Options

New galley sink

We were unhappy with the Dometic galley sink on our 2022 400.  The glass lid served no purpose, the tiny lever was hard to adjust, and unless precisely stowed, could turn on as the lid closed, inadvertently draining the FW tank and overflowing the GW tank.

I substituted a Miseno MSS17C round bar sink, $89, and a Grohe Concetto bar faucet #31518000, $194, both from Ferguson plumbing. The new sink is covered by a custom inch-thick cutting board, $200, sourced locally, which is almost too lovely to touch with a blade.  It’s notched to stay in place enroute.  Extravagant, perhaps, and I really don’t need Walnut, Maple, Jatoba, and Makore, but they certainly jazz up the  counter.

The project was straightforward, without a dreaded spoiler half way through.  Pointers:

Unclip the cabinet doors for better access.

First remove the Dometic drain collar.  The sink is secured by screws under the little grommets.  Then gently pry up an edge to break the sealing bead and lift it out.  Once it’s free, the hose connections will be accessible.

As the new sink is 7” deep vs 5” for the Dometic, the vertical 1 3/4” ABS drain pipe had to be shortened.  If needed, invest in a simple ratchet plastic pipe cutter, about $25.  It will quickly make a clean cut without endangering adjacent wiring.

Cut the pipe a few inches from the bottom, which will allow enough surface to clamp a 4” rubber collar, which will allow height and twist adjustment for the new drain configuration.  The upper part of the pipe will have to be shortened 3” — 2” for the deeper sink, and 1” to allow final height adjustment as needed.

You will also have to reconfigure the horizontal length leaving the new sink, as its drain location will be different from the Dometic’s.  It took a new 90 degree elbow with a short length glued into it and connection with a 2” long rubber collar.  There was still room for the Hepvo device.

Installation of the Grohe faucet was straightforward.  You’ll need a 1 5/6” hole saw for mounting it.  The hoses were long enough to coil out of the way.  Pressurize the system and check for leaks before mounting the sink, as hose fittings will be hard to reach later.

The sink mounted without any Formica cutting.  A couple of protrusions below the Formica level which remain from the Dometic mounting will have to be trimmed or sanded away to allow the new sink to drop in, about two minute’s work.  Rub away old sealant and clean the Formica surface with alcohol.

Keep the drain fittings loose while fitting the sink, as you want to position it precisely.  I used a healthy bead of adhesive sealant to attach it without screws or fittings.  Once in position, weight it with a couple of boards and a toolbox or water jugs to prevent it from floating while curing.

Voila!  Now, galley chores will be more fun than lounging with a beer and watching the sunset!

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    What a stunning cutting board! And yeah, I don’t understand why every RV manufacturer is so enamored of the Dometic sink. Much prefer the bar faucet look and utility.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,196
    edited March 2023
    Great work!

Yeah, have to agree with @VictoriaP. The dometic sink is the worst and our faucet eventually started leaking which is what prompted me to install a new sink and faucet on our 400. I detailed the install below. The new sink is a lot bigger than the original so I had to cut the hole bigger in the countertop:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/15956/installed-larger-sink-in-2021-400

It is by far my favorite mod I’ve done. It increases the overall “ease of use” of the trailer by leaps and bounds. We tend to do a fair amount of dishes so this just makes things that much better.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    VictoriaP said:
    . . . don't understand why every RV manufacturer is so enamored of the Dometic sink.

One word . . . they are dollars ' cheap ' . . .

All higher end travel trailer builders (nuCamp, Airstream, Oliver) do the same.  Each have above average build quality and customer support but they all use the same poor quality material and design, cheap to obtain Dometic products.  I am continually amazed and disappointed at how many of the third party components are so poorly selected for travel trailers in the 'above average' retail price range.

Raising the price of one of these brands by $1K so far more functional and quality made components were installed would not change their sales volume, might increase it.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    I too dislike the Dometic sink/cover/faucet situation in the 400. Really nice work @Hanktheyank!

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    edited March 2023
    Great job @Hanktheyank on finding a replacement sink that is the same size as the Dometic!  I did the @manyman297 sink mod and it was a bit nerve racking cutting the larger hole in the counter.  Super happy with the result.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    mjwaldnermjwaldner Member Posts: 44
    We did the same modification and I would never go back to the stock Dometic setup. 
    2021 400 BD / 2019 Honda Passport Elite / Nashville, TN
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,196
    @Horigan Yeah, cutting the hole was the single most unnerving part of the mod but necessary because we wanted a larger sink. I knew my skills with a jigsaw were crap so making that template for the router mad the entire process that much less stressful. 

I'm truly hopeful the mod will, if anything, add a bit of value to the trailer. It's night and day the difference it makes washing dishes, cleaning vegetables, etc. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    ted52ted52 Member Posts: 1
    Wishing to copy your remodel but when I search the sink model “Miseno MSS17C round bar sink” it says it is an under mount sink. Is it both an under mount and drop in?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    @ted52 - may help if you “call” hanktheyank like this - @Hanktheyank
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio