t@b 400 BD Axle Replacement

jcbiljcbil Member Posts: 4
edited July 2023 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hi everyone
Has anyone replaced the axle on their t@b 400 BD (I have a 2020) themselves? If so, which one did you purchase? Did you buy a Dexter axle or something else? I recently noticed my right tire cambered out. I reached out to Dexter but since I'm not the original owner, I was denied the warranty claim. So now I'm looking at doing it ourselves. Looking for any helpful tips/success stories. Thanks so much. 

Comments

• d_vd_v Member Posts: 35
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    We had our 2018 TaB 400 axle replaced with the new Goondock axle that nüCamp is using.  The axles are specific to TaB trailers, and are not stock Dexter axles.  You need to order the axle from nüCamp via a dealer.  We had our dealer order the axle, and ship it in their regular TaB ship,ents from nüCamp to save shipping costs.

There is a discussion here on what is involved in doing the axle swap yourself.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 189
    My son and I replaced the axle on our 2019 t@b 400 bdl in about 90-mins (faster had I helped but I didn't want to :)).  Gear was a Harbor Freight Trolley Jack, two jack stands, Dewalt 1/2" drill with sockets and Dewalt Impact Wrench.  What took the longest was removing the rear and side screws holding the under carriage skirt on.  We didn't remove it completely, just the back and screws down each side to just in front of the tires.  Once on jack stands, we used the trolley jack to hold the axle while we removed the bolts then reversed the process.  Seriously, 90-mins and most of that was walking back and forth to the shed for tools.  Of course we had a few beers, did some joking, and got distracted a few times. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,078
    @Blueespy hahaha!!  Sounds like you had a great time watching your son work.  Well now I know if I have to do this it seems to be within my skill level and I already have all the required tools, including the beer. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 189
    bergger said:
    @Blueespy hahaha!!  Sounds like you had a great time watching your son work.  Well now I know if I have to do this it seems to be within my skill level and I already have all the required tools, including the beer. 

Seriously, I was expecting something much harder but once we had the under carriage skirt down and access to the axle it was a piece of cake.  I think one person could do it.  Using the trolley jack to hold one side of the axle up while you bolt on the other.  The downside to all of this is we thought the damage was due to us hitting a large pot hole on I20 and only a month after replacing did we see there was an issue with Dexter Axles and they were replacing them for free.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida