Options

Towing Speed

jehdfdjehdfd Member Posts: 27
I was wondering if any T@b Outback package owners could offer some advice on towing speeds. I'm heading out to pick up my new trailer next week and I've read that trailers on ST tires shouldn't go over 65 mph. However, the Outback is on a light truck tire. Do you tow under 65 or can I take it on a 75 mph freeway?
Aurora, Colorado - 2016 T@b Outback - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I never intentionally tow over 65 mph.  I have a T@B S M@X.  I never intentionally towed over 65 mph with my Silver Shadow with Carlisle trailer tires, which are considered (by some) to be about the best trailer tires. You just have to develop an "I don't care" attitude about others passing you.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have a Dutchmen T@B with car tires that are rated for a much higher speed. I often drive interstates, but still poke along between 60-65, and let folks pass me.

Now my husband on the other hand..........
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    My Outback came with General Grabber AT2 all terrain tires, size 27x8.5R14LT, which are pretty heavy duty tires.  I went to tirerack.com to search out the specs and per their info, it has a 95Q service rating, 95 being the load index, or carrying capacity of the tire at 1521 lbs each and Q the speed rating which equates to 99 mph.  You won't have any issues with it at normal highway speeds.
    we just got back from our maiden voyage, 2,300 miles from here to CO & back and it towed beautifully.  
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    We have an Outback and have traveled in mountains, hills, and flatland. The issue is safety and comfort. It just feels more safe and comfortable to do 65-70 mph on the interstate. 60-65 on the two lane and 50-60 in the mountains. I have caught my self doing 75-80 on the interstate and it just felt unsafe. A little too much sway and bounce for my comfort level.
    Things ride a little better inside the trailer too.
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    I don't have the Outback, but speed seems to really affect your tow vehicle's mileage. My Subaru Outback with a 6-cylinder 3.6 liter engine normally gets about 26 mpg on the highway. Towing my new T@b at 60-65 mph drops the mpg to about 13-14. Driving at 70 mph drops the mpg to about 10. Aside from the speed rating of the tires, I've pretty much decided that 65 mph is about the fastest I intend driving while towing the T@b and will likely keep it to about 60 mph on Interstates. On secondary roads with a 55 mph speed limit I will maintain that limit. For me, another benefit of driving at these reasonable speeds is that I no longer have to watch vigilantly for hiding police cruisers, and that alone makes for a much more relaxed driving experience. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2015
    We normally do no more than 65. 

Re: less bouncy, I rode in the Tab once (I think in NC it's legal) and lasted about one minute at about 45mph. It bounces! There are no shocks in a Tab.

Not only do you get used to people passing you, but it seems that generally people are very forgiving about slow campers on the highway. Must be cuz the Tab is so dam cute.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2015
    I find that even at 60 on the freeway, I'm not the slowest. If I am, I might kick it up to 65. I like the CA speed limits - trucks, trailers, RVs - 55mph, right lane.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I don't tow any more than 60, faster than that and my gas mileage goes down the tubes.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    sabel said:
    We have an Outback and have traveled in mountains, hills, and flatland. The issue is safety and comfort. It just feels more safe and comfortable to do 65-70 mph on the interstate. 60-65 on the two lane and 50-60 in the mountains. I have caught my self doing 75-80 on the interstate and it just felt unsafe. A little too much sway and bounce for my comfort level.
    Things ride a little better inside the trailer too.
    It depends on the highway, but agree.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    My mileage drops significantly at speeds above 55 (and can't go faster in California anyway so I'm used to it).
  • Options
    jehdfdjehdfd Member Posts: 27
    Thank you all! Can't wait to join the club.
    Aurora, Colorado - 2016 T@b Outback - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    My Dutchmen T@B does have shocks, but even so, folks have told me that it left the ground over a railroad track once, and on the way to Tearstock, I hit a very rough railroad track just a bit too fast, and found lots of stuff in the floor.

