Options

Best Practice / Battery on green or turned off when connected to shore power

At the moment I'm doing a lot of camping with my 2018 Tab 400. What should I be doing with the battery when connected to shore power? Leave it on green on the disconnect switch or turn it to red. I believe when on shore power the battery is always being charged. So that would make no difference. 
2018 Tab 400 / 2015 ford F-150 2.7 EB

Comments

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
    edited April 2023
    On our 320 the battery switch has to be on in order to charge the battery when on shore power. Solar will charge the battery with the switch in either position.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Once my TaB leaves it's storage spot and an adventure is underway I never turn the Battery Cut-Off Switch 'off'.  Boondocking or full service campsite, 3-day trip or 6-week trip.

The Power Center (and Solar if equipped) will continually monitor and charge the battery, as needed. If everything is working correctly they will never overcharge the battery.  Overcharging issues/failures are rarely reported and there are thousands of RV owners.

Plus, you will never be in the situation of - - I forgot to charge the battery - - :)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    @bimmer - to charge the battery when connected to shorepower, the battery switch must be turned on “green” just like charging the battery while towing.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    bimmerbimmer Member Posts: 22
    Hi all, and thank you for your input. This has now clarified my understanding and I won't OCD over it.  =)
  • Options
    JamesCJamesC Member Posts: 62
    It also it may depend on your battery type as well. I have always left my switch on when connected to shore power when not in use to keep the batteries charged (AGMs), but with the lithium battery I turn the switch off once the battery is charged because it will hold its charge and the only drain on it is the Victron monitor which is minimal. Either way is probably fine. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2015 F150 tow vehicle. 
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    i turn mine off while parked in the driveway, on when the we use trailer. My battery (flodded cell) would drain considerably while parked. I found the propane sensor, the always on tv and the led face on the radio drew more than I expected. I unplugged the tv, but can't easily disconnect the others.
  • Options
    bimmerbimmer Member Posts: 22
    Thank you JamesC and GregChris. I believe my battery is the original, however not 100%. That cover looks like a great pain to remove.