Options

Does anyone else cook like this?

DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 80

One of our common first night out meals is steamed mussels.  We try not to do a lot of cooking inside our 400 to avoid lingering odors, etc.  Our usual "stove" is a WeberQ grill which is set up half with a grill and half with a griddle.  I can do eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. on the griddle side.  We do burgers, fish, etc. on the grill side which works great for the two of us.  I've also figured out I can cook all kinds of stuff in a regular sauce pan on the grill side.  In this case, we cook some shallots in butter, dump in a bunch of white wine and steam the mussels with the WeberQ top down on top of the sauce pan.  You can see from the middle photo that even though I can't close the lid all the way the temps get up above 300 degrees.  I toast some Italian bread with a little olive oil on the griddle side.  We chop up some tomatoes and cucumbers for a salad.  That's the meal!  Are we the only ones that use our WeberQ as a stove or is it just that no one else has mentioned this before? Bon appetite.  
Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport

Comments

• Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 297
    @DanManz I always cook like this. I don't use a WeberQ but between our CampChef Ranger cooktop and camp fire we eat quite well.

jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 135
    Can I camp next door to you??
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    edited May 2023
    Search “Baking with the Q” for a whole new set of foods to bake in your Q, lots of great ideas!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @DanManz what @Homebodyatheart said X2! I bake, steam, braise and sizzle in my Q. I've begun rough planning the holiday menu for us and it includes everything from pulled pork to blueberry muffins and homemade bread from scratch. Once at a campground a fellow camper commented as I took a loaf of freshly baked bread out of the Q that she could do the same if she had brought her breadmaker. I replied that I always travel with my breadmakers. I have 2, one at the end of each arm, and I said that I'd bet she couldn't bake in her bbq grill. With a cookie sheet and wire rack, as detailed in the aforementioned thread, almost all baked items are possible which lends to many varied meal possibilities.

Good luck, bon apetite, and get experimenting with that wonderful Q.

2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I don't think it is a good idea to advertise photos of good food like this on this forum as every campsite on all sides of folks who can cook like that will demand a premium price and I will be priced out! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 135
    @DanManz what @Homebodyatheart said X2! I bake, steam, braise and sizzle in my Q. I've begun rough planning the holiday menu for us and it includes everything from pulled pork to blueberry muffins and homemade bread from scratch. Once at a campground a fellow camper commented as I took a loaf of freshly baked bread out of the Q that she could do the same if she had brought her breadmaker. I replied that I always travel with my breadmakers. I have 2, one at the end of each arm, and I said that I'd bet she couldn't bake in her bbq grill. With a cookie sheet and wire rack, as detailed in the aforementioned thread, almost all baked items are possible which lends to many varied meal possibilities.

Good luck, bon apetite, and get experimenting with that wonderful Q.

You are an inspiration!   
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    brindle123brindle123 Member Posts: 2
    LOVE steamed mussels in wine sauce and it looks so delicious! ... And bread too? Wow! Very impressive.

Tonight for dinner, I made Ginger-Garlic Shrimp with Coconut Milk, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be my dinner for friends when they visit my campsite in a few weeks.
    2022 T@b 320 S Boondock / 2020 Ford Expedition Max King Ranch
  • Options
    chris1chris1 Member Posts: 11
    Which weber model is that with the griddle side, or is that an extra piece? Food looks fabulous
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    @chris1, the griddle is an accessory that replaces the grill grate on one side. There are different sized Qs, however, so make sure you get the griddle that matches your model.
    My Q is from back before Weber started making two-piece grill grates, but I wanted the griddle so bad I cut my grill grate in half and fashioned a center support for the two pieces. I think you can also buy the two-piece grill as a separate replacement if necessary.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    CapthavocCapthavoc Member Posts: 14
    Love my old Coleman oven
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    Making the little SMEV earn its keep...

• Options
    Firebird_WS6Firebird_WS6 Member Posts: 7
    I use my Cuisinart CGG-403, it's a pizza oven, grill and griddle. Easily portable. Just needed a longer gas hose, which I have now. Makes the arrival day food easy as we just take a couple of Papa Murphy's medium pizzas with us and enjoy fresh baked pizza!

2018 T@B 320S / 2017 Subaru Outback / Seattle, WA