Options

Pleated Blinds - what do you do?

We have recently purchased a new 2023 NuCamp 400 Boondock.   The handbook instructs that the pleated blinds should be left open (down) when the trailer is stored and also also when driving.   My understanding is this is to alleviate heat buildup between the blinds and the acrylic window.  I was disappointed in reading this since those two occasions are just when closed blinds should be most important.   Since we live in hot sunny Florida, we are not sure what to do.    By the way, those pleated blinds are fragile!

How do others handle this?

MaAndPa
2023 NuCamp 400 Boondock 

Comments

• Options
    JohninMissouriJohninMissouri Member Posts: 28

We found something that works for our 100 degree weather.  Soft foil inserts.

Double sided reflective foil.  ~~1/8 inch thick.  Soft flexible.

• Options
    JohninMissouriJohninMissouri Member Posts: 28
      Cut with straight edge and blade.  Cut uniform holes with hole-saw and drill.   Holes on top and bottom to ventilate heat.  

Slip into window track.   .... So cut side appropriately to make a friction fit.  Material is very pliable/flexible but still stiff. 
       https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0831S7LHH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The door already has reflective foil, so we just leave it cracked at top for the heat to escape.

We store them at home when traveling.

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,191
    The back of our 400 gets hit by the sun in storage so I’ve always left the shades (not the blackout shades) drawn and have had no issues. 

My understanding is that when traveling it’s good to leave them all open to alleviate stress on the mechanisms which are under tension when closed…but that’s not official, just something I’ve heard. 

I honestly think you’re fine leaving the shades drawn but I’d be hesitant to have the blackout shades drawn for fear of heat buildup between it and the window.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The instructions that come with the window info from nüCamp states, both the 
    blinds and shades shows be up (retracted) whilst towing.  On. TaB400, this allows the driver to see through the trailer front window and out the back window (via the mirror) to see what is behind you.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    You’re right - the blinds are fragile. Handle with care, for sure. They’re great shades, though - you can pick exactly how much light you want and where you want it.

One advantage of having the rear window shade down while driving- assuming your tow vehicle is tall enough (ie, a truck) - you can see vehicles behind your trailer while you’re driving.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    Sorry, having both the front and rear window shades down…
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @MaAndPa - please see the link below for a full discussion of this topic.  

NuCamp recommends retracting the blinds/screens while underway to prevent excessive wear and tear on the cording and pleats.  “For towing or storage we recommend having the blinds/screen open (windows uncovered). If you leave the blinds/screens closed they can start to lose their form over time.”

The warning label on the window instructs to close windows when underway and to retract the blinds in direct sunlight.
    The manufacturer warns about excess heat build up IF the outside of the shade has reflective material and no ventilation.  That is not the case with our TaBs pleated shades - not reflective and plenty of ventilation between the window and the shade.  There have been no reports of warping or damage due to excess heat from using the shades.  See Jimcenname’s October 2019 post in the link for an explanation by the manufacturer.

So, use your shades when stationary at a campsite!

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10072/warning-label-on-windows-not-to-have-window-shade-covering-windows-while-the-sun-is-shining-do-you/p1
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MaAndPaMaAndPa Member Posts: 9
    Thank you everyone for all the helpful comments, links, and pictures.