Options

2022 Tab 400 wiring diagram

ColMagColMag Member Posts: 16
@MuttonChops ... Thank you for your work creating the 2022 Tab 400 wiring diagram! That is a great resource and it will be a permanent part of of my reference library. That, along with other posts and photos, has been a big help in my reading/learning/planning a Victron SmartShunt and 2nd SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 charge controller installation in a few weeks once we get our 400 back from storage.

If you make any updates to the wiring diagram, can I kindly suggest the following:
1. If a shunt is installed, it should instead go along the black wire between the battery and Distribution Studs. Where it is shown now would not include the charging from the factory solar charge controller, or the load used by the inverter.
2. It would be nice to show the stand-alone mounted (Stinger?) (150A?) fuse (along the red cable from the Distribution Studs to the inverter).
3. The red wire battery connection to the factory solar charge controller instead goes to the Gloso breaker (battery-side), not to the Distribution Studs. While this doesn't make any difference electrically, placement at the breaker allows the inline (30A?) fuse to be more accessible for checking/replacement, in the outside storage compartment, where the breaker is.
4. It would be nice to show that inline (30A?) fuse for the solar charge controller, mentioned above.
5. Probably just too big an ask, but ideally, wire sizes might be shown on the diagram too. But, there are probably just too many dang wires for that, LOL. The ones relating to my upcoming installs...so far I'm guessing that battery & inverter cables might be 4AWG, main supply wires to camper might be 8AWG, and wires to solar charge controller might be 10AWG....but I'll find out in a few weeks when our 400 comes out from storage!

Thanks again. Cheers

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    @ColMag ;  Thank you for the suggestions, see comments:
    ColMag said:
    1. If a shunt is installed, it should instead go along the black wire between the battery and Distribution Studs.
              Actually has been corrected on unpublished version v0.4

2. It would be nice to show the stand-alone mounted Stinger (150A?) fuse.
              Is it a FUSE of Breaker?  (reference picture below)

3. The red wire battery connection to the factory solar charge controller instead goes to the Gloso breaker (battery-side), not to the Distribution Studs
              Please clarify:  Is what you describe the "factory" Wiring or your modification
                for easy access
    ?

4. It would be nice to show that inline (30A?) fuse for the solar charge controller, mentioned above.
              An additional in-line fuse between Controller and Battery?  See reference picture below.

5. Probably just too big an ask, but ideally, wire sizes might be shown on the diagram too.
              One can dream. ;)

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    1. Terrific!
    2. I believe that it is a large fuse, as you showed above. No, not a breaker. Yes, positioned about where you show  "2" in the diagram above---but closer to the Distribution Studs.
    3. What I described is the factory wiring.
    4. Yes, I believe there is a factory inline ATO fuse between the solar charge controller and the Gloso breaker, positioned about where you show "4" in the diagram above---but right before the breaker. The above diagram does not show one between the controller and battery.  (There is also a 20A ATO fuse built in to the controller but perhaps not necessary to show in the Tab wiring?)
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Like This?

• Options
    Yes, just like that, except...
    o I can't read the fine print on the screen image, so I can't confirm it, but the diagram and larger print looks correct.
    o I was wrong on the "Stinger" name brand on the inverter fuse cover. I've certainly seen lots of similar photos on the web with that name printed on the inverter fuse holder cover, but looking again at photos of mine, its similar cover says "AIMS Power", so it obviously came from the same company as the AIMS inverter.
    o I hadn't even noticed in the version 3 diagram, the extra solar panel port that was shown connected to the factory controller...now changed in version 4. But I believe that NuCamp stopped installing that in mid-late 2021 model year---its port was located just below the shore power receptacle. However, I believe its cabling also connected with its inline fuse at the same point, at the Gloso breaker battery-side, as does the factory solar charge controller red wire with its inline fuse---I've seen someone else's photo of that. We got our 2022 Tab 400 in 2022 May and I was disappointed to find we got no extra solar panel port---now I have to add one.
    Cheers

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited March 2023
    I do not believe the Victron Shunt can handle the current from the inverter, and the inverter negative lead should not go through the shunt, but be directly connected to the battery.   The fuse in the inverter positive lead is a large capacity cartridge type fuse, provided by AIMS.  Edited, see below for correct info.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 288
    Denny16 said:
    I do not believe the Victron Shunt can handle the current from the inverter, and the inverter negative lead should not go through the shunt, but be directly connected to the battery.   The fuse in the inverter positive lead is a large capacity cartridge type fuse, provided by AIMS.
    cheers

Actually the negative from the inverter should be connected directly to the smart shunt.
    edited March 2023
    Interesting, but my TaB400 has the inverter connected directly to the battery, both positive and negative, and is how it came from the nüCamp factory.  I see on the Victron site, there are now different models of the Smart Shunt to handle up to 2000 amps.   I have the Victron BMV battery monitor/shunt, not sure what its max capacity is.  I rarely use inverter, so having it’s load monitored is not an issue for me.  I can see if the inverter is used a lot, the monitor should have the inverter connected through it also.  Thanks @elbolillo for the updated info.
    cheers
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 288
    Denny16 said:
    Interesting, but my TaB400 has the inverter connected directly to the battery, both positive and negative, and is how it came from the nüCamp factory.  I see on the Victron site, there are now different models of the Smart Shunt to handle up to 2000 amps.   I have the Victron BMV battery monitor/shunt, not sure what its max capacity is.  I rarely use inverter, so having it’s load monitored is not an issue for me.  I can see if the inverter is used a lot, the monitor should have the inverter connected through it also.  Thanks @elbolillo for the updated info.
    cheers
    On the 2023 Tab 400 with the Lithium package the inverter is connected to the smart shunt. All loadas and chargers connect to one side of the shunt and then the other side is connected to the batteries.
    Electrical Resources Page now has Updated
    Tab 400 Electrical Diagrams v0.5

The 400 continues to have a lot of manufacturing variation within a model year and year to year.  It is near impossible to capture everything without multiple year and/or model build date within a year diagrams.

My diagram goal has been to provide owners with a starting point for investigation.
  • Options
    Amen amen to that!
    Cheers