Options

2019 T@b 400 a/c noise

Saharas_DaddySaharas_Daddy Member Posts: 3
Last year when I ran my A/C the noise level from my a/c unit was so loud that it scared my dogs and hurt my ears also. Are there any modifications that can be made or replaced with a quieter system. Thanks in advance.
2020 T@G 320 CS-S, towed by a 2010 Jeep Liberty 4x4, Long Island, NY

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,194
    Do you have the Air8 system? If so I believe this was a common complaint. In general RV AC is pretty loud. I have the ducted Cool Cat and that's still noisy....but not loud. Maybe others with the Air8 can comment but I want to say that was a common complaint. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi,

Sorry about your dogs.

If you have the Air8, you may be able to get some sort of sound deading blanket and place it around the unit.  I sleep on the side of the Air8 and noticed a cyclic type humming sound (from the compressor).  I stuffed some clothes (sweatshirts/jackets) I wasn't wearing between the bottom of the cushion and the Air8 and it almost eliminated the cyclic sound I heard and even made the overall sound a tad less.  

Out of curiosity, I also measured the sound decibals (some free apps on your phone) and it is really about the same loundess as other ACs in small trailers.

Also, make sure the tie down strap is tight.  If not, you may be getting some extra vibration.

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    If you have a 2019 It seems like you have the Coolcat unit under the dinette bench. When I clean the filter I see there is some room around the unit so maybe some sound insulation is possible. Low fan might be less noise but mine seems about the same noise wise on both speeds.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The Air8 was only in the 2020 TaB400.  All others have the CoolCat AC, which is normally not that loud.  You might check the filter, which is in front of the AC, under the Pax side of the dinette bench.  You may have the limit up flap under the cushion, if not, you will need to remove the bench top (several,screws) and lift the top ply panel up to get to the filter.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @Saharas_Daddy - your signature line lists a TaG.  Do you need to update that to the 400?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio