Options

Hail damage tab 400

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, been thinking of getting a tap 400, lately our local dealer has some hail damage 2023 on sale(we had a huge hail storm a couple weeks ago.  one left with about 18K discount, there are visible dents on top, but windows/vent covers are all undamaged, is it a good idea to purchase one of those for around 37K? also posting some photos:

TIA

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I don’t think I’d purchase one with hail damage even at that discount. I don’t even know if paintless dent repair shops can even remove those.

There’s a sheet of styrofoam insulation in between the outer aluminum skin and the interior luan ceiling so I don’t know how the shop could access the underside to push those dings out. I would check with a shop first to see if it’s possible. Otherwise, if it were me, I wouldn’t buy it just due to resale.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited June 2023
    @manyman297 is correct about resale; you narrow your potential buying audience with any damage (and with some mods, but I digress). Also correct that basically this cannot be fixed except by the factory.

That said:  IF you’re fairly certain that the 400 is a trailer you’re going to keep for a long time and IF the damage is strictly cosmetic, an $18k discount on an otherwise brand new trailer where everything else is still under warranty? (Make sure there’s no damage to the solar panel.) I’d consider it. Keep in mind though, many people end up flipping RVs within the first two years or so, often because an RV is too small or too large for the way they prefer to camp. 

Add in things like major life changes or health changes…the best laid plans and all that. If you can accept that an emergency sale necessitated by such an unforeseen event may take longer & net you less money on resale, this might be a good deal for you. 

Edit to add: I’d also be checking prices HARD around the country to see what the discount *really* comes out to. New model year is almost here, many dealers will be discounting 2023 models about now.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Richard_RRichard_R Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2023
    Our 2023 400 BD was damaged by hail a few weeks ago, although it doesn't appear to be quite as bad as your photos. The solar panel got pretty dinged up, but it seems to be working OK as far as I can tell. Our insurance paid us $9k to have it replaced. I'm waiting for an estimate from nuCamp and will likely throw my hat into the queue, as they put it. There doesn't appear to be anyone at all nearby who can do the work, so we're likely looking at a 2800 mile round trip to Sugar Creek. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to have it repaired (although I think replaced is probably the only option).

— Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
    2023 F150 Hybrid (PowerBoost drivetrain)
  • Options
    TabmanicTabmanic Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2023
    We purchased a new 2023 400 BD for 38,750 without any damage, I think I would keep shopping, here is an example...
    New 2023 nuCamp RV TAB TAB 400 Travel Trailer at Blue Compass RV | Denton, TX | #D4183 (exploreusa.com)

• Options
    wilsonzhangwilsonzhang Member Posts: 4
    I don’t think I’d purchase one with hail damage even at that discount. I don’t even know if paintless dent repair shops can even remove those.

There’s a sheet of styrofoam insulation in between the outer aluminum skin and the interior luan ceiling so I don’t know how the shop could access the underside to push those dings out. I would check with a shop first to see if it’s possible. Otherwise, if it were me, I wouldn’t buy it just due to resale.
    the camper itself seems fine but the resale value is a good point.
  • Options
    thank you all for your reply, considering the resale we will pass on this one. it seems now most dealer are running around 43K, the one in Denton it looks good but after charging PDI/Freight it comes out to 43K as well :)
  • Options
    TabmanicTabmanic Member Posts: 36
    We purchased one from Denton in February and paid 39,650 total before tax (Paid AZ Local Tax), there was no freight on the sales order. I guess we scored!
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    If a dealer wants $43k, doesn’t mean you have to pay that much! It’s always worth trying to negotiate on an RV, just like buying a car. If a dealer has a fairly full lot right now, they may be more motivated to deal, since they’ll need space to bring in the 2024 models that are starting to be released across the industry.

It also can be worth it to drive a bit further for a better deal. Price tends to increase the further you go from the factory.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    If a dealer wants $43k, doesn’t mean you have to pay that much! It’s always worth trying to negotiate on an RV, just like buying a car. If a dealer has a fairly full lot right now, they may be more motivated to deal, since they’ll need space to bring in the 2024 models that are starting to be released across the industry.

It also can be worth it to drive a bit further for a better deal. Price tends to increase the further you go from the factory.
    Yeap, I guess the freight actually goes up. will keep looking, thanks!
  • Options
    MrPrez68MrPrez68 Member Posts: 1
    Hi There, received hail damage to roof of 2022 Tab400 in Northern Colorado in July, no leaks but plenty of dents. Has anyone had the roof replaced. If so were you happy with the results? Thanks for your input..
  • Options
    Richard_RRichard_R Member Posts: 38
    @MrPrez68, we're heading to Sugarcreek mid-October to have our 2023 TAB 400 roof replaced. nuCamp's estimate is $10,812. This includes roof, front and rear windows, tongue box, solar panel, lots of little bits and bobs, and $6,650 in labor. They've been great to work with so far, but it's a total PITA that we have to take it back to the factory.   
    — Richard R.
    Front Range of Colorado
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2022 GMC Canyon
    2023 F150 Hybrid (PowerBoost drivetrain)
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    You never be happy with a new, damaged RV. Take a look at RV Trader and you'll see new 400's in the $37k range. It's the end of the model year and RV sales are down almost 50% this year, according to what has been written on this forum. Here's a sample RV Trader nationwide search for new 400's sorted by price from low to high. Even if you have to pay the usual prep and documentation fees, you'll be way out ahead. And, happy. Maybe you'll find one near you.  https://www.rvtrader.com/New-Nucamp-T%40b-400-Travel-Trailer/rvs-for-sale?type=Travel%20Trailer%7C198073&make=Nucamp%7C765337120&model=T%40B%20400%7C764975680&condition=N&sort=price%3Aasc
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    I attended uCamp early June 2023 where the attendees in 200 T@Bs and T@Gs experienced a damaging hail storm. I managed to get mine repaired at the nuCamp service center end of July 2023 before starting my return to CA. The repair took 4 days. I do not have solar. I had damage to only the aluminum roof. Because of the way the T@B is constructed nuCamp also replaced the diamond plate up front and the aluminum panel below the rear bumper. So far I am pleased with the work. My full-timer Progressive insurance covered the cost less my deductible. 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    @jimcenname - Any idea how many trailers were damaged at uCamp?  That’s a lot of work for their service center!
    Was anyone able to cover their units?  I remember a discussion where I learned to cover our TaB with our large RV rug to protect the roof.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    edited August 2023
    Any idea how many trailers were damaged at uCamp?  That’s a lot of work for their service center!

I was told by NuCamp that 303 units in the factory lots were damaged.
    There were 160 trailers at uCamp. Most, if not all plus their TVs had some damage.

• Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM the poster said 403 campers so I figure about 200 T@Bs & T@Gs. Someone else shared this photo of the hail.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    Thanks @rfuss928 and @jimcenname.  New trailers sitting ready to ship got clobbered!  They are going to be really busy fixing all the new ones!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @rufushowe, @Sharon_is_SAM the service center guys told me the new campers were repaired at the factory. The service center does the customer owed ones.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    edited August 2023
    The T@B 400 pictured in the OP has much worse damage than anything I saw at uCamp.  
    The hail I saw was generally acorn size although some we heard hitting the trailer had to be the size of the golf ball pictured above.  I did hear about a broken windshield and some damaged awnings and canopies.
    No one was hurt and we all sought safe shelter at the new Service Center for a couple hours.