone so you know exactly where you are.

http://store.tvlintl.com/index.php/gaswatchtm/smart-gaswatchtm-bluetooth-enabled-tank-scale-model-tvl-218.html

Maybe a bit of overkill for the casual user but could be useful if you do a lot of boon docking and want to know when you need to conserve.  Not too bad a price but then again all it's really doing is keeping tabs on the weight.
    2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk
    2018 T@B 400 (white w/ red trim)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2015
    Wonder if tha scale would fit in the T@B propane frame and if it did wether it would raise the tank too high.
    Looks slick and not that expensive - not much more than a pressure gauge.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    They don't show it on a trailer.  I wonder how the scale plate will hold up to road bumps and vibrations.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I wondered the same thing PXLated...looks like 3-4 inches high?
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Also, for scale to read properly, you wouldn't be able to tighten the tank down, otherwise it would show full all the time. Just like pushing down on a scale with your hand
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Forgot about that very important detail.  Guess it would't work out so well unless you did some major reconfigure of the supports and even then road bumps might damage it pretty good.  Guess it'll just have to be a device for the home grill.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Related question: can you fill a partially empty propane tank? Say you use half a tank on a trip, but want to make sure you head out for the next trip with a full tank.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Related question: can you fill a partially empty propane tank? Say you use half a tank on a trip, but want to make sure you head out for the next trip with a full tank.
    Yes, you can.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I'll somewhat disagree here - Finding refill stations totally depends on where you are/travel - I've had to do the exchange tanks thing far more than I've been able to find a refill station. In the heavily traveled tourist areas, refills everywhere. Off those routes, not. I never used to shop Walmart but it's become the one consistent thing in my travels, including propane availability.
  • Options
    Thanks, we typically camp in the Adirondacks with the nearest refill station sometimes hours away. 
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    edited August 2015
    I Threw one of these in my miscellaneous box to allow use of the small single use canisters in emergencies: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/propane-steak-saver-adapter/24028

Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    gilbutler said:
    I Threw one of these in my miscellaneous box to allow use of the small single use canisters in emergencies: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/propane-steak-saver-adapter/24028

Awesome. Need one of those for the backyard grill too!
  • Options
    With full-on propane use - in cold weather - the Alde running, the fridge on propane, a tank lasts me 10-14 days. With just the fridge, 20-25 days.
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    PXLated said:
    With full-on propane use - in cold weather - the Alde running, the fridge on propane, a tank lasts me 10-14 days. With just the fridge, 20-25 days.
    Hi PXL - That's fantastic.  Thanks for the numbers.  It makes me sleep better when I'm out of nowhere.
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    Sandra - It isn't just boondocking, most national campgrounds don't have hookups either so it's propane for heat and fridge.
  • Options
    Sandra said:
    ...Since I have no Alde heating system or hot water heater and don't run the 3-way on propane ...
    Talk about roughing it :)  When I use those small propane tanks for cooking on my portable Coleman they seem to last forever.  I can't imagine how long a 20lb tank would last if you only use the cook top.

Great idea for the backup.  I wonder if those small tanks would fit inside the PVC tube inside the battery/propane housing....of course making sure the bottom is closed off.  10-14 days of security is pretty good so unlikely I would ever need backup.
  • Options
    I should add - I did have one anomaly where the tank only lasted 7-days... Don't know why, wasn't paying attention, maybe colder so the Alde ran more. I carry a spare tank so not a big deal.
  • Options
    We always take a few of those cylinders camping since we have a propane stove, lantern, and portable grill, and will continue using those after we get our T@B. I did not know that the steak saver adapters even existed. I have one on order as I type this because the backyard grill has run out of fuel several times mid-cookout. (BTW Amazon has the same thing cheaper than Camping World with free Prime shipping.)
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We bought a weight scale "thingy" to try to check our propane levels.  I saw this article for grilling out on this subject.  Not sure I'd do this, but it is an interesting tidbit...

To check your propane, simply boil a pot of water, and bring it out to your tank.  Pour the water all around your tank, letting it drip down the sides and touch all the surfaces.

Then, use your hand and feel around the tank.  If an area of the tank is hot, that means it has been warmed up by the water and there is nothing to cool it down, meaning there is no propane in that level of the tank.

If the tank is relatively cool at a particular level, that means there is a liquid absorbing the heat from the boiled water, meaning there is propane at that level in the tank.    

Hmmmm...

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    TerryV6, Yes it works. Doesn't even have to be boiling water, just hot. On another note, the propane "steak saver" valve that gilbutler mentioned above can also be used for re-filling the small propane tanks with the larger tank. I found the info on youtube when I was browsing for a way to re-fill them because I got tired of buying them all the time. I realized that on the top was a release valve and that could be used to re-fill. I bought my valve @ Walmart, and have not purchased any small tanks since, just save the old ones, and re-fill them.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I have two of those portable tank gauges. One is so far off all it's good for is being a cheap extention hose from the regulator. The other one at home is exactly accurate, as far as I can tell. 

But, when I needed a spare tank, I just couldn't resist one of the new tanks from Camping World with an attached gauge. It is accurate, but just like your car/truck fuel gauge--it goes to half really quickly and stays on the lower range forever. I decided to go ahead and get another tank with the attached gauge.

So, I now have a spare 10 lb and a 20 lb at home for the grill. Good for emergencies to use with a propane Heater (yes, there are safety considerations to be followed--sure could have used it in 2014 with -40F wind chills and no electricity for two days. Would have been nice to have had the T@B and Alde then!). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    My Jeep gas gauge is the opposite - First half lasts forever, second half goes faster.
    I have a propane gauge and about the only thing it's good for is if it hits yellow, change tanks. Up till that point I have no idea how much I have left. But I have the spare 20 lbr so not a biggy.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    The pressure gauge on a propane tank will move up and down as the ambient temperature changes.  It is measuring the vapor pressure above the liquid in the tank.  This vapor pressure will stay in the green range as long as there is some liquid propane in tank.  As soon as the liquid has all vaporized the indicated pressure will fall quickly into the red as the last breaths of propane vapor are consumed.  These gauges are not capable of or intended to indicate fuel level - just some (green) or none (red).

The level indicators you attach to the side of the tank use the temperature difference of the tank surface above and below the liquid to display the current level.  Warm water poured over the area helps exaggerate the difference.

Many larger RV parks, suppliers like Tractor Supply Company or commercial propane services can refill your tanks and only charge for the amount delivered - just like at the gas station. 

Having a spare tank of some size is the best way to assure  you can get back up and running without having to run out and find propane

Have fun!
    Bob
    SUNT@B

• Options
    Yep - Mine has green, yellow and red. It can be in the green during the heat of the day but drop to yellow as the ambient temp falls and then to red - Usually at 3:00am. If it's yellow in the evening, time to switch or I'll be out there in my skivies in the middle of the night :-)