Options

Propane tank gauge

2»

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, That was a visual I really didn't :o need!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have really nice skivies :-)
    And I'm usually in the boonies so not a chance that anyone (or thing) will ever see them :-)
  • Options
    Probably have flamingos on 'em, huh?[pink] :s
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Never, never, never - Blue bunnies <- Or at least until that pack of coyotes saw me, seems they like bunnies. Now it's bears.
  • Options
    Run Forest, RUN! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    edited July 2016
    Handheld fishing scale ... hook it on and lift the tank and weigh your fish. Know your completely full weight and your completely empty weight at you're all set.

For instance. I don't vouch for this one - I have an old mechanical spring one but I'm going to upgrade to digital and keep it in the Tab.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate54-Portable-Multifunction-Backlight-Capacity/dp/B017PQFXU8
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    The tank empty (tare) weight is stamped into the side near the top or on the handle/valve guard.  Generally about 20 pounds or 8kg for the common 20# capacity tanks.  Example "-TW8.2KG-"   This is used by some filling stations to determine when the tank is full.
    Remember, it will need to be completely free of it's mounting bracket to get a meaningful measurement.

• Options
    Trouble with scales, you have to take the tank out :-(
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I looked up those steak savers and found that there are inexpensive valves you can use to refill the little 1 pound bottles from a bigger tank.  Safe?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    I always thought you had to turn your 20lbr upside down to fill those little ones. That's the way people I know that do it have described using the kit.
  • Options
    The "new" tanks are required to have an OPD equipped valve.  These have a float that prevents the tank from delivering liquid propane when inverted as the older tanks would.  Descriptions of refilling the one pound cylinders from bulk tanks are from before the OPD requirement (over 10 years).   The most that will happen now is a little vapor will be pushed into an empty cylinder which, for any practical purposes, is still empty.
    The "steak savers" adapter along with one or two disposable cylinders is a good back-up plan.  I know at least two T@B owners that use only these small cylinders. They save weight and space and are easy to find.  One will provide many hours of cooking and heat.
    Have fun!
    Bob
    SUNT@B

• Options
    Ahhh - When I was using the smaller tanks with my WeberQ while baking, I'd get around 4.5-5 hrs per tank.
  • Options
    TerryV6, I have filled quite a few. There are several threads on youtube to fill these cylinders. My suggestion is to watch several, and pick the method you feel most comfortable with.
    rfuss928, I don't "invert" the tank when filling the smaller ones. I have a 2x4 I set the bottom end on with the tank sideways. I also use a small set of hemostats to use for the pressure release valve on the small tank while it is filling. I have seen videos of people who turn the tank totally upside down. Didn't look too safe to me, so I chose the sideways method. ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Even the best safety features can be defeated with determination.  Be careful !!

• Options
    Thanks rfuss928, I am, believe me. I really don't want to end up in the neighbors yard! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    UHaul has the tanks w gauge for less than Amazon, last I checked.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA