Options

(No) smoke alarm

So I’m making toast with a camping toaster and there’s not a whiff of smoke. Kitchen window open. Ceiling vent open. Smoke alarm goes off. Why even have a stove in a camper if you can’t use it? Should I just disable the alarm when I want to cook?

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    What year and what model trailer?
    Some of the newer smoke alarms do seem to be a bit sensitive.  It would help to know what year your trailer is.  It can be close to the "end of life" of the alarm, or could be alarming due to a low battery condition, too.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    That's an issue I've had in every camper, just making coffee sets them off. I've just changed mine to a photoelectric one but haven't been out since. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    crowsnestcrowsnest Member Posts: 50
    Photoelectric sounds like a good idea. Didn’t know about those. I’ll check it out. Thanks 
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    Same here. It goes off even when I boil water.  I took out the battery.  It has been peaceful cooking ever since.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    FWIW, I might remove the battery temporarily in the situation you have described, but I usually just blow air against the sensor or remove the device temporarily from the wall and lay it face down on the bed/seat cushion while making toast, etc.  However, I have found it is easier to have the roof vent open and crack open the window by the stove (or open the door, if weather permits.)

As far as the best type of smoke detector, this info is from the First Alert website regarding photoelectric smoke detectors:

https://www.firstalert.com/us/en/safetycorner/what-is-a-photoelectric-smoke-detector/

Other popular technologies for smoke detectors are ionization alarms and dual sensor smoke detectors.  A dual sensor smoke alarm has both ionization and photoelectric sensors inside.  Ionization smoke alarms are best for detecting rapid flame fires, while photoelectric smoke alarms are best at protecting against slower, smoldering fires.  It is recommended that every home have a photoelectric smoke detector.  While ionization smoke detectors have been proven more effective in detecting flaming fires, photoelectric smoke alarms outperform them when there is a smoldering fire.  For the ultimate protection, it is recommended to have both types or dual sensor fire alarms throughout your home.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    With a limited sample size of two days I can report that the photoelectric smoke alarm did not go off when making coffee in the morning, or frying eggs for that matter. 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    We moved the smoke alarm in our 2020 320S from the left of the upper storage bin (no microwave) to the bathroom wall because we wanted to expand storage above the window. We used this as an opportunity to replace the factory alarm with a smaller photoelectric model. We've had far fewer false alarms and the easily accessible silence button makes it better at dealing  with one if it happens.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088KJ93M3/ref=twister_B0932SFF6C?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler