Options

How much to worry about salt damage staying on the beach?

ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
We are headed to Austin and Galveston in a couple months. I’m trying to book some state park camping and there is a site available “on the beach” for just $30 a night at Galveston island state park. I am so afraid of salt. My dad had trailers in Florida and they just didn’t last very long and they were a couple miles from the beach but for months. We will only be there four days and I guess I could wash the T@B when we get out of the area. Any tips? Should I be worried about this? Is there any thing I need to watch out for? Thank you so much.

2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
Custom Colors & Custom Interior
We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I wouldn't worry too much about it.  You could spray the frame and axle with Fluid Film or similar to be proactive.  One can would probably do it. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    Ok, I am not sure what that is but I will check it out. We have touchup paint, but I’ve never used it. We have a custom color and I know there are a few dinks and it so I worry about the salt getting in. Thank you so much.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    i would just take to a car wash on the way home and spray the trailer and underside really well. 
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    I wonder what the boat owners do
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    Boats are built for salt water or they are not.  I have one that is not. So I stay away.  Those that are have fittings that tolerate that environment and need the recommended effort to maintain them, think navy sailors swabbing the deck,  cleaning and painting all the fittings  For trailer boats, the key is a freshwater flush of the engine cooling system.  Many have a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger that gets the raw water flow.  It should be flushed with fresh water after use to keep corrosion at a minimum.  All the other fittings should stainless steel or other salt resistant material.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited April 2023
    I live a block from the ocean, have camped on the beach with our TaB400, no issues.  Just wash it down after your trip.  Your trailer is Not going to be in the salt water, and fair weather camping is nice next to the sea.  Most of the TaB is non metallic material, the frame is u dear the trailer, protected by the trailer cabin above, somuless there is a hard blow from the Sea, most of the salt drops out of the air quickly, and the odd weekend or week is not going to ruin your trailer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.