Options

Tab 400 - weak spots ?

I'm very keen on the TAB 400 generally. It seems like a great fit for me. After looking at one in person today, I have a couple of concerns - comments and options appreciated.

Dinette - the cushions seem pretty thin and insubstantial. I was hoping to do a partial setup in "couch" mode and recline there - but the bottom and back cushions aren't comfortable.

Colder Weather - without tank heaters, what's the practical low temps I could expect to camp in without causing damage? I'd like to be able to do some February camping, where the night temps might be in high 20's where I am. I'm not concerned about the heater keeping up but I wonder what's reasonable to avoid freeze damage.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    You didn’t say what model year you are considering, but the lack of cushion comfort is a known issue.  Some owners have received replacement cushions from the factory, others have found their own cushion source.

Re the temperature, as you know, the trailer is not rated for 4 season use.  In general, multiple hours of below freezing temps risks freeze damage.  The items below the flooring and outside of the heated space such as the fresh tank outlets, the tank valves, etc, are at risk of freezing/cracking.  Not sure about the tolerance of the Nautilus outlets.  If the temps just dip down briefly and recover during the day, keeping a full water tank (requires many hours to freeze) and putting some antifreeze in the gray and black tanks is commonly done.  No guarantees.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    We have a 2018 Tab 400 and have travelled extensively and have avoided freezing issues by using the blow out method winterization and carry antifreeze to protect the drains.  Antifreeze flushing after peeing, Use of public bathrooms and or “doodie bags” until warmer temps.  Our last cross country trip the temps ranged from 100+ to lower 20s and had to be prepared. During another trip south in February a few years ago we spent 12 degree night in a Walmart parking lot and used a buddy heater to preheat as the Alde warm the camper. As with everything camping we all have our own approach and comfort level, YRMV. 
    For our camping/traveling, the 400 has been great as we are starting our sixth year with our 400 with visits to all of the lower 48 states and three Canadian provinces with 2023 plans to visit the Canadian Maritimes. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    I have a neighbor who camps all winter. it doesn't sound convienant, but he keeps his unit winterized and uses a 5 gal bucket with a toilet seat and disposable bags. For showering he uses premoistend wipes and  sponge bath method. Me, I just stay home until it's in the 40's. Or rent a cabin.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    Premoistened wipes (Epic wipes) are part of our supplies for dry camping, travel and cold weather. I will empty the tanks and use antifreeze to protect the gray and black valves if anticipating freezing temps. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the responses. I am considering buying new - 2023 model.

It bugs me to, even in a best case scenario, spend as much as you would for a brand new Toyota RAV 4 (for example) and then have to start "modding" and customizing to get a workable platform.

I suppose this is the reality of the trailer/RV world and I better accept that.
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    To have a truly winter-capable camper all of the plumbing/storage tanks ought to be inside the heated body of the camper.  Or don't use the plumbing system for winter camping, as we have done many times with several campers.  Don't take the risk of frozen and broken plumbing, leave it winterized and use it as a comfortable, rustic cabin.  The Alde heater can still be used without the plumbing.
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 270
    Based on my experience in a 2021 400 BD, the water lines will keep flowing down to the mid to low 20s as long as it warms up to above freezing during the day and you keep the trailer heated with the Alde. The only freeze-up I’ve had was when the overnight temperature got down to 18. When I got up in the morning, there was no water flow in any of the lines. I was in dry-camp mode using the freshwater tank. The water started flowing again at mid-morning after I turned the trailer heat up and the outside temperature warmed up above freezing. No damage to the water lines, fortunately, but it was a close call.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    If you want a true four season camper then you need to look at something else, like,the new Airstream Base Camp 2.  It has water tank heaters to keep the water system from freezing.  The TaB 310 and 400 do not come with water and heaters.  That said, the black tank is above the floor in the washroom, so if you keep the Alde on, the black tank will not freeze.  The frshmandngrayntanks are below the floor snd will require type of of freezing protection during the winter.  There are several discussions here where heating strip units and additional under the trailer insulation has been added.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    What he said. Two other things. RV anti-freeze doesn't prevent freezing. It prevent expansion when it does freeze. The other thing, depending on year, if your dump valves are at the outlet as mine (2018), the black plastic line fills with waste water and freezes. Newer models have a remote valve and will stay liquid to a lower temperature. We have drawn the line at: 30 at night as long as it is above freezing in the day with the fresh and gray empty.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"