Options

Tab 400 / What kind of battery is this?

I bought a used 2018 Tab 400. I needed to know what batteries I have so I removed the cover and found two 6V HB DTA 6224 batteries (6V 224 AH/20HR). Can someone educate me on what these are. I tried google but didn't find anything with that description. I assume they are AGM. I'm intending to add solar to the roof.
2018 Tab 400 / 2015 ford F-150 2.7 EB

Comments

• Options
    bimmerbimmer Member Posts: 22
    That was quick. Thank you Grumpy...
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @bimmer sounds like your 2018 t@b 400 has the original batteries. I recommend you have them tested as you are near or even beyond standard agm lifespan (depending on date of manufacture of your t@b. It is possible the batteries are still healthy and functional, but usually the original battery/batteries are treated badly by inexperienced newbies and come to an early and untimely end. 

The Harris batteries are beasts. I believe they have a combined weight of over or around 200 lbs. Be careful trying to remove or replace them unless you are the younger brother of Hercules.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    I got a used 2019 with the same batteries and the first thing I added to learn about the battery and usage in the trailer was a shunt. There are inexpensive or not so inexpensive ones, but they are well worth it and not too hard to install.

Here is a thread on shunts if you are curious 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12517/battery-monitor-recommendation-non-solar#latest

As far as adding solar we decided against roof solar and went with a portable panel. For us easier and more flexible in shaded campsites. A simple SAE plug install will be all this needs

Good luck

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @qhumberd Thank you. For right now I have it installed but not on the roof yet. Panels are sitting on a table. Looks like all is working. Do I have to shunt it?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @dragonsdofly The batteries appear to be in good condition. Yes, very heavy. AND that cover don't help much. They don't appear to lose the charge when turned off at the switch. What I would like to know is what is the float voltage for these. I did do some googling and found most "AGM Golf Cart" batteries like to float at 13.0 V. However I'm unsure. The settings on the controller for a sealed won't go down to 13V (only goes down to 13.7) So for now I have it set to a Gel battery setting but that only floats to 12.6 V. I'm leaving it there for now until I have more info.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @bimmer - please see rh5555 January 2021 posts in this thread for your answer:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/156482#Comment_156482
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM  Thank you Sharon, that is what I needed. Now I know I have the correct settings on the controller. To quote rh5555

rh5555 Member Posts: 398
    There are 3 cells in each 6V battery, so 6 cells total.  At 2.45V, this means the batteries can be charged with a maximum overall voltage of 14.7V instead of the standard 14.4V, and a float voltage of 13.8V instead of the standard 13.6V.  You could make these changes to your Victron unit, and it may enable you to charge your batteries a little faster - particularly when they are almost fully charged and charging rate is less than the output of your solar panels.
  • Options
    bimmer said:
    @qhumberd Thank you. For right now I have it installed but not on the roof yet. Panels are sitting on a table. Looks like all is working. Do I have to shunt it?
    Shunts are not required but if you install one at the battery it will track all current flow to all loads to and from your battery, including any charging current from panels.

• Options
    @qhumberd Yes, that would be something I could geek out on. I like to know everything I can about what is going on. I'll be looking into it. Thank you.
  • Options
    @bimmer I found I was checking the shunt a lot soon after I installed, but there are recovery programs I hear.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    @qhumberd I know...Isn't it terrible. Whenever I do a new project, I get so excited. I found myself sitting and watching the solar controller all day. I just installed everything yesterday. This will go on for a week I fear.  =) There is a shunt in my future. I must have more info........ B)
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited July 2023
    I installed the Victron Shunt with the display, and Bluetooth connectivity.  If you used the Victron Solar Controller, the way to go,would be with the newer Victron 
    Smart Shunt, which does not have or need  the display, as it displays the data on the Victron smart mobile phone app.  Well worth investing in.  You can also,get the build date of your TaB400 from the sticker on the driver’s side of the trailer tongue.  

Since you have the two Harris 6VDC batteries, your trailer was built after Feb 2018.  Ours was built in Jan 2018, and missed the new battery setup, using a single 220 lb 12VDC AGM battery that is a beast to lift out.  If you end up replacing the AGM batteries, consider getting the Battleborn 12VDC Lithium nüCamp is currently using, and they weight less than half of the AGMs!
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16 Sorry for the time delay in responding. I was up a mountain dispersed camping with absolutely no connectivity for the last two weeks. Yes, I will look into the Victron smart shunt. Thank you. I'm also considering replacing the batteries at some point MAYBE. Mine are working well and I used my new 300W solar panel with a generic controller and worked out fine for the last 2 weeks. I don't know how heavy my 6V Harris batteries are. I know they are heavy, but OMG 220 lbs battery is just nuts.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2023
    @bimmer, hope you had a good time. I think the Harris batteries are round 90-100 lbs each?
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.