I get much better gas mileage at 60-65, also just not "pushing" and maintaining RPMs helps too. If I hit a hill, I don't push to maintain speed, but just slow down a little, but maintaining my RPMs.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    My Dutchmen T@B does have shocks, but even so, folks have told me that it left the ground over a railroad track once, and on the way to Tearstock, I hit a very rough railroad track just a bit too fast, and found lots of stuff in the floor.

I get much better gas mileage at 60-65, also just not "pushing" and maintaining RPMs helps too. If I hit a hill, I don't push to maintain speed, but just slow down a little, but maintaining my RPMs.

Oh yeah, I lost a lot of stuff over that railroad track, too!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    6k sounds awfully low - I know I have at least double or triple that and they're still looking good. As far as flats, I worry more about picking up a nail or something. Just did that with the TV a couple weeks ago and it has thick treads. A thorn went right thru my thick shoe sole a couple days ago.
    Are your tire treads worn?
  • Options
    Boo, you're right, 'especially when tired and want to get home'...

I need to remember that mantra. Slower is safer, slower is safer...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    On the highway we cruise at 55 unless we have to pass.....most just go around us. We like to see the scenery around us and are pretty much not in any hurry. We like the journey and not the destination so slow is fine for us.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    edited February 2016
    I find the 'sweet spot' for towing with our Jeep is between 90 km/h (55 mph) and 98 km/h (60 mph) for gas mileage and range (which is important in a Jeep as we have a relatively small fuel tank.)  I prefer slower in a strong headwind has I have noticed that a headwind will greatly reduce mileage.  

The Road Trip Planner software that I use on my MacBook allows me to adjust the speed that I will be travelling vs the posted speeds in Apple Maps which will then provide an accurate time prediction for each leg of the journey (usually just fuel and night stops.)
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2016
    I have a Dutchmen T@B with car tires that are rated for a much higher speed. I often drive interstates, but still poke along between 60-65, and let folks pass me.

Now my husband on the other hand..........
    Thanks to the sealed bearings, ALKO chassis, and car tires, the Dutchmen style (clones of the German ones) T@Bs set a towing record of 240km/hr (150mph). Of course, being German born, it's an important "qualification" :).

http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-services/reviews/caravan-camper-motorhome-reviews/tab-safari.htm

2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2016 Outback. We travel no faster than 65.  I can't imagine taking the speed up much beyond that.  They back end will bob and sway. Coming to a fast stop would difficult to say the least.
  • Options
    Verna said:
    I never intentionally tow over 65 mph.  I have a T@B S M@X.  I never intentionally towed over 65 mph with my Silver Shadow with Carlisle trailer tires, which are considered (by some) to be about the best trailer tires. You just have to develop an "I don't care" attitude about others passing you.
    We are ready to replace our factory tires for the first time.   Knowing that changing a flat tire with the undermounted spare, we want the best tires we can get.  We're thinking thicker tread, thicker ply, etc.   Why are Carlisle "trailer tires" considered by some to be the best?   We have about 6,000 miles on the factory tires and don't feel comfortable going much further with them.  What kind of tire life/miles do you expect to get out of the Carlisle tires?
    Sorry, I've been without cell or data service for a week or so. When I asked a utility trailer company and my former neighbor, a service writer for an auto repair business, what name brand of tires I should I get, they both answered Carlisle.  Why? Longevity, safety, long mileage. At 10,000 miles, my teardrop Carlisle tires showed no sign of wear.

I just had to put new Carlisle tires on my T@B last week. Like you, both of the stock tires were wearing on the outside 2/3rds of the tire.  I went to a utility tire company, who told me there was nothing wrong with the axle. I needed to get a quality set of tires, which I did. 

I bought the two new tires from Discount Tire. They had the exact size of Carlisle tires I needed. The guy said they are a popular tire for campers. He mentioned I could save money with another tire (can't remember the name brand), but I like the Carlisle radial tires. And it's a much smoother ride, too. 

Be sure to tell the dealer not to put the tire jack under the axle, only under the frame. The service guy said that Airstreams have the same requirement. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Topic starred for Verna's tire review!! Thanks V!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks Verna, great help.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